Mythcon 41 (Dallas), Mythopoeic Awards, Membership Meeting

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3 4:33 PM
      Hello my friends and gentlehobbits,

      We have enjoyed a lovely Mythcon at UCLA, enjoying two splendid Guests of Honor in James A. Owen and Diana Pavlac Glyer, and you know what that means: time to buy your membership in *next year's Mythcon* while prices are low!!!

      * http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon/41/
      * http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon/41/registration/

      We also awarded four more Mythopoeic Awards and those details and the acceptance remarks are available at:

      * http://www.mythsoc.org/awards/2009/
      * http://www.mythsoc.org/awards/2009/remarks/

      Finally we enjoyed a well-attended meeting of the membership of the Mythopoeic Society on Monday morning, before closing ceremonies, which included an explanation of the upcoming increase in the price of membership. We've been creeping up for several years, relying on Mythcon to raise funds for the Society to cover the fact that memberships don't quite pay for the expenses of running the Society, but with the necessity of purchasing a large liability insurance policy for Mythcon this year we found we are better served to buy a general liability insurance policy for the Society; this means not only is Mythcon covered but so are other Society meetings (e.g., discussion groups).

      Of course we've never had a claim in more than 40 years but that doesn't alleviate the need to have liability insurance for Mythcon.

      Bottom line, we shopped around, found a good policy and it's expensive so we need to adjust membership with Mythprint upward by $5 per year. Just so you know, when that rate rolls up.

      Hoping you are enjoying your summer,

      -- Lynn Maudlin, SMC --