128Mythcon 46 Registration now open online AND upcoming elections

  • lynnmaudlin
    Aug 20 1:55 AM

      Those of you who attended Mythcon 45 (August 8-11, 2014) know that memberships in next year's Mythcon were sold at the conference. I am pleased to announce that memberships can now be bought online via PayPal. We will shortly have the details for paying by check, for those who want or need a paper trail.

      Next year's author GOH will be Jo Walton http://www.jowaltonbooks.com/ and we will let you know who the scholar GOH is, as soon as it is confirmed. The theme is The Arthurian Mythos which is full of riches (do you realize we've only had one other Arthurian themed Mythcon?).

      "www.mythcon.org" has been redirected to next year's Mythcon:- it's the easiest way to give folks a direct link to the upcoming Mythopoeic Conference.

      IN OTHER MYTHOPOEIC SOCIETY NEWS, we do have our triennial election coming up late this fall. We have an almost-complete slate to present to the membership for voting; the position we are missing is the newly revised "Communications Steward", formerly the Corresponding Secretary position but updated to reflect the changing realities of social media. A full description of the job was included in Mythprint #369 but I'm including it here, as well:

      "This person is often people’s first contact with the Society, and requires someone with excellent written communication skills and great tact. The Communications Steward answers queries about the Society in various forms: paper (very rare); email (most common); and through our presence in a variety of social media. Currently we have accounts on Facebook (several pages and a group); Twitter; Google+; Pinterest; LinkedIn; Goodreads; Flickr; and a Yahoo discussion group.

      "When appropriate, the Communications Steward refers the query (and/or person asking) to another person, our web site, the mythsoc email discussion list, or elsewhere on the Internet. The major portion of this Steward position consists of managing (and preferably expanding) our social media accounts. The Communications Steward coordinates with the various department heads and others to collect and publish news, information and publicity about Society activities. This must be provided on a regular basis to keep the Society’s social media presence fresh and active. The Communications Steward, as are all Stewards, is a member of the Council of Stewards, the governing Board of the Society. This requires attendance (within reason) at quarterly meetings. Three are via conference call, and one is held at the annual Mythopoeic Conference. All Stewards are expected to contribute to overall governance with information, analysis, and meeting participation. This new(ish) position is an updated version of the former Corresponding Secretary."

      Please do consider whether this might be a position which would interest you and, if so, please contact Lynn Maudlin mythcon @ mythsoc<dot>org or Gerry Holmes secretary @ mythsoc<dot>org.

        -- Lynn Maudlin, Steward for Mythopoeic Conferences and 2014 President of the Society --

      Mythcon 46 - July 31 - August 3, 2015 - Mythopoeic Society