REFN tags

  • dude_hellish@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2001
      After much research on the web, I chose MyRoots becuase it seems to
      be the most capable program for my needs. Not perfect, but being new
      to handhelds, I'm not sure I could expect much more.

      A question:

      What exactly does "updating" mean when syncing between MyRoots and
      the PC?

      When a changed person is exported from MyRoots to the PC GED, is the
      entire record exported?

      For example, and I know I'm going to do this, I import one person and
      one fact to MyRoots: John Smith, b. 1800.

      In MyRoots, I find and enter in a date of death and his religion. On
      the PC, I enter his occupation w/o including his DoD or religion.

      So, we have:

      MyRoots: Person 1. John Smith, born 1800, died 1875, Baptist. no
      occupation.

      PC: Person 1. John Smith, born 1800. Farmer.

      When I update the PC from MyRoots, do I have "Person 1. John Smith,
      born 1800, died 1875, Baptist. Farmer" or do I have "Person 1. John
      Smith, born 1800, died 1875, Baptist. no occupation."? If for some
      reason I deleted his birthday from MyRoots, would I lose it on the PC
      when I exported?

      (I know there's gotta be a better way to ask the question, but I'm
      low on coffee.)
    • Tom Ward
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2001
        > What exactly does "updating" mean when syncing between MyRoots and
        > the PC?

        Updating on the PC is actually a 2 step process:

        Step 1: Export the My Roots data to a GED file
        Step 2: Update the data in your desktop genealogy application

        The first step is simple: You use the conversion utility to export
        your data to a GED file. (The data in that GED file will be all of
        the data in My Roots. Naturally, if you added data on the PC but not
        in My Roots, My Roots knows nothing about that data, and therefore,
        it cannot be included in the GED file created by exporting.)

        The second step is more complicated, because it is totally dependent
        on what your desktop genealogy application can do with a GED file
        (i.e., what sort of merging of data it can do). You basically have
        two options:

        1. If your desktop genealogy application is smart enough, you might
        be able to do a merge. However, there are two risks: loss of data
        and duplication of data. I would suggest you thoroughly read your
        desktop genealogy application's documentation and do some
        experimenting on test data before you start to rely on this method.

        2. Manually make the changes in your desktop genealogy application.
        It is in order to make this process somewhat easier that exporting
        creates a .txt file with "<C>" markers that show changed data. The
        idea is you open the .txt file and your desktop genealogy
        application, and toggle back and forth between the two making the
        changes as needed.

        All this is described in somewhat more detail in the users manual
        (manual.html).

        Tom Ward
        Tapperware Support
      • dude_hellish@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2001
          OK, now I see.

          I was hoping that when I exported from My Roots, the conversion
          utility would make the actual changes in the gedcom that I originally
          imported (or to the PC-updated gedcom that I had replaced it with).

          Shucks.

          But oh well, it'll still be better than trying to keep track of
          stacks of papers & files & notebooks of questionable readability when
          I travel, especially when I invariably forget important stuff on my
          computer desk at home.

          Thanks.