10129Re: Re: Neil Gaiman, Writer Guest of Honor at Mythcon 2004

  • Deidre
    Sep 28, 2003
      At 01:41 PM 9/27/03 +0000, you wrote:
      >Message: 8
      > Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:17:08 -0400
      > From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>
      >Subject: Re: Neil Gaiman, Writer Guest of Honor at Mythcon 2004
      >
      >Lizzie, what don't you like about Sandman? >>
      >
      >well, it was a long time ago, a dozen years or so, but I think it was a
      >combination of the aesthetic style, which didn't appeal to me personally,
      >and the dark storyline. My friends, who owned a comic book/gaming shop,
      >loved it to pieces.

      Ah, well, different strokes for different folks.

      >I liked Gaiman's NEVERWHERE novel, though it was plenty scary.

      The BBC is finally putting the series out on video/DVD, or so I heard at
      Dragoncon.

      > His STARDUST
      >story, wh won a MFA, irritated me by putting irrelevant, explicit sex
      >scenes into a Tolkienesque fairy tale which would otherwise have been great
      >for the whole family. >>
      >
      >Yes I am working on my thoughts about sex scenes. Personally I like them,
      >but they are adult material and it does narrow the scope of readership.

      Curiosity has killed the cat and compels me to ask if either of you have
      read only the novel, or if either of you have read the graphic novel, with
      wonderful illos by Charles Vess?

      >There was a book once, MAYBE called _The Forest of Forever_ and maybe not.
      >Anyway it had frolicsome nymphs and suchlike, and it never got terribly
      >graphic but the intent was there. It was very light hearted and I'm sorry
      >to have lost my copy. Anyone remember it?

      Sounds familiar. You could look for it on Ebay or ABE. Don't remember the
      author, alas.

      HTH,
      Deidre
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic