Newbie questions

  • pwossidlo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2002
      I've been using MyRoots for about one week now, and I'm quite happy with it.
      But one thing I miss compared to Family Tree Maker is the auto fill-in
      capability for commonly used names and locations. Will the auto fill-in
      programs available for the Palm do the same thing for me?

      My second question is about the catagories in My Roots. Exactly what purpose
      do they perform? How do they tie in to your PC-based database that you are
      GEDCOMing files with?

      Paul Wossidlo
      Pittsburgh, PA
      http://members.aol.com/wossidloco/origins.htm

    • tapperware
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 10, 2002
        Paul,

        > I've been using MyRoots for about one week now, and I'm quite happy
        > with it. But one thing I miss compared to Family Tree Maker is the
        > auto fill-in capability for commonly used names and locations. Will
        > the auto fill-in programs available for the Palm do the same thing
        > for me?

        I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about "auto fill-in programs
        available for the Palm".

        > My second question is about the catagories in My Roots. Exactly
        > what purpose do they perform? How do they tie in to your PC-based
        > database that you are GEDCOMing files with?

        They don't. Unfortunately, there is no such thing in the GEDCOM
        definition as categories. But since they do exist on the Palm OS, you
        can use them if you want to categorize the people in your database.

        If you assign a category to a person in My Roots, the category name
        will appear in the person's note when exported to a GED file. If this
        category name appears in a person's note when importing, My Roots
        will use that category for the person. This is a way to retain the
        category across imports/exports.

        Tom Ward
        Tapperware Support
      • rclayville
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11, 2002
          There is a Hack for X-Master called LookDA 3.5 that you can get off
          Palm Gear or freewarepalm.com that will help you.

          http://www.palmgear.com/software/showsoftware.cfm?
          sid=34280520010712131646&prodID=3470

          http://freewarepalm.com/utilities/lookda.shtml