Mythcon and other Mythbusiness

  • Lynn Maudlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 18, 2009
      Hello Mythies, far and wide, near and narrow!

      Kindly note: it is now June 18th and in a bit more than 2 weeks the deadline for paying for your Mythcon room & board package and the opportunity to pre-register for the conference will *disappear* poof!

      JULY 6th is the day, fix it in your mind. See the fireworks on July 4th and think of Bilbo's birthday party and get your moolah in for Mythcon 40 at UCLA, July 17-20 <http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon/40>

      Why should you come? Surely you jest-- Mythcon is marvelous! Our secret blend of scholarly, fannish, friendly and fun makes the annual Mythopoeic conference a delight for first-timers and regulars alike.

      If you've never read "What is Mythcon?" on the website, please do take a gander <http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon/about/> (includes a link to the history of the Not Ready for Mythcon Players); also Neil Gaiman's quick blog-post on his experience in 2004 <http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2004/08/lewis-and-clarke-not-to-mention-snuff.asp> and his promised & reconstructed GOH speech <http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon/35/speech/>. In fact, I invite you to wander through the Mythsoc website conference history pages <http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon/history/> and delight at gems like Lee Speth's Mythcon 26 con report <http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon/26/report/>

      THE GUESTS:
      James Owen <http://www.heretherebedragons.net/?page_id=7> author & artist

      Diana Pavlac Glyer <http://www.theplaceofthelion.com/> Inklings scholar & author

      We will also enjoy the presence of Mythopoeic Society founder Glen GoodKnight and fantasy author Tim Powers

      THE VENUE:
      UCLA is a lovely campus and DeNeve Plaza is beautifully appointed and fully accessible (check out the Urban Dictionary definition of DeNeve Plaza--!).

      Amenities include:
      * Cable T.V.
      * High Speed Internet
      * In-room Telephone
      * Alarm Clock
      * Daily Maid Service
      * 24-hour Front Desk with Faxing and Photocopying Services
      * 850-seat Dining Room (featuring all-you-care-to-eat meals)

      UCLA presentation for conferences: <http://www.bclip.com/venue_viewer/ucla/>

      Please register, if you haven't already and do purchase your room & board packages (a variety are available; online at <http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon/40/registration/> via PayPal or by mail).

      Just think - in a month we'll be enjoying Mythcon 40 at UCLA!

      blessings,
      -- Lynn Maudlin --