Re: Call for Papers, 2003 Mythcon

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2002
      Stolzi@... wrote:

      > Please find below our Call for Papers for next summer's 34th Annual
      > Conference of the Mythopoeic Society, which will be held July 25-28 at
      > Scarritt-Bennett Center, Nashville TN.
      >
      > For further information on the Conference in general, please e-mail
      > Mary M. Stolzenbach at Stolzi@...; regarding Papers, contact the
      > Papers Coordinator, Dr. Theodore Sherman, by e-mail or at Box X041,
      > MTSU, Murfreesboro, TN 37132.
      >
      > We will be delighted to have your participation.
      >
      > Mary M. Stolzenbach, for the Committee

      Call for Papers

      Mythopoeic Society Conference XXXIV
      Nashville, Tennessee
      25-28 July 2003

      From Athena to Galadriel: The Image of the Wise Woman in Mythopoeic
      Fiction

      Author Guest of Honor: Sherwood Smith
      Scholar Guest of Honor: Dabney Hart

      Wisdom, both rational and intuitive, has often been symbolized by
      feminine figures, from Pallas Athene down to George MacDonald's
      goddess-figures; Charles Williams' Sibyl Coningsby; Tolkien's Galadriel;
      Lewis's Psyche; and many others. What roles and functions do the "wise
      women" play in mythopoeic fiction? Why do (mythopoeic) writers often
      personify wisdom as feminine?

      The Mythopoeic Society is an international literary and educational
      organization devoted to the study, discussion, and enjoyment of the
      works of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams, and mythopoeic
      literature. We believe the study of these writers can lead to greater
      understanding and appreciation of the literary, philosophical, and
      spiritual traditions which underlie their works, and can engender an
      interest in the study of myth, legend, and the genre of fantasy. Find
      out more about the Society and previous Mythcons at
      http://www.mythsoc.org/.

      Papers dealing with the conference theme are especially encouraged; we
      also welcome papers focusing on the work and interests of the Inklings
      (especially Tolkien, Lewis, and Williams), of our Guests of Honor, and
      other fantasy authors and themes, particularly George MacDonald. Papers
      from a variety of critical perspectives and disciplines are welcome.

      Individual papers should be suitable for oral presentation within 20 to
      30 minutes. Papers chosen for presentation at the conference will be
      considered for publication in Mythlore, the refereed journal of the
      Mythopoeic Society (http://www.mythsoc.org/mythlore.html). All papers
      should conform to the MLA Style Manual (2nd ed).

      Paper abstracts (250 word maximum), along with contact information,
      should be sent to the Papers Coordinator at the following address
      (e-mail is preferable) by 31 March, 2003. Please include your AV
      requests and the projected time needed for your presentation.

      Dr. Theodore J. Sherman, Editor
      Mythlore: A Journal of J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Charles Williams,
      and Mythopoeic Literature
      Associate Professor of English
      Murfreesboro, TN 37132
      615 898-5098 FAX