10557Re: questions

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Dec 4, 2003
      Oh well, why not?

      >1. Have you read The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and/or The
      >Silmarillion?
      > If so, which, and how many times?
      All three. I'm not certain about the number. I've read the LotR more
      than the other two, and The Hobbit more than The Silmarillion.

      >2. Have you seen the movies?
      > Did you think they were an accurate representation of the
      >books?
      I've seen the first two, if you mean the recent ones. I've also seen the
      animated versions. The recent ones are better (and more accurate) than the
      animated.

      >3. Which is your favorite and why?
      Ambiguous question. Do you mean of the three books mentioned in the first
      question? The Lord of the Rings. Or do you mean of the movies? I like
      the extended DVDs of the recent movies best of the available movies.

      >4. Do you see any specific allegories that Tolkien may have written
      >into his writing?
      Sure, Leaf by Niggle is about the life of the (unsuccessful by worldly
      standards) artist--with hope of a reward in the afterlife.

      >5. Do you see any meaning Tolkien was attempting to portray?
      Yes. Many meanings in fact. Cf. the conversation between Eomer and
      Aragorn about morality, for one example.

      >6. Do you have a religious or spiritual orientation? (ie. Atheist,
      >Agnostic, Catholic, Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Wiccan, Satanist, etc.)
      Episcopalian--since you make a distinction between Catholic and Christian....

      >7. Are there any particular parts of any of those books that hold
      >significant meaning for you? If so, why?
      See my essay in Perry Bramlett's _"I Am in Fact a Hobbit"_ for an answer.

      >8. What background information, if any at all, do you see Tolkien
      >drawing from, and if so, what specifically do you see? (ie. Anglo-Saxon
      >lit, Icelandic lit, Nordic lit, Celtic lit, Classical lit)
      I've read Shippey's _The Road to Middle-Earth_, so I see a lot; one of my
      earliest published notes on Tolkien was an identification of the source of
      the Dead Marshes. You omit the influences of Middle English lit, Finnish
      lit, medieval Germanic lit, and medieval Latin lit. (According to my
      dictionary "Nordic" does not include Germanic.)

      >9. What do you think Tolkien �meant� in his writing?
      He meant for his readers to find their own applicability.

      >10. What similarities and differences do you see between the writings
      >of J.K. Rowling and J.R.R. Tolkien? Specifically in reference to themes
      >such as good and evil, the
      >use of magic, and things of that nature.
      The basic distinction is not one of magic. Tolkien wrote a children's book
      (The Hobbit) and then an adult work (The Lord of the Rings). Rowling is
      doing a seven-book series that began as children's books and is developing
      into teenagers' books.

      (I can't imagine the usefulness of this sort of questionaire--it seems to
      be intended for highschool students.)

      --Joe
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic