MyBlogLog Allows People to Claim Sites They Don't Actually Own

  • John Pozadzides
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2007
      Hmm. Now this is an interesting problem, and one MBL needs to solve -
      quickly.

      It's actually possible to claim anyone's blog, apparently, as was noted
      by one of Google's top engineers who's blog was claimed by someone else:
      http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/another-mybloglog-exploit/

      All they need to do to solve this problem is generate a unique ID
      during signup and have web authors put an HTML document in the root of
      the URL with that ID in the name to verify it's theirs. That would
      solve the whole problem...

      I read all of these different issues that pop up on various blogs but
      for some reason we still can't get the message out that this group
      exists so that people can actually diseminate this information among
      the community quickly, and be able to communicate issues back to MBL
      with more momentum.

      For example:
      - http://pascal.vanhecke.info/2007/02/23/why-you-were-logged-out-of-
      mybloglog-last-night/
      - http://blog.auinteractive.com/big-problems-facing-mybloglog

      The problem is that with everyone simply blogging about these issues on
      personal blogs all over the place there isn't a critical mass of users
      being made aware.

      Which is the exact problem we're attempting to solve with this User
      Group...

      John