Fwd: News from Bree

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 12:08 PM
      ----- Forwarded message begins here -----
      From: David Lenander <d-lena@...>
      Subject: News from Bree
      News from Bree 3/31/99

      Greetings.

      1. This is the first of several planned periodic updates on developing plans
      for Bree Moot 4/Mythcon XXX. (A fantasy literature conference emphasizing
      J.R.R. Tolkien studies July 30-August 2, 1999, in Milwaukee). If you don't want
      to receive e-mailings like this one, please let me know that I should definitely
      remove your name from the list. This is a long memo, and I'd guess that future
      memos will be shorter. I'd originally planned monthly updates, but as
      we get closer to Mythcon, I might issue one every couple of weeks. There may
      also be an almost immediate follow-up to this one, within a week, as this memo
      may bring forth some additional information and/or possible corrections. If you
      have not joined the conference, you may also wish to confirm by return e-mail
      that you'd like to continue receiving these e-mailings. (d-lena@...) And
      visit our web-site if you have a chance, at
      http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BreeMoot.html

      2. If you'd like even more discussion of "Mythmoot" (the committee employs this
      shorthand expression, why not here?), you might be able to engage in some online
      discussion in the Mythopoeic Society's new electronic mailing list. There's no
      requirement for joining beyond interest in the subject. For complete
      information, contact Joan Verba, the list administrator, at verba001@...

      If you'd like just the most important announcements from Mythmoot (along
      with--possibly--some other Mythopoeic Society announcements) you could elect to
      join the Mythopoeic Society announcements list, which has little traffic, and
      would probably be shorter postings than these News from Bree postings. Joan
      Verba also administers that.

      3. Hopefully, by now, the Bree Moot 4/Mythcon XXX Progress Report 1 should have
      reached everyone concerned, including at least all U.S. members of the
      conference. Thanks to editor Matt Fisher and production editor Anne Osborn for
      sending these. I can e-mail or print out the information for anyone who hasn't
      received her/his copy. There is also our web-site, where all of the pertinent
      information should be available, and where I ve posted the text for PR#1 as
      received via e-mail from Matt. I will also try to at least excerpt
      information from this posting for placement on the web-site, as well. I'm not
      sure what exactly will be in Progress Report 2, but that will go to far fewer
      people, the members of the conference, plus, I suppose, people who've not yet
      joined but have indicated interest in attending. If you have questions you'd
      like answered, let us know what they are and we'll try to include them in PR#2
      (hopefully we can respond to your question more immediately, as well). I
      noticed two apparent errors in PR1. Jo Ann Johnson is the Registrar, not me
      (David Lenander), and so far as my records, the web-site and some publicity
      indicate, the conference membership rate goes up to $55 after April 4, not $50.
      I m asking the committee to reconsider this situation, as out publicity in PR #1
      has gone out a couple of months later than originally planned, due to confusion
      about the board & room rates at the conference center. Ask if you're not sure
      what to send and on behalf of the registrar, we will accept later payments at
      the $45 rate at least until April 15 from anyone who contacts us and explains
      that they ve only just received word about the conference. Matt Fisher will be
      editing PR2 as well, and can be contacted at fisher@...

      4. Deadlines. The most immediate deadline is April 1, the deadline for paper
      proposals to Papers Chair Jan Bogstad. As we understand that our program is not
      full, I expect that additional proposals will be considered after that date,
      probably at least through the end of April, but that will be dependant upon
      space available in the program. So, even if you're only thinking vaguely about
      a possible paper, you might want to write to Jan and let her know your ideas,
      immediately, so that she may have an opportunity to advise you as to whether
      the
      proposal could fit well into the developing program, or possibly give you some
      advice on shaping your proposal for Mythcon/Bree Moot.

      As mentioned above, the next deadline for membership rate is April 4, after
      which the membership rate rises from the current $45 to $55. Note the two
      cautions in point 3, particularly that we ll be accepting the $45 rate through
      April 15.

      The board and room package deadline is June 1. Again, this might be available
      after that date, or a somewhat more expensive package might be available, but we
      have plenty of available space until that date.

      July 15 is the firm deadline for advance registration for the conference, after
      that date membership will be $60. We may still process registrations received
      after that date (allowing pre-printing of badges for instance) which might save
      you some time at the door, but we will consider late registrations at-the-door,
      and collect any difference between the enclosed amount and $60.

      5. Members of the conference committee & e-mail contacts:
      Richard West is the chairperson, rcw@...
      Greg Rihn is the co-chair and Milwaukee coordinator, ggrihn@...
      Jan Bogstad is the papers chair, contact her at bogstajm@...
      Jo Ann Johnson is registrar, contact via David Lenander at d-lena@...
      David Emerson is programs co-chair, david.emerson@...
      Matt Fisher is editing the Progress Reports: fisher@...
      Phil Kaveny is Dealers Tables coordinator, phkaveny@...
      Charles Elston, curator of the Tolkien collection, Charles.Elston@...
      Joan Verba is acting Secretary for Mythopoeic Conferences, verba001@...
      Other members of the committee include: Douglas A. Anderson, Eleanor Arnason,
      David Bratman, Sue Dawe, Michael Du Charme (film program), Michael Foster, David
      Hoose, John Houghton, S. Gary Hunnewell, Sylvia Hunnewell, Jan Long (Secretary),
      Jeff Long (Treasurer), Nancy Martsch (Beyond Bree editor), Georgie L.Schnobrich,
      Marion Van Loo, Mike Zielinski

      6. David Emerson would like to hear about any non-paper program proposals at
      david.emerson@...
      He particularly invites inquiries from any conference members who play musical
      instruments for some ideas he has. We're wide open on different program items.
      Past conferences have included panel discussions, group book discussions
      (sometimes hosted by members of the various Mythopoeic Society discussion
      groups), dramatic presentations, including everything from full-dress musicals
      to dramatic readings to puppet shows (even if Tolkien didn't believe in bringing
      fantasy to the stage!), costume and writing workshops, other kinds of
      performances, filk-singing, slide presentations, videos, living chess games,
      etc. The bulk of the program is usually a combination of formal papers and
      panel-style discussions, but we don't rule out anything in advance!

      For instance, I'd like to have a panel presentation of papers or discussion of
      upper-Midwest fantasy writers, for example, such writers as P.C. Hodgell,
      Eleanor Arnason, Caroline Stevermer, Patricia C. Wrede, Phyllis Karr, or Peg
      Kerr. I'd like to have a demonstration/discussion of fantasy/mythopoeic content
      in WorldWideWeb sites. I'd like to have a panel discussion of animal
      fantasy/beast fable, including children's books but not so limited. Send your
      ideas to David E, and I'll try to report more next month.

      Richard West notes that 1999 is the 50th anniversary of the publication of
      Farmer Giles of Ham and the 100th anniversary of the birth of Nevill
      Coghill (one of the Inklings). We hope to do something in honor of both
      anniversaries at the MythMoot. Obviously, any paper or program proposals on
      either topic would be especially welcome.

      7. Registrar notes. We've been gradually receiving questions for the
      registrar, about accommodations, directions to the convention site (the
      Archbishop Cousins Conference Center in Milwaukee). We hope to include
      much of this sort of information, including directions to the site and probably
      a map in future Progress Reports. But we'll probably overlook the most
      important question you have if you don't send it to us now. Send these queries
      to me for forwarding to Jo Ann Johnson (d-lena@...)

      8. Several of the Mythmoot committee members will be attending SF conventions
      in the upper midwest over the next couple of months. If you'll be at one of
      these conventions, you could certainly talk to one of us in person about
      Mythmoot developments. I know that there will be members at Minicon (April 2-4)
      and CONvergence in the twin cities, Minnesota, hopefully (?) X-Con in Milwaukee,
      and Wiscon in Madison. WE may even hold committee meetings there. Let me know
      if you'll be at any of these!

      9. Can you help us publicize Bree Moot 4/Mythcon XXX? Especially with our
      proposal coming together so late last year, and with our committee scattered
      over three metro areas (we've referred to it as 3M: Madison, Milwaukee and
      Minneapolis (or Minnesota, as some of us Minnesotans live in St. Paul!) our
      publicity has been scattershot. If you'd be willing to put out flyers at a
      conference or convention, or in a local bookstore, or post a flyer on a bulletin
      board, or send a press release to your local paper, particularly in the upper
      midwest, please let me know. You could also forward addresses of bookstores
      that might put out our literature (as opposed to tossing out our flyers with the
      junk mail) or newspapers or other publications that might run our conference
      information as a public service announcement. If you know someone who might be
      interested, send me an address for mailing one of our flyers. (Or better yet,
      tell your friend about Mythmoot!)

      10. As yet, we've heard of no firm bid for Mythcon or Bree Moot in the year
      2000. If you're interested, or might, possibly, be persuaded to work on one of
      these conferences, contact Joan Verba, Acting Secretary for Mythopoeic
      Conferences, or Nancy Martsch, editor of Beyond Bree.

      11. Official announcements are being prepared, but there will be several
      openings on the Mythopoeic Society Council of Stewards as several Stewards have
      either already stepped down or do not plan to run for re-election. If you might
      be interested in working on keeping the Society going, start thinking about what
      you'd like to do or see happen. Areas to focus on: Publicity, discussion and
      special interest groups, membership services, Mythlore, and future Mythopoeic
      conferences and the Fantasy and Scholarship Awards. With such a large turnover,
      the opportunities are wide-open. This will be a topic for discussion at the
      Mythcon Members' Meeting.

      David Lenander, Library Manager I
      Bio-Medical Library Access Services work: (612)626-3375
      Circulation, Core Collections & Reserve Desks home: (651)292-8887
      Diehl Hall/505 Essex SE fax: (612)626-2454
      University of Minnesota
      Minneapolis, Minnesota 55455

      e-mail: d-lena@...
      web-page: http://www.tc.umn.edu/nlhome/m391/d-lena/BreeMoot.html