1033Re: Oh Peter, Peter, Peter Beagle...

  • Matthew Winslow
    Jan 3, 2000
      Stolzi@... [Stolzi@...] wrote:
      > But didn't you find that it took a long time starting? This was one of the
      > few criticisms that I - and many reader-reviewers on amazon.com - had. Too
      > much background, too much rambling in the (startlingly accurate) voice of the
      > teen girl narrator. Too long before they get to the farm and the
      > strangenesses begin to appear.

      I had this problem with the book, also. Matter'a'fact, I almost chucked it
      before finishing. Writing now from the other side of the back cover (yes, I
      finished it), I see that all that set up had a purpose, but that doesn't help
      one having to wade through it for the first time. Contrary to its title, the
      book is about Jennifer, so Beagle creates her as a real character before
      'sidetracking' (as it were) with the actual storyline. Still, it makes for
      some rough reading for the first third of the book. I expect this one'll end
      up on the MFA long list, if not the short list.

      "I want to overhear passionate arguments about what we are and what we are
      doing and what we ought to do. I want to feel that art is an utterance made
      in good faith by one human being to another. I want to believe there are
      geniuses scheming to astonish the rest of us, just for the pleasure of it.
      I miss civilization, and I want it back."
      --Marilynne Robinson
      Currently reading: Pharaohs and Kings by David Rohl
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic