10178Re: [mythsoc] Eos, Phosphorus,Vesper,Venus, Lucifer, Ceyx - Oh my!

  • David S. Bratman
    Oct 3, 2003
      At 08:28 PM 10/2/2003 , Benjamin K. Badgley wrote:

      >Thank you. I'll also try the library as well. Web
      >information though is of no less value, combined the
      >two may present an objective view.

      Some web information is indeed excellent. But the chances of finding
      something worse than useless and not being able to realize how bad it is,
      or of not finding what you need at all, are much higher than with library
      books, though certainly they've been known to have their flaws too. The
      two are not at all equal. In some fields the web is even better. In
      something like Greek mythology, you're liable to find some good basic
      encyclopedia stuff on the web, though the best is probably in encyclopedia
      sites not easily found by Googling. But the rich detail you need to
      understand the myths is probably in large part not online, and that which
      is online would be too long to read comfortably that way.

      - David Bratman
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic