FW: SFU Forum on Muslim Feminisms

  • mivasair
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2012

      Friends, this looks valuable.  -- David

      From: ijv-vancouver@... [mailto:ijv-vancouver@...] On Behalf Of Sid Shniad
      Sent: August-08-12
      Subject: SFU Forum on Muslim Feminisms

      From: Interfaith Institute

      Date: 8/8/2012 7:30:02 AM

      Subject: Forum on Muslim Feminisms

      The Feminist Wire is hosting a forum on Muslim Feminisms, edited in part by Dana Olwan, who is the Ruth Woodward Junior Chair in the Department of Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies at Simon Fraser University, and by Sophia Azeb, an Egyptian-Palestinian anarcha-feminist teacher, writer, and organizer pursuing her PhD in American Studies & Ethnicity at the University of Southern California..

      Here is a link to Dana and Sophia's Introductory article: http://thefeministwire.com/2012/08/muslim-feminisms-forum-an-introduction/

      And another link, to a powerful poem by our friend and sister Amal Rana: http://thefeministwire.com/2012/08/pot-roast-and-imperial-justifications

      As the Introduction says, "In this continuing era of social, spiritual, and literal warfare based on anti-Muslim rhetoric, political and cultural debate about Muslim women (both within and outside of Muslim communities), and rampant, violent Islamophobic racism, we hope that each submission to The Feminist Wire forum on Muslim feminisms will expand this often contentious conversation to a broader audience. We hope that these articles can contribute to the much longer history of Muslim feminist thought and practice. We hope that the essence of Ramadan will inspire a generosity of spirit and an opening of hearts and minds for all of us. Most of all, we hope that these articles from intersectional Muslim women and allies will help us continue to explore our debates, disagreements, and discussions with love, care, and solidarity."

      Ramadan Mubarak. In solidarity.

      The Interfaith Institute Collective.
      --

      Christine Boyle, Coordinator
      INTERFAITH INSTITUTE for Justice, Peace, and Social Movements

      Web: interfaithjustpeace.org
      Email: interf@...
      Twitter: @christineeboyle
      Office: Institute for the Humanities, SFU Harbour Center