GS Valve Shims

  • michaelsucharski
    Message 1 of 3 , May 28, 2017
          Just did a valve check on my 1980 GS1000G.  All measurements were on the tight side.  So I need a complete set of eight.  Six 2.55, one 2,65, and one 2.35.  I would like to buy or trade for them (plus $).  The ones I have are all one size larger.  If nobody has a supply of shims, is there a reputable place I can buy them at without having to buy complete kits?

                              Mikey in Wisconsin
    • Owen Nieuwenhuyse
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2017
        On 29/05/2017 6:09 AM, rmikey1such@... [mysuzuki] wrote:
        > Just did a valve check on my 1980 GS1000G. All measurements were on
        > the tight side. So I need a complete set of eight. Six 2.55, one 2,65,
        > and one 2.35. I would like to buy or trade for them (plus $). The ones
        > I have are all one size larger. If nobody has a supply of shims, is
        > there a reputable place I can buy them at without having to buy complete
        > kits?
        Owen:
        I thought the accepted procedure in this case was to grind down the
        shims? :)
        What type of shims are they?
        Top of bucket, or fitted over the valve stem?
        Looking on Google, I see they are large, flat top-of-bucket types.

        Check Google. There seem to be a lot of articles on shims and
        shim-grinding there.

        Possibly the large flat shims should be replaced- the small, valve-top
        ones are easier to hold and grind, and more tolerant of misalignment and
        less-than-perfect finish.

        There seem to a lot of people selling actual shims as well. You could
        check the ads.
        Tracking back via the Images section may get you some good leads.

        --
        Owen Nieuwenhuyse
      • michaelsucharski
        Message 3 of 3 , May 30, 2017
          Owen,

              On the Suzuki GS series from the 1980's, they are bucket shims  29.5 mm..  They are made of hardened steel.  About 4140.  Unless you have a machine set up for grinding case hardened steel, it'd be cheaper to buy new shims.  I saw them for $11.23 each on the Suzuki site.  I saved all extra shims from my '83 GS850G (about 3 dozen), but let them go with the bike when I sold it.  So if I can't find someone willing to trade or sell extra used shims in the next couple of days, buying new ones will be my only option.

                                              Mikey in WI.

          In a message dated 5/30/2017 3:20:03 A.M. Central Daylight Time, mysuzuki@yahoogroups.com writes:
          On 29/05/2017 6:09 AM, rmikey1such@... [mysuzuki] wrote:
          >      Just did a valve check on my 1980 GS1000G. All measurements were on
          > the tight side.  So I need a complete set of eight.  Six 2.55, one 2,65,
          > and one 2.35.  I would like to buy or trade for them (plus $).  The ones
          > I have are all one size larger.  If nobody has a supply of shims, is
          > there a reputable place I can buy them at without having to buy complete
          > kits?
          Owen:
          I thought the accepted procedure in this case was to grind down the
          shims?  :)
          What type of shims are they?
          Top of bucket, or fitted over the valve stem?
          Looking on Google, I see they are large, flat top-of-bucket types.

            Check Google. There seem to be a lot of articles on shims and
          shim-grinding there.

          Possibly the large flat shims should be replaced- the small, valve-top
          ones are easier to hold and grind, and more tolerant of misalignment and
          less-than-perfect finish.

          There seem to a lot of people selling actual shims as well. You could
          check the ads.
          Tracking back via the Images section may get you some good leads.

          --
          Owen Nieuwenhuyse

          All Suzuki motorcycles ever made: http://www.suzukicycles.org

          <*> Your email settings: