Converting from GEDCOM

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 24, 2005
      Hello,

      I'm using My Roots on my Palm Tungsten E. I'm very happy with the
      Palm side of it. I use GenealogyJ on my computer (Mac running OS
      10.2.8). I can happily convert entries made on the Palm to a GEDCOM file that
      GenealogyJ can read. But when I change the entries using GenealogyJ and try to
      convert the resultant file back to read on my Palm the conversion routine just hangs.

      Any ideas why this happens - or is the output from GenealogyJ not
      compatible with the conversion routine (which means I'll have to fork
      out for Reunion, I suppose).

      Thanks in advance for your help,

      Dave Smith
    • Thomas Ward
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 25, 2005
        Dave,

        > I'm using My Roots on my Palm Tungsten E. I'm very happy with the
        > Palm side of it. I use GenealogyJ on my computer (Mac running OS
        > 10.2.8). I can happily convert entries made on the Palm to a
        > GEDCOM file that
        > GenealogyJ can read. But when I change the entries using
        > GenealogyJ and try to
        > convert the resultant file back to read on my Palm the conversion
        > routine just hangs.
        >
        > Any ideas why this happens - or is the output from GenealogyJ not
        > compatible with the conversion routine (which means I'll have to fork
        > out for Reunion, I suppose).

        Anybody else out there have experience with using GenealogyJ in conjuction
        with My Roots? Have you had any problems like the one described above? It's
        probably either:

        1. a bug in the My Roots Conversion Utility, or
        2. GED files created by GenealogyJ are not in accordance with the GEDCOM
        specification, so the conversion utility cannot import them

        Can you please send me an example of a GED file created by GenealogyJ that
        causes the conversion utility to hang? I will investigate and let you know
        what I find.

        Tom Ward
        support@...
        http://www.tapperware.com
      • Bob Mueller
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 25, 2005
          I had problems importing a GEDCOM from RootsMagic, and it turned out to be
          the Source info in the GEDCOM. If I export a file without the Source info,
          it works fine.

          In my case, the MyRoots creation utility bombed with an error code (that I
          can't recall at the moment).

          --
          Bob Mueller
          http://bob.ravensbeak.com

          But at no time does God promise us safe passage through life. There's a
          promise of safety in eternity, but not safety in time. If you serve and
          worship a Christ who saves by giving his life for others, you certainly
          can't expect to be protected in a way he was not. -- Rev. Joe Williams, FBI
          chaplain
        • Thomas Ward
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 26, 2005
            Bob,

            > I had problems importing a GEDCOM from RootsMagic, and it turned
            > out to be
            > the Source info in the GEDCOM. If I export a file without the
            > Source info, it works fine.

            As long as the file is in accordance with the GEDCOM specification, version
            4 should be able to import it with the sources.

            > In my case, the MyRoots creation utility bombed with an error
            > code (that I
            > can't recall at the moment).

            Did you send us an email to let us know about the problem?

            Tom Ward
            support@...
            http://www.tapperware.com
          • Bob Mueller
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 26, 2005
              At 07:38 7/26/2005, you wrote:

              >Did you send us an email to let us know about the problem?
              >
              >Tom Ward
              >support@...
              >http://www.tapperware.com

              Yes. You and I traded emails about it in Sept 2004. I was using a Direcway
              address then.

              --
              Bob Mueller
              http://bob.ravensbeak.com

              I believe that every individual is naturally entitled to do as he pleases
              with himself and the fruits of his labor, so far as it in no way interferes
              with any other men's rights. -- Abraham Lincoln
            • Thomas Ward
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 27, 2005
                Bob,

                > Yes. You and I traded emails about it in Sept 2004. I was using a
                > Direcway address then.

                And what was the final resolution? We don't keep emails that old.

                Tom Ward
                support@...
                http://www.tapperware.com
              • Bob Mueller
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 27, 2005
                  I forwarded the last email to your support address. I've not upgraded my
                  MyRoots or RootsMagic, so other than not including sources, I haven't
                  resolved the issue.

                  --
                  Bob Mueller
                  http://bob.ravensbeak.com

                  If tin whistles are made of tin, what are butter churns made of?
                • Thomas Ward
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 28, 2005
                    Bob,

                    > I forwarded the last email to your support address. I've not upgraded my
                    > MyRoots or RootsMagic, so other than not including sources, I haven't
                    > resolved the issue.

                    The new version 4 of My Roots should be able to handle your sources with no
                    problems.

                    Tom Ward
                    support@...
                    http://www.tapperware.com