FWD: Mythcon 32 Paper Call

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2000
      ----- Forwarded Message Starts Here -----

      PAPER CALL--the 32nd Annual Mythopoeic Conference (Mythcon XXXII)
      Theme: Many Dimensions: Modern Supernatural Fiction
      Clark Kerr Conference Center, Berkeley, California, August 3-6, 2001
      http://www.mythsoc.org/mythcon32.html

      Scholar Guest of Honor: David Llewellyn Dodds
      David Llewellyn Dodds is the editor of two books in Boydell and Brewer's
      "Arthurian Poets" series, one on Charles Williams and the other on John
      Masefield.

      Author Guest of Honor: Peter S. Beagle
      Peter S. Beagle, author of _The Last Unicorn_, _A Fine and Private
      Place_ and many other books, is considered among the finest of modern
      fantasy writers. He is a two-time Mythopoeic Fantasy Award winner, for
      _The Folk of the Air_ in 1987 and _Tamsin_ in 2000. Beagle was a guest
      of honor at Mythcon IV in 1974 and we are honored to welcome him back in
      2001.

      The Mythopoeic Society is an international literary and educational
      organization devoted to the study, discussion, and enjoyment of the
      works of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis and Charles Williams. It believes
      the study of these writers can lead to a greater understanding and
      appreciation of the literary, philosophical, and spiritual traditions
      which underlie their works, and can also engender an interest in the
      study of the genre of fantasy as a whole and the realm of myth and
      legend from which such authors derive their inspiration.

      Papers dealing with the general conference theme are encouraged, as are
      those examining Charles Williams� role and influence in this genre. We
      also invite papers focusing on the work and interests of our Guest(s) of
      Honor, or on the other Inklings (especially Tolkien, Lewis). Papers on
      other fantasy authors and themes are also welcome. We are interested in
      papers from a variety of perspectives and disciplines.

      Papers should be suitable for oral presentation within a time period of
      20 to 45 minutes, leaving 10-15 minutes for questions. They should
      conform to the MLA Style Manual. Papers chosen for presentation at the
      conference will be considered for publication in _Mythlore_, the
      refereed journal of the Mythopoeic Society. Abstracts of papers should
      be sent to the Papers Coordinator at the following address (e-mail is
      acceptable) by April 30, 2001:

      Edith L. Crowe, Clark Library
      San Jose State University
      San Jose, CA 95192-0028