10280RE: [mythsoc] free Ring inside

  • David S. Bratman
    Oct 23, 2003
      At 02:28 PM 10/22/2003 , Lizzie wrote:
      >PS I have one of the Three, and a Silmaril, and I dare you to say anything
      >about either. Hmph.

      I say it's rather sad. How could any imitation Silmaril possibly convey
      even the echo of the Jewels that alone captured the light of the Two Trees
      of Valinor in bloom, jewels wrought by the unsurpassable mind and hand of
      Feanor? Even to try is to reduce Tolkien's brilliant imaginative creation
      into a gee-gaw.

      At 09:35 AM 10/22/2003 , Margaret Dean wrote:
      >I've read of people wearing heavy washers around their necks to
      >simulate the =weight= of the Ring. But that definitely
      >emphasizes the "burden" part of it.

      That also misses the point. Had Frodo (or more likely Sam) carried a
      balance scale all the way to Mordor, no weighing of the Ring would have
      detected even the slightest increase in physical weight. (See Tolkien's
      comments on the nourishment of lembas in Letters p. 274 for the clearest
      analogy.) The burden was a psychological one, and weighs Frodo down the
      way sorrows can weigh a person down; only it was conveyed through the
      external force of the Ring, which is why it's focused on that physical object.

      Anyone who wants to replicate the burden of the Ring would be best advised
      to acquire a martyred saint's relic and meditate on it.

      - David Bratman
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic