Lasted WIP Delphi series (SGA McShep) First story

  • mysticmcknight
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2007
      Title: Glimpse

      Series: Delphi Series

      Author: MYSTIC

      Email: mysticmcknight@...

      Website: http://www.geocities.com/mysticmcknight/KimRstorylist.html

      Rating: R (for language)

      Pairings: McKay/Sheppard

      Category: AU

      Warnings:

      Season/Episode: None

      Spoilers: Duet, the Reunion Part 2

      Archive: Area 52, Wraithbait

      be, if he's careful.

      Glimpse

      It had been little over two weeks since they had returned to Atlantis
      from Earth, the Asurans gone back to their world, what remaining
      Ancients having been killed by their own creation and once more
      Colonel John Sheppard found himself skulking around labs with Rodney
      McKay. He also found himself listening to Rodney once more retell one
      of the newest science members to their city, of course blond,
      beautiful and well built, how it was his acting in convincing Woolsey
      what their `supposed' plan was, making the humanoid Replicators think
      they had discovered it only to set off Rodney's ingenious plan of
      forcing the Replicators to destroy themselves.

      John gave a silent sigh and then got an evil idea, well not evil per
      se, but fun. On one hand he knew it was totally unfair of him to as
      they say, `cock block' McKay, but the guy just seemed to make it way
      to easy or perhaps John really was as evil as his shoulder angel
      tried to tell him. Either way, he sauntered over to the woman, "Ah,
      Dr. Zerrick, right?" John asked, turning up his `vulnerable boyish'
      smile, that he knew most woman responded well too.

      The beautiful woman looked up, at first looking annoyed, then she
      relaxed and then she smiled, one of interest. "Yes, Shasha Zerric,
      and you would be..." but before she could say more Rodney
      interrupted, the smile now replaced with a dark angry scowl.

      "Colonel, have you suddenly received your PhD in physics?" Rodney
      asked.

      "No, not that I recall anyway," John smirked, enjoying seeing Rodney
      so wound up already.

      "Then perhaps you will let those that DO have one, do their jobs,"
      Rodney snapped.

      "I was just going to ask…Shasha, if she'd…" John began, his eyes
      turning to her dark green ones, seeing that he could get more then a
      bit of fun from McKay if he played his card right tonight. The next
      thing he knew he was being grabbed by McKay by the arm and being
      dragged into another room.

      "Back off McKay," John snarled.

      "You back off, Major," Rodney snarled once the door closed between
      the room they were in and now occupied.

      "It's Colonel, and I would think by now you would know…"

      "I know alright, Colonel Cock," Rodney growled. "Don't think I didn't
      notice. She's been here for over a week, and then when I suddenly
      show an interest, BAM you mosey on in and do your Captain Kirk…"

      John arched a brow and smirked, "Mosey?"

      Rodney didn't even hear him as he continued his rant. "You're not the
      only one in the universe that likes to get laid or perhaps someday
      more, or is this just a personal thing with you, some damn vendetta?"

      "Look McKay, it wasn't personal, I just thought I'd save the poor
      woman having to hear you go on and on about you winning that Sears
      Drama Festival award when you were a kid," John said moving farther
      into the lab, noticing some of the items on the far side shelf and
      one in particular actually looked like a white crystal
      ball. "Besides, I thought you and Katie Brown were an item?" he
      tossed over his shoulder, his interest in the shiny ball taking the
      forefront of his thoughts.

      "Yeah, well, after Cadman being in my head and that dinner…" Rodney
      shook his head, and moved to the control panel in the lab, then
      realized he had been sidetracked by Sheppard. "And for your
      information I could too have made a career out of acting," Rodney
      said, then taking notice of the data that was coming up on the screen
      and didn't pay attention to John any longer.

      John snorted. "Believe me, there are days I wish you had made a
      career out of acting," he mumbled just as he reached out and touched
      the white crystal ball to pull it off the shelf.

      ********

      John shook his head as he felt disoriented, but as he blinked his
      surroundings didn't look like the lab he had been in on Atlantis, it
      looked like he was outside somewhere. Slowly John sat up, realizing
      he was on the ground and seeing the snow brought on the realization
      that he was freezing cold and the sky was grey and everything for as
      far as the eye could see was covered in snow. "What the hell?" he
      said as he slowly got to his feet, taking notice he was dressed in
      layers of rags and his hands hurt like hell from scraps and other
      cuts, possibly from the being outside in the cold too often. "Oh,
      crap, I touched something and if…no, when McKay gets me out of this,
      he won't let me hear the end of not touching things." Looking around
      once more, he suddenly noticed a woman, dressed in a white flowing
      rob, her dark blackish-brown hair braided around back like a crown,
      standing close and just waiting with a small smile upon her pleasant,
      though not overly beautiful face. "Ah…hello?" John said. "I ah, know
      this will sound like a stupid question, but ah…where am I?"

      The woman gave a soft laugh, "As my creator would have said, the only
      stupid question is the one that was left unasked. As for where you
      are John Sheppard, you are seeing the world as it would be if as you
      asked, Meredith Rodney McKay actually pursued performing arts or
      acting as you called it instead of astrophysics and his other
      scientific interests."

      "Wait….you know who I am? And what do you mean? What does this?" John
      gestured all around him to the thick icy cold winter that surrounded
      him, "have to do with McKay? And second, who the hell are you?"

      "Which question would you like answered first?" the woman asked.

      "How about where am I?" John said.

      "You are currently on the part of Earth called Afghanistan…" the
      woman began.

      "Wait, that's not possible, that hell hole was a hot dessert," John
      protested.

      "In your time it was, but now it is not," she replied easily.

      "How does this have to do with McKay?" John demanded.

      "Rodney McKay went into acting, as I said, found he could make a
      decent living as a character actor, did many television shows and
      films, though never a star, it provided for him quite nicely. It also
      meant he was never assigned to Area 51, when an alien device brought
      back from a plant your people designated as M8S-372 and one of the
      scientists that was present when the device arrived, set it off. The
      result was the destruction of Nevada, California and another one
      third of the United States and brought on what you would call a
      nuclear winter. Rodney of course was killed along with everyone else
      in California, but since you were here in Afghanistan you survived,
      or I should say will only continue to survive for the next three
      days, which at that time you will succumb to the cold after giving up
      your shelter to a needy family and making the mistake of falling
      asleep in the snow."

      John's jaw hung open as if in shock, though he wasn't sure if he
      believed any of this, but the cold bit through his rags like knives
      and so to some degree this had to be real. "I…how…why?"

      The woman smiled again. "As for who I am, I am Delphi and I am one of
      many of the oracles my creator Janus made to help find options to
      fight the Wraith."

      "Wait, oracle, created…are you saying, this isn't real?" John asked,
      suddenly realizing that it might be some form of a dream or vision.

      "No it is not as these events have already happened in another
      universe, thus it was much easier for me to present this scenario to
      you," Delphi replied.

      John thought about it for a long moment, and then smiled, "You were
      created to find options for fight the Wraith right?"

      "Yes," Delphi replied, and then her expression saddened a
      touch. "However, Janus, our creator realized that searching quantum
      universes is as vast as there are variables to consider. Earlier
      attempts with mirrors to search other worlds proved too time
      consuming and in his words depressing, so he attempted to create a
      more compact and more selective method….the oracles of Delphi, Delphi
      being the name of his late wife and thus my template for my
      appearance."

      "I heard of you, in Greek Mythology class, but they were priestess or
      something that could tell a persons fate…oh," John said with sudden
      understanding. "They had one of you or something like that?"

      "Yes, many of the others that had not ran out or power, were taken to
      Earth when the Ancients departed, but for reasons I do not know, I
      was left here. Perhaps my creator had hopes that someone would come
      and be able to provide fresh points to scan," Delphi said.

      "I don't understand, if Janas could search the other universes, then
      why didn't they find a way to destroy the Wraith?" John demanded,
      trying to ignore the cold, for though a vision it felt damn real.

      "As I have mentioned before, since the variable vary as does the
      number of universes, there must be points to lock onto in order to
      search. The mirrors were too time consuming and they did not pinpoint
      the moment of convergence in order to determine if the event was past
      or if the event was in the future so it could be repeated for similar
      results. With the oracles, we would fix on two points and would
      search the quantum universes that surrounded them. Sadly, none were
      able to find the two points or the proper universe that lead to the
      destruction of the Wraith…at least not in this universe," Delphi
      explained.

      "Okay, then how about we change some of those things around and get
      out of this cold and try again?" John said, for he was more then
      ready to depart this depressing place.

      "There is more you need to know John Sheppard," Delphi replied. "It
      takes a great deal of energy to reestablish the two points in which I
      search. My power is failing and once it is gone, I expire and no, I
      can not be repaired. Janus did not have the insight or hindsight to
      make it possible, since at the time he could easily make more. I have
      locked onto you and Rodney McKay. I can at present search out
      universes within both your lifetimes, or the other one's lifetime
      should they outlive the other, though it does make it hard and uses
      even more power. I can disconnect and attempt to reestablish another
      set of points, but I would lose a great deal of power and can not
      promise you how many searches I will be able to make or if I will be
      able to reach very far forward in time."

      John once more stood frozen, this time from the knowledge he had been
      given. "Well, if anyone can defeat the Wraith in their life time…my
      money is on McKay," he said with confidence.

      "Then shall I look?" Delphi asked.

      "Yes, sure why not, but can I get out of here, it's kind of cold,"
      John said, giving her a charming smile, since it automatic with
      lovely women.

      Delphi nodded and then closed her eyes. Their surroundings blurred
      and then it was like they were standing in light, white light, but
      not blinding. John looked hard, but he could see nothing of shape
      anywhere around him. He then turned to see Delphi's eyes open and for
      a moment felt like he was looking into the deepest part of space and
      then falling, then he blinked and felt himself again. "Well?"

      "My creator's people searched for generations and could not find one
      universe tied to anyone in the city that lead to the defeat of the
      Wraith, but here and now after ten thousand years, you John Sheppard
      have found the key. You are correct, there is a 20% chance that
      Rodney McKay will discover the means in which to destroy the Wraith
      in his lifetime," Delphi said, looking pleased.

      "Only 20%?" John asked, not quiet sounding so enthused by such a low
      percentage.

      "John, there are many variables, which bring about many different
      futures. The fact that what I have found exists is amazing, 20% is
      actually very impressive. I can also show you a general future if
      you'd like to see one?" Delphi asked.

      "General?"

      "Yes, it would be one that would reflect the most common of variables
      between the majority of the universes; perhaps you will see and learn
      something of importance?" Delphi asked.

      "Sure, lets…" John waved at her for her to do her thing.

      A moment later, John was standing next to Delphi in a room that
      looked like a cross between a bedroom and the computer lab on
      Atlantis. He also felt…off, like something was different. "What's
      going on?" he asked her. "Why do I feel so…strange?"

      "I have taken us to the farthest point in the future where the
      majority of common factors remain, and at this point you have died,
      but Rodney McKay still lives…see?" she said as she lifted her hand
      and pointed to someone entering the room. "Since you are not alive in
      this future, he can not see or hear you, but you are free to observe
      for a little while," she added.

      John stared at the old man that kind of limped and dragged himself
      inward, for the man looked so old, so worn down almost
      empty. "Rodney?" John called out, forgetting for a moment he couldn't
      be heard.

      "He can not hear you," Delphi said.

      "How far into the future are we?" John asked, figuring it must be
      fifty or sixty years.

      "Twenty-two years," Delphi replied.

      "Twenty…but…he looks…" John turns back to Delphi. "Did he get
      attacked by the Wraith?"

      "No, his age is not from the Wraith, it is from stress and overwork
      and the lack of support for his spirit," Delphi said.

      "What about his friends and his family?" John demanded.

      "His friends either died, such as yourself or they married and moved
      away."

      "But…" John looked around, but he could see nothing personal outside
      some pictures of Rodney's old accomplishments. He even spotted a
      Nobel Prize sitting in the corner of a shelf gathering dust. "What
      about his wife, kids…that sort of thing…someone?"

      Delphi shook her head no, "He never marries and the last woman he
      loved broke his heart and his soul, there was never anyone else. In
      the majority of the timelines I have searched Rodney McKay dies
      alone."

      "No," John growls. He then storms up to Delphi, but she does not
      flinch or is affected by his anger. "No, that is not right. He works
      his ass off to keep Atlantis going, he finds the damn key to
      destroying the Wraith and you're telling me his reward is to die
      alone? No, now way in hell! That can't…it…its wrong!"

      After a long moment, John gathers himself. "What about the non-
      majority time lines? Isn't there one where he gets his reward of his
      Nobel Prize and his family and kids that…that love him, where he's
      happy and gets to enjoy his hard work in a safe universe?" John
      demanded.

      Once more Delphi closes her eyes, and once more the world around John
      blurs, but this time John feels it…a shift…a struggle, and then he is
      once more standing in the white light area. "What's wrong?"

      "I am low on power, John. But I have done what you asked; I have
      found a timeline in which Rodney McKay will have all you request, but
      it is a very minute possibility of coming about without assistance
      and guidance. If you are willing, I will use the rest of my power to
      show you this future and inform you of what you must do in order to
      see to it's existence," Delphi said, even her voice sounded tired.

      "Perhaps we should focus on destroying the Wraith," John began, then
      stopped and rethought what he said. "No, no, forget that. Show me
      what you were going to, for if this happens he'll bring about the
      defeat of the Wraith too right?"

      "Yes," Delphi said, then once more closed her eyes and the world
      shifted.

      *******

      John found himself laying in bed, blankets up to his chest and
      wondered if he'd been dreaming. He rubbed his face and could tell he
      needed a shave, then slowly sat up and that's when it struck him…this
      was not his room! "What the?" He looked around and next to the bed
      on his side was a nightstand and there was a note addressed to him.
      Slowly John reached out and picked it up. Inside was written a date
      and the words <i>"Totally worth it!"<i/> sighed by himself.

      The sound of a door opening brought John out of his thoughts as he
      tried to wonder why he wrote such a note to himself. He turned and
      saw an older Rodney coming in, smiling happily. "Rodney, what are
      you…?" he began.

      "Ah, sleeping beauty awakes, good," Rodney said as he dropped his
      laptop on a table nearby and headed to the bathroom.

      It was then that John noticed the bed he was in was a king size bed
      and that things were definitely not what he last recalled them to
      be. "Rodney…" he called out, figuring that if anyone could fix this
      mess it would be Rodney McKay.

      "Hey, I have to go to the mainland to oversee the science fair, I
      promised Teyla I'd be one of the judges, though she also made me
      promise to not make any of the kids cry," Rodney shouted from the
      bathroom. "Which of course means, you'll have to pick up the twins…"

      "TWINS!" John shouted, for this was too much.

      Rodney exited the bathroom with great concern on his face and headed
      directly to the bed and sat down next to John and placed his hand on
      his forehead. "You okay, John. You said last night you were not
      feeling too well. Perhaps I should call the infirmary…"

      "No, no," John said, struck by the naked concern in McKay's blue eyes
      as well as by how well he seem to be aging. "I just…it's just…twins?"

      Rodney chuckled, his laugh free and his smile so sincere, John
      wondered if he had the right McKay after all. "The best part of being
      grandparents is we get to send them home." He then cupped John's face
      and kissed him tenderly, lovingly, then let his thumb caress John's
      lips. "I tell you what. You look kind of beat, why don't I get the
      twins, I'll sick them on their Aunt Teyla, which will serve her right
      for guilt tripping me into being a judge at the school science fair,
      and you rest."

      "I ah…" John was at a loss for words.

      "What's this?" Rodney said and grabbed the note from the desk that
      had been addressed to John. After he took a moment to read it he
      laughed, "You're not getting senile you old goat, you don't need to
      write reminders of our anniversary…you've never forgotten it and I
      know you never will," Rodney said, once more kissing John lovingly
      before putting the note down and standing up. "Rest, I'll be back
      later. Call me if you need me to return sooner," Rodney said, then
      placed a tender kiss on John's forehead before heading out.

      A heartbeat or two, after Rodney left, John noticed the wedding band
      on his hand. "DELPHI!" he shouted, sure as anything she had something
      to do with this.

      "You do not need to shout, I am right here," Delphi said warmly.

      "What the hell was that?"

      "That was a glimpse into the one timeline that will allow Rodney
      McKay to have everything you wanted him to have; a Nobel Prize, a
      family with kids that love him, where he's happy and gets to enjoy
      his hard work in a safe universe," Delphi replied very pleasantly.

      "But I meant with some woman, not me…I mean, I'm not gay…McKay's not
      gay, I…" John began to sputter.

      "That is one of the many reasons this timeline is so rare and for
      Rodney McKay to have all you requested was so difficult to find.
      Without you, there will be no kids, no family and he will be as we
      saw or he will die, mostly before he discovers the key to defeat the
      Wraith, which no I can not just simply tell you how as that is too
      complex a matter and after several attempts on my behalf I an still
      not able to simplify it enough to explain the many steps involved.
      This way, McKay gets what you stated he deserved and you get the end
      of the Wraith," Delphi said, then the world around them flickered and
      once more they were in the room of light, but it seemed very dull
      suddenly.

      "My time grows short, John Sheppard. But before I depart there are
      some key events that you must be aware of to assure the timeline you
      have witness happens. One is that you must marry Rodney McKay on the
      date you saw on the note you wrote to yourself," Delphi said.

      "That alone is strange, but not only am I not gay, that's three
      months away, are you insane?" John asked, his mind whirling.

      "Another," Delphi said as if John had not spoken, "under no
      circumstances before you are married must Rodney McKay and this
      woman…" an image of a blond woman that could almost be a Michele
      Phieffer look-a-like appeared next to John. "Doctor Usha Tembre from
      P1X-093 never meets. If this happens, then one of the first timeline
      I showed you will be the result…she is not an evil woman, but she is
      desperate to help and protect her people and will use Rodney McKay to
      achieve that goal. Also note, she is also the reason many of the
      other timelines Rodney McKay does not find the key to the destruction
      to the Wraith."

      This was some serious information so John cut his own rant and
      acknowledged what he was being told. "Got it, Tembre/McKay bad," John
      said. "How do I know this isn't some…elaborate dream or something?"
      John asked.

      Delphi gave him a knowing smile. "When you awaken, you will be in the
      infirmary…"

      "Well, you have to admit, even I figured that was a good
      possibility," John interrupted.

      "This time nearby you will see one of your soldiers, his name is
      Corporal Anthony Miller, he looks like this." An image of the young
      Marine appears suddenly as does another man dressed in a long medical
      white coat. "This is Dr. Henry Russell, a good man, but too much in a
      hurry that he will not notice that the medication he is about to give
      Corporal Miller is something he is seriously allergic too and will
      cause him to have serious consequences with his health later in his
      life. You're proof will be in stopping this from happening."

      "So, you're saying I have the power to change the future?" John asked
      with a bit of skepticism.

      "Do not all humans?" Delphi asked. "But you John Sheppard now have
      the knowledge of what needs to be done in order to have the future
      you requested."

      John took a deep breath then let it out, deciding he'd figure this
      out later…much, much later. "How do I get out of here?" he finally
      asked.

      "There is one more thing John Sheppard," Delphi said as she took a
      step closer and laid a hand on his arm. "PX4-222, you must remember
      that designation and you must let Rodney McKay go with another team.
      You will be tempted to go with him, but you must not. You must also
      keep faith that he will return to you."

      "I don't understand," John said, for Delphi had always been very
      specific about things so far.

      "I know, but there are something's that must be left to faith for
      other things to come about. If you chose to not marry Rodney McKay on
      the given date provided, then what I have told you will a moot point,
      the decision is yours…good luck John Sheppard. Thank you for letting
      me be the one to finally find the key and serve my true purpose," she
      said, then she began to fade.

      "Delphi…Delphi!" John called out just before his world went blank.

      *****

      The first thing John noticed was the sound of beeping. It only took
      him a moment to recognize the sound of the medical equipment in the
      infirmary and if the sound wasn't enough, the smell and the voices in
      the background assured him it was the infirmary in Atlantis.

      "I told you for the millionth time, he touched this crystal like
      ball, the same one that wouldn't come out of his hand until the power
      died and was in the state you found him in since then, nothing else,"
      Rodney said, his voice filling John's ears, and he could detect the
      undercurrent of fear and concern.

      "Rodney, I'm just trying to figure out what caused him to be in this
      state, his brainwaves are indicating he's conscious when he clearly
      is not, is the only thing I can find wrong with him. His vitals and
      blood work are all fine. I'm just trying to see if something had been
      overlooked," Carson said, his voice indicating frustration and an
      attempt to calm Rodney.

      "You're the high voodoo priest around here; how the hell should I
      know what happened to Mr. Magic Gene. I can't find anything in the
      data base, but we all know how superbly the Ancients left their data
      systems, so it's going to take some time," Rodney replied.

      John decided to put Carson out of his misery by pulling Rodney back
      from his verbal attack by letting them both know he was awake. "Can't
      you keep it down, I'm trying to sleep here," he said, a small smile
      crossing his lips as he opened his eyes and with the exception of
      some slight disorientation, he felt great.

      "It's about time you woke up, Colonel," Rodney snapped, though the
      relief in his eyes was clear to see.

      "How you feeling, Colonel?" Carson asked as he moved to the other
      side of John and began to evaluate him again.

      "I feel fine," John began, but then he noticed just to the left of
      Rodney, where the privacy curtain was not fully pulled closed,
      Corporal Anthony Miller, just like Delphi had said, sitting on an
      exam table his jacket off ready to receive a shot. Approaching him
      was Dr. Henry Russell and he was holding a needle and some medication
      that John knew he was about to use on Miller. Seconds felt like long
      agonizing minutes but as John saw the needle being filled then the
      area where it would be applied being wiped clean, John had to
      act. "DON'T GIVE MILLER THAT!" John shouted, practically jumping out
      of bed if not for Rodney and Carson keeping him put. "He's allergic
      to the medication in that needle," John said to Carson frantically.

      Thankfully, the commotion that John had caused, made Dr. Russell stop
      what he was doing, the needle an inch from Miller's arm. "What are
      you talking about?" Russell demanded.

      "The medicine in that needle is something he's allergic too," John
      stated, then turned to Carson praying he'd at least take him serious
      enough to check. Of course if he was wrong, he was going to feel very
      stupid.

      "Just calm down…everyone," Carson said, seeing Dr. Russell take
      John's accusation personally. "Let me just take a moment and check on
      things, will that be alright?" he asked both men. Seeing John nod and
      Dr. Russell take a step back from Miller, Carson took that as an
      agreement as well.

      John watched Carson walk over to Miller and after a few moments of
      conversation, which John couldn't hear as Rodney was prattling on
      about his touching Ancient items without permission again also known
      as lecture number 2, which at times can be confused with lecture
      number one; no touching and he was the smartest man in two galaxies.
      Since the latter had not been mentioned at the moment, John mentally
      took it for two and tried to tune him out. He really needed to know
      if he had dreamed it all or if his encounter with Delphi was real and
      if it was real…?

      "Colonel, are you alright, you're not looking too good all of a
      sudden," Rodney said, cutting his rant short at seeing John going
      pale. "Carson!"

      "Carson was apparently done with whatever he had been doing with
      Miller and Russell and hurried over back to John's bed side. "What's
      the problem?" he asked.

      "He suddenly went pale," Rodney said.

      "Are you…" Carson began, but John interrupted him.

      "Was it something he was allergic too?" John asked.

      "Aye it was, which begs asking how did you know? I didn't even know
      what Dr. Russell was going to be giving Miller as I wasn't treating
      him. Though he and I will be having a talk about reading medical
      records in full, though it was the standard medication for what
      Miller was in need of," Carson replied.

      "I…I'm…" John hesitated. Did he explain about Delphi and what she was
      and what she had been made for? If so, he'd have to tell everyone
      what she said and what he saw and more importantly what she
      discovered and said John had to do…marry McKay!

      "Aye, Rodney, you're right, he's gone pale again. Colonel, I think it
      best you just take it easy and let me run a few more tests on you.
      Rodney, you should go get something to eat and rest, you've been here
      for hours."

      "But…" Rodney began to protest, because John shouldn't be alone right
      now and Ronon and Teyla were not in the city at the moment and as the
      only representative of John's team it was his duty to remain, and
      more importantly John was his best friend and Rodney was worried his
      argument with John lead to him being neglectful in some way and was
      responsible for John being here in the first place.

      "You look as bad as I feel McKay, listen to Carson," John said,
      knowing he needed some quiet to think things through and decide on
      what if anything he would say. "I'm feeling kind of tired and I think
      some sleep would do me some good after all."

      "Alright, if you're sure," Rodney said, his eyes showing a hint of
      hurt at being sent away.

      "Once you've rested I expect you back later should I still be here
      with a laptop and some DVDs," John added before he even thought about
      what he was saying. He just knew he didn't want to see Rodney hurting
      or feel rejected. The smile proved it was the right decision.

      "Okay, off with you lad, I've got more chicken bones to rattle and
      blood letting to do," Carson said, waving Rodney off and pulling the
      privacy curtain fully closed. He then turned to John. "My tests
      aren't really showing anything, Colonel. But I'd like to run them all
      again just to be sure and if you could tell me anything, it might be
      helpful."

      "I…I'll sleep on it and see if anything comes back," John said,
      though he knew sleep would be difficult to reach with all the poking
      and prodding he was in for, but at least no one would be
      interrogating him and it would give him time to think…he just hoped
      it would be enough to make a decision…one that very well might effect
      the future.

      **********

      Rodney had returned as promise with some of Sheppard's favorite DVDs
      and dinner as it had gotten late. Teyla and Ronon showed up with
      trays in hand the they had a team movie night in the infirmary,
      allowed by Carson since he didn't have any other patients to look
      after, John only staying overnight for observation.

      The next morning John was released and headed back to his quarters to
      shower and change and went for a run with Ronon. After a while he
      slowed down just a little for he wanted some input on the decision
      before him. "Hey, can I ask you something?" John huffed as they ran.

      "Sure," Ronon said, not the least bit out of breath.

      "If you discovered that you could…I don't know, bring about the end
      of the Wraith and make a friend happy by…lets say doing something you
      normally wouldn't even consider, would you?" John asked.

      "Yes," Ronon said easily.

      "But you don't even know what that something is?" John countered.

      "Don't need to. If it's guaranteed to bring about the end of the
      Wraith I know I'd do it," Ronon replied.

      "What if it was something terrible? What if it was terrible and
      personal?" John asked, stopping to catch his breath and held his
      sides his face contorted with confusion and lack of air to his lungs.

      "Again, if it brings about the ensured end of the Wraith, I can't see
      how it can be all bad," Ronon replied, stopping and waiting slightly
      impatiently for John to catch his breath.

      "What…what if it meant…killing…Teyla?" John challenged. "What if you
      did that and you were wrong…"

      "You said the end of the Wraith was guaranteed, not just a
      possibility…that is a different question. If Teyla knew her death
      would being about the death of Wraith she'd take her own life," Ronon
      said. "Why do you want to know anyway?"

      "Just asking," John said, not ready to discuss this with anyone if
      ever.

      "Then you have your answer, let's go," Ronon said, done waiting for
      Sheppard and started running again.

      John just shook himself a bit, and then began running, thinking
      perhaps he needs someone else's perspective on the matter.

      ********

      "Can I ask you something?" John asked Teyla as he just dodged another
      attach from her sticks.

      "Of course, John," Teyla said, her focus as clear as always when they
      both practiced. "I was wondering when you would mention what was
      distracting you so much."

      "I'm not distracted," John denied, and then got hit in the leg by
      Teyla as if proof he was not paying attention. "Okay, okay," John
      said, holding up his sticks to put a temporary stop to their
      session. "It's just…what wouldn't you do to bring about the
      guaranteed end of the Wraith or a really huge percentage chance that
      they'd meet their end sooner then later?"

      Teyla arched her brown in the way she usually did when John asked her
      strange questions. "What has brought up such a topic, John? Have you
      discovered something?"

      John forgot how much at times he hated how perceptive Teyla was and
      now was one of those times. "No, no, it's just…I overheard a similar
      discussion and I got to thinking and I…just wondered, that's all,"
      John said, knowing Teyla would know he was still hiding something,
      but he hoped she wouldn't push it.

      "Well, I would take into account the percentage of success and
      compare it to the deed being asked of me," Teyla replied after a
      moment to think. "If the downfall of the Wraith is guaranteed as you
      said, then what was being asked of me would most likely be done, even
      if it was terrible. I would rather go down in the history of my
      people as a terrible person or forgotten altogether then let my
      people fade into extinction because of the Wraith…but that is me,"
      Teyla said, knowing John had something in his head he was not
      sharing. "Are you being asked to do something horrible?" she asked,
      hoping to gain some insight into what was bothering John.

      "No, no, nothing like that…just…thinking like I said," John said, for
      the idea of marrying a guy…marrying Rodney McKay was not horrible at
      all compared to what he could have been told he had to do. He also
      realized he had to make this decision on his own. "It's getting late
      and I have a…thing," John said indicating his watch, knowing Teyla
      knew he just wanted time alone to think…it was their way.

      "Very well, John. Same time tomorrow?" Teyla asked.

      "Yes, and don't be surprised if I kick your butt," John smiled
      charmingly.

      "If you did I would be quite surprised," Teyla said back, her smile
      and laughter taking out the sting of her words.

      "Very funny, I see you've been hanging out with McKay again," John
      replied.

      "It can not be helped, he is my teammate and my team commander has
      said we should `hang out' with one another," Teyla said.

      "Don't worry, I'll go have a talk with that guy, see if I can put
      some sense in his head," John laughed.

      "I wish you luck," Teyla said just as John walked out the door.

      John laughed, feeling a bit better and in a strange way did indeed
      get some fresh perspective on the matter. John headed to his quarters
      to grab a shower and spotted McKay exiting the transporter. "Hey,
      what are you doing on this level…get lost?" John teased.

      "If you were half as funny as your hair, you'd be making fortune at
      night clubs everywhere," McKay snapped back. "No, I was looking for
      you, one of the minions tried to bribe me with new Doctor Who for a
      better performance review, which of course I confiscated for his
      stupidity in thinking I took bribes in the first place and I wanted
      to know if you wanted to watch it with me?"

      "Now?" John asked, for it wasn't even close to dinner time.

      "Well…it doesn't have to be tonight, I just thought I'd ask," Rodney
      replied.

      John chucked, seeing Rodney misunderstood him. "I mean I was on my
      way to take a shower, McKay. How about…" John paused, as it struck
      him, perhaps it wouldn't be such a horrible sacrifice after all and
      it was supposed to lead to the end of the Wraith and it would make
      McKay happy.

      "Colonel, something wrong?' Rodney asked, seeing John had cut off
      himself suddenly.

      "I'm fine, I was just wondering, how about you bring the DVD over to
      my quarters tonight, say 1900 hrs and I'll provide the dinner and
      popcorn, what do you say?" John asked, turning on his most charming
      smile.

      Rodney looked at John with a touch of concern for a moment, and then
      shrugged it off. "Okay, I can do that, just make sure that the
      dinner…"

      "Doesn't have anything your hate or allergic too, I know Rodney, I
      know," John chuckled and then they both stepped into the transporter,
      Rodney touching the lab location.

      Rodney stepped out, "good, that's good. I'll see you then."

      "It's a date," John smiled and as the doors closed realized it really
      was one or the first of many in his attempt to woo one Rodney McKay.
      He also had to find out just how he was going to legally marry McKay
      in three months without getting court-martialed, but first thing was
      first…shower, then head to the mess and bribe the cooks to make a
      really nice dinner for one thing was clear, the way to Rodney McKay's
      heart was definitely going to be through his stomach. John laughed to
      himself as the doors opened on his level and he started walking to
      his quarters. "I sure hope she was right about this," John said to
      himself, glad he was alone in the hall as he reached his
      quarters. "Or I'm getting Rodney to build a time machine and go back
      and stop myself from being a total idiot…" John stopped just inside
      his quarters and looked around. Seeing no alternate version of
      himself he had to believe that either this would work out, Rodney
      couldn't make a time machine or he was the first before the time loop
      started…he decided to put his money on the first and take his shower.
      He'd already put more thought into this then he was comfortable and
      it was just better to take it one day at a time…for the moment.

      THE END

      This story is NOT posted anywhere else...feedback would be helpful
      and much appreciated.
    • amyjoamanda39
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 21, 2007
        Wow! Absolutely loved this story...what a different way to get
        McShep together! I can so see it in my head. Makes me wonder how
        the date went...and oh my god, can't you just see Rodney's surprise
        the first time Sheppard makes a move. Priceless, really.

        Thanks, you just made my day!

        :-) April

        --- In mysticmaddness@yahoogroups.com, "mysticmcknight"
        <mysticmcknight@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > his quarters. "I sure hope she was right about this," John said to
        > himself, glad he was alone in the hall as he reached his
        > quarters. "Or I'm getting Rodney to build a time machine and go
        back
        > and stop myself from being a total idiot…" John stopped just inside
        > his quarters and looked around. Seeing no alternate version of
        > himself he had to believe that either this would work out, Rodney
        > couldn't make a time machine or he was the first before the time
        loop
        > started…he decided to put his money on the first and take his
        shower.
        > He'd already put more thought into this then he was comfortable and
        > it was just better to take it one day at a time…for the moment.
        >
        > THE END
        >

        > This story is NOT posted anywhere else...feedback would be helpful

      • mysticmcknight
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 22, 2007
          --- In mysticmaddness@yahoogroups.com, "amyjoamanda39" <dmskrhz3@...>
          wrote:

          > Wow! Absolutely loved this story...what a different way to get
          > McShep together! I can so see it in my head. Makes me wonder how
          > the date went...and oh my god, can't you just see Rodney's surprise
          > the first time Sheppard makes a move. Priceless, really.
          >
          > Thanks, you just made my day!
          >
          > :-) April

          Yeah, First Feedback on my stoy! I'm happy you are enjoying it. The
          next chapter is in the works called "Court Jester" I'll let that sit
          w/ you a bit. I'm glad you liked it and thanks for the encouagement.

          Kim