Re: [muslim-jewish] My response to Nonie Darwish

  • Maxine Kaufman-Lacusta
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2004
      Thanks for posting these comments, David. I had a similar reaction to the article, but didn't feel I knew enough about Muslim practice to challenge it. Thanks for the reminder,
      Maxine

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2004
          Shalom/Salaam everyone,

          Thank You Rabbi for posting your responce. I, of course, agree and
          appreaciate everything you said and I have to also, in genereal, reiterate
          the importance of checking what one posts on this list serve because it may
          offend others. The only point that Nonie Darwish gets across is that her
          experience as a muslim( being told that not to question etc) is not
          representative of the millions of Muslims who know and practice Islam!
          The month of Ramadan is coming up, and this month is for fasting,
          self-reflection and inner-change, among other things. I'm tired of these
          types of articles......
          Wasalaam
          Rabia

          >From: Mivasair@...
          >To: muslim-jewish@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [muslim-jewish] My response to Nonie Darwish
          >Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 15:43:47 EDT
          >
          >Friends,
          >
          >Shalom / salaam. I simply want to add my voice to Haseena's in remarking
          >that the writing by Nonie Darwish struck me as extremely biased and
          >unrealistic. It idealized one group and denigrated another in a way that
          >makes me so
          >uncomfortable that I feel the need to write and dissociate myself from the
          >views it expressed.
          >
          >I know for certain that Muslims engage deeply in self-reflection as a
          >spiritual and religious human necessity. Isn't that what the month of
          >Ramadan is
          >about? I also know that, while many Jews do make good use of our Rosh
          >Hashana
          >and Yom Kippur time for this purpose, many Jews and the Jewish world as a
          >whole is far from being a model for humanity of clear self-awareness and
          >living
          >in congruence with our deepest values.
          >
          >Even though the article made me quite uncomfortable, I am grateful to the
          >sister who posted it and hope we will all keeping hanging together and
          >discussing these things so that we can learn from each other.
          >
          >B'Shalom,
          >
          >David

          to offer.
          Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN´┐Ż Premium right now and get the
          first two months FREE*.