Radiotherapy report back

  • PatD
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2010
      Hi all

      Have now had two sessions of whole body low grade radiation. Lead eye shields have to be inserted (like contact lenses), which is probably the most unpleasant aspect. The radiographer is the same one who treated me four years ago and we've established a good relationship which helps.

      After two sessions (four positions lying flat, with 8 1/2 min each). You don't feel the radiation as there is no heat in it, but trying to remain motionless for that length of time while lying on my side with one arm arching over is quite tricky!

      After session one, my eyes were really swollen and painful for a few days and my skin felt sunburnt, but not too unpleasant.

      The second session eye-shield inserting and removal was better and less swelling was experienced. I can see improvement in some of the plaques so am feeling optimistic. However, from the previous treatment, I know that after three weeks, there are places which the radiation causes to become almost raw and painful, so am not looking forward to the next few weeks!

      There is no heat in radiation, so you don't burn. What happens is that the cells in the skin are killed and the new layers of skin don't have time to mature - hence the rawness.

      But - if this kills off most of the MF, it will certainly be worth it.

      I've read of people having a recurrence of their MF within months of TSEBT, so am optimistic of a longer period of being clear...