10161Re: [mythsoc] RotK Trailer

  • David S. Bratman
    Oct 1, 2003
      At 07:19 AM 10/1/2003 , Susan wrote:

      >Doesn't Gandalf say, at some point in the written RotK, "The board is set,
      >and the pieces are moving"? I can't find it at the moment, but I have a
      >distinct memory of that; and if so, the chess metaphor is Tolkien's, not

      Touche. But I still think the application of the metaphor is typical of
      Jackson's thinking, not Tolkien's. Notice how Tolkien, almost uniquely
      among fantasy authors, is able to write giant strategy sessions (the
      Council of Elrond and the Last Debate) that don't read like giant strategy

      - David Bratman
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic