1039Re: Oh Peter, Peter, Peter Beagle...

  • Mary Kay Kare
    Jan 3, 2000
      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > From: Stolzi@...
      > In a message dated 1/3/00 11:16:14 AM Central Standard Time,
      > mwinslow@... writes:
      > > Beagle creates her as a real character before
      > > 'sidetracking' (as it were) with the actual storyline.
      > Imnsho, he didn't need to spend that much time on it. And the little
      > rambling verbal asides meant to establish Jenny's character and her
      > "realness" were so over-frequent that I was almost at the point of yelling at
      > the book, "Shut UP, girl!" :)
      > An interesting exercise wd be to xerox those first chapters and go at them
      > with a blue-pencil, see how much really NEEDS to be there to do the
      > establishing.

      Interesting. I didn't have any trouble at all with the beginning being slow.
      ONe of the things I enjoy most about fiction is getting to know people I'd
      otherwise never encounter. And that's what we were doing with the long
      beginning. I guess I just liked hanging ou? with those people and wasn't
      waiting imaptiently for the 'fantasy' to start.

      > And again I say -- "How did Evan meet Sally in the first place?"

      Well, gee, maybe he just liked hanging out with musicians. I do it a lot and I
      was (when I worked) a librarian. I have a vague memory that he was in the US on
      business and they met somehow through the musical connection.

      > Had I been editing it, too, Sally would have been "Mom." There's too many
      > names and roles to keep straight, what with Jenny's NYC friends, and her UK
      > friend we've not even =met= yet, "Meena," whom she keeps referring to...
      > Even though the kind of girl Jenny is might well call her mother "Sally,"
      > "Mom" would have placed her and put her in her role with much less effort for
      > the reader.
      > In Susan Cooper's THE BOGGART, I had the same trouble with daughter Emily and
      > mother Maggie. ("Which one is it this time!?!?") That one's told in the
      > third person, though. If Maggie had been referred to as "Mrs..." more often,
      > it would have helped. I think it's all right to call such a character
      > "Mother" or "Mrs" when the book is so definitely a juvenile, and Maggie is so
      > definitely married. But I suppose authors are scared of running into the
      > whole Mrs/Ms problem.

      I didn't have this problem with TAMSIN but I know what you mean. The book I
      most recently had that happen with was Pat Murphy's THERE AND BACK AGAIN. I
      couldn't keep the sibs straight, but then, I couldn't keep the dwarves straight
      in THE HOBBIT either. Still have trouble after all the re-readings in the past
      30+ years.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic