10512Some questions for a Thesis

  • Daniel B. Karpouzian
    Dec 2, 2003
      I am just finishing up a thesis on Tolkien, involving different allegory
      and different meanings that people see and draw from J.R.R. Tolkien’s
      writing, and I would VERY MUCH APPRECIATE answers to the following few
      questions. And also, a quick answer would also be appreciated! :-)
      1. Have you read The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and/or The
      Silmarillion?
      If so, which, and how many times?
      2. Have you seen the movies?
      Did you think they were an accurate representation of the
      books?
      3. Which is your favorite and why?
      4. Do you see any specific allegories that Tolkien may have written
      into his writing?
      5. Do you see any meaning Tolkien was attempting to portray?
      6. Do you have a religious or spiritual orientation? (ie. Atheist,
      Agnostic, Catholic, Christian, Buddhist, Muslim, Wiccan, Satanist, etc.)
      7. Are there any particular parts of any of those books that hold
      significant meaning for you? If so, why?
      8. What background information, if any at all, do you see Tolkien
      drawing from, and if so, what specifically do you see? (ie. Anglo-Saxon
      lit, Icelandic lit, Nordic lit, Celtic lit, Classical lit)
      9. What do you think Tolkien ‘meant’ in his writing?
      10. What similarities and differences do you see between the writings
      of J.K. Rowling and J.R.R. Tolkien? Specifically in reference to themes
      such as good and evil, the
      use of magic, and things of that nature.

      Thank you all so much for your help, and you will be cited if I use your
      answers. If you would like a copy upon its completion, pls. let me
      know! :-)

      I remain,
      -Daniel B. Karpouzian