Marriages are Missing

  • domisoft2003
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2003
      Hi,

      This is probably some thing I am doing wrong, please advise
      corrective action

      I still use "Brothers Keeper 5.1 for DOS" for my family records.

      I exported, and it says it exported the marriages, however when I
      import into MyRoots, the marriages are not recreated.

      Any one have any ideas?

      Dominic
    • Thomas Ward
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2003
        Dominic,

        > This is probably some thing I am doing wrong, please advise
        > corrective action
        >
        > I still use "Brothers Keeper 5.1 for DOS" for my family records.
        >
        > I exported, and it says it exported the marriages, however when I
        > import into MyRoots, the marriages are not recreated.
        >
        > Any one have any ideas?

        I haven't heard of this problem before, but if you'll send your GED file to
        support@... I'll try to figure out what the problem is.

        Tom Ward
        support@...
        http://www.tapperware.com
      • epidendrum01
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2003
          --- In myroots@yahoogroups.com, "domisoft2003" <domisoft2003@y...>
          wrote:

          > I exported, and it says it exported the marriages, however when I
          > import into MyRoots, the marriages are not recreated.
          > Dominic

          I don't know if your problem has been solved, but I "thought" I had a
          similar problem. (I use FTM and exported my files from there.)

          What I see is that if you have no marriage date for the couple, the
          marriage does not appear in the event screen with the spouse's name.
          If you tap the "Family" button, however, the wife's name appears next
          to the husband's at the top of the page. If there are multiple
          marriages, there is a drop down arrow to select the other spouse(s).
          It would be nice if I could see the marriage in the event screen with
          the spouses name, even if I have no date, but it is not a show-
          stopper.

          I just bought this program so I'm just getting familiar with it.
          Hope that helps.

          Nancy
        • Thomas Ward
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 21, 2003
            Hi Everyone,

            I'm glad to see these exchanges of information. After all, that's why we
            have this forum!

            > > I exported, and it says it exported the marriages, however when I
            > > import into MyRoots, the marriages are not recreated.
            > > Dominic
            >
            > I don't know if your problem has been solved, but I "thought" I had a
            > similar problem. (I use FTM and exported my files from there.)
            >
            > What I see is that if you have no marriage date for the couple, the
            > marriage does not appear in the event screen with the spouse's name.

            I would be willing to bet that this is actually an issue in your GED file.
            According to the GEDCOM specification, information such as the following:

            0 @F188@ FAM
            1 HUSB @I2903@
            1 WIFE @I2904@
            1 MARR
            1 CHIL @I2905@

            indicates a couple that got married and had 1 child. However, the following:

            0 @F188@ FAM
            1 HUSB @I2903@
            1 WIFE @I2904@
            1 CHIL @I2905@

            indicates a couple that had a child out of wedlock. For the first case, My
            Roots will show a marriage event for the couple, but will not show it for
            the second case, because there is no marriage tag. It would be incorrect to
            assume that a marriage took place, because if you did, how would you ever
            represent that a couple that did NOT get married?

            > If you tap the "Family" button, however, the wife's name appears next
            > to the husband's at the top of the page.

            Yes, but again, the fact that the wife appears in the list does not
            necessarily mean that the couple was married. The criteria for appearing as
            a spouse in the list is to have at least one family event (e.g., marriage,
            divorce, etc.), *OR* to have at least one biological or adopted child
            together.

            > If there are multiple
            > marriages, there is a drop down arrow to select the other spouse(s).
            > It would be nice if I could see the marriage in the event screen with
            > the spouses name, even if I have no date, but it is not a show-
            > stopper.

            If the marriage events exists in the GED file, My Roots will import it and
            display it on the Family screen.

            Tom Ward
            support@...
            http://www.tapperware.com
          • epidendrum01
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 21, 2003
              --- In myroots@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Ward" <support@t...> wrote:
              > The criteria for appearing as a spouse in the list is to have at
              >least one family event (e.g., marriage, divorce, etc.), *OR* to have
              >at least one biological or adopted child together.

              I see your point. In the cases where I do not see the spouse's name
              as a marriage event, I have no marriage or divorce date recorded, nor
              did they have any children. Anyway, they are together in the family
              screen, so if I need the spouse's name during a research trip, it is
              there. I guess I'll just have to get busy and get those marriage
              dates on record!!!