Call for papers for Libraries and Popular Culture presentations at the Southwest/Texas Popular Culture Association

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 16 4:26 PM
      (This conference also has an Area on Science Fiction and Fantasy; go to
      the website below to see all the Areas and their chairs.)

      We are enclosing information about this year's call for papers for
      Libraries and Popular Culture presentations at the Southwest/Texas
      Popular Culture Association
      conference, which will meet again in Albuquerque in February of 2002.
      We would be very pleased to receive a proposal from you, and we would
      also appreciate it if you
      would share this information with other colleagues who might be
      interested.

      If you are interested in some other topic in Popular Culture, please go
      to the Association's web site for a list of other Areas and their
      chairs, or feel free to contact one of us
      about which Area would fit your paper best.

      Annual Southwest / Texas Popular Culture Assn.

      and

      Southwest/ Texas American Culture Assn.

      Meeting February 13-17, 2002

      Abstract/Proposals due by November 15, 2001

      Location:

      Albuquerque Hilton Hotel (new location this year!)
      1901 University, NE
      Albuquerque, New Mexico 87102

      For more details, visit the Associations web site at

      http://www.swtexaspca.org/

      The Libraries and Popular Culture area solicits paper proposals from
      librarians, graduate students, library school faculty, collectors,
      writers, and other aficionados (yes!
      including people who use libraries, too!) of popular culture and
      libraries! Also welcome are proposals for slide shows, video
      presentations, workshop formats, and panels
      organized around common themes. We encourage proposals related to
      archives, museums, and other information settings, too.

      Last year's excellent presentations included graphic novels in public
      libraries, social marketing in libraries, and Carnegie library
      architecture.

      Suggested topics for this year:

      -profiles of popular culture collections

      -reports of research studies in the area of popular culture and
      libraries

      -marketing popular culture materials to library users

      -discussion of intellectual freedom issues related to popular culture
      resources

      -collection building and popular culture resources

      -organization and description of popular culture resources

      -technology and popular culture in libraries

      and other topics welcome!!!

      Send a 200-word abstract to one of the area co-chairs by November 15,
      2001. Also include your complete mailing address, school or other
      affiliation, e-mail address,
      telephone number, and fax number.

      Rhonda Harris Taylor

      School of Library and Information Studies

      401 West Brooks, Room 120

      University of Oklahoma

      Norman, OK 73019-6032

      PHONE (405) 325-3921