Please join me in a rally on Shabbat / Saturday, 2 pm: Greece, let the ships sail!

  • David Mivasair
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2011

      Friends, this is vitally important.  The Greek government is holding up the Canadian and U.S. aid ships to Gaza.  More details are below.  We need to join people around the world in asking Greece to let the ships sail.  I will go tomorrow from prayers in the synagogue to this rally.  (Prayer without action is self-deluding.)  I hope you will join me and many others in Vancouver.  The Israeli siege of Gaza, collectively punishing well over a million completely innocent people, is absolutely vicious, cruel and unjustifiable.  We – especially we Jews – must do what we can to end it.

      David

      RALLY - SATURDAY, 2:00PM GEORGIA AND HAMILTON - CBC BUILDING

      Our Rally tomorrow is the response to this call.
      You can also write and call. Sample letters and contact info below.

      If you need some slogans for tomorrow here are some suggestions:
      (add a few more)
      Let the flotilla go!
      Don’t help the blockade of Gaza!
      We reject Greek-Israeli blockade of flotilla!
      Don’t succumb to Israeli pressure!
      Let Freedom Flotilla set sail to Gaza!
      Help stop Israeli blockade of Gaza...instead!
      “Tahrir” stands for “Liberation” not blockade!

      Nino

      CALL TO ACTION

      Israel’s Blockade has reached the shores of Europe

      We Will Not Let Israel Control Gaza or International Water

      The Canadian Boat to Gaza, 'The Tahrir', is being prevented by Greek authorities from leaving its port in Greece.  The US Boat to Gaza, 'The Audacity of Hope', set sail for Gaza today from a port in Greece but was quickly stopped and boarded by the Greek Navy authorities

      It is imperative that we mobilize in order to ensure that The Tahrir, and then the rest of the Flotilla, is allowed to sail. The Flotilla and the people of Gaza need us to get the boats free. The boats have past their inspections. There is no legal reason for Greece to stop the boats.

      We are calling on supporters to hold public demonstrations and to contact Greek, Israeli and Canadian government representatives. We urge that Greece not become complicit in the illegal actions of Israel.

      Here are some of the things that you can do to help:

      1 The content of our messages

      -        The Greek government needs to know that world public opinion does not want them to succumb to Israel’s coercion.  We don’t want to make Greece ‘dig in its heels’. Tell the Greek government that they can play a profound role in protecting human rights and international law.  Tell them they must let the Tahrir go on our mission to break the illegal blockade of Gaza.  Below is contact information for Greek Officials in Canada and a template letter to send to Greek Officials in Canada and Greece

      -        The Israeli government needs to know that we know what they are doing and we won’t be silent. They have used economic threats – through their lackey governments, like Canada -- against Greece. They have motivated sabotage that could well have caused the deaths of nonviolent human rights defenders in international waters. And they have threatened violent military interception of the flotilla in international waters.

      - The Canadian Government needs to know that they are complicit in the coercion. And that they have a responsibility by international convention, to protect the Canadians on the Flotilla. Included in the letter is a note of disgust that Canadian government is falling to pressure by the Israeli government. Below, there is a template letter to Canadian MPs and a link for their contact information.

      2  ACTIONS
      - Public rallies, vigils, etc:   We hope for Saturday actions.
      But please, do whatever and wherever you are able. We need this to be big. We need to be visible.

      - Letter to our Canadian MPs: We have a letter template for you to use to send to MPs reminding them that the Canadian government has obligations under the Geneva Convention.

      - Contacting Greek officials: Greek government officials are to be asked to clarify whether a political decision has been made by the Greek government in response to Israeli and other governments’ pressure. We will ask that they not be complicit in the massive human rights violations by Israel against the people of Gaza. We will ask them to defend human rights and not fall to the pressure of Israel and other governments – who are playing with the lives and livelihoods of Greeks and Palestinians.

      We have a template letter to use and contact information for Greek officials in Canada and in Greece. Contact details below for Greek Consulates and Embassy in Canada

      Further information
      All quotes are referenced to Amira Hass http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/gaza-bound-a-mystery-worthy-of-henning-mankell-1.369938 <http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/gaza-bound-a-mystery-worthy-of-henning-mankell-1.369938>

       <http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/gaza-bound-a-mystery-worthy-of-henning-mankell-1.369938>
      The Canadian Boat to Gaza, The Tahrir - meaning liberation, is one of the lead boats of the Flotilla. The Greek Government has stopped the Tahrir from sailing. It is imperative we get the boat free so it can sail to help to free Gaza.

      We understand the immense pressure that the Greek Government is getting.

      “The fact that officials in Israel were able to report the prevention of the departure of six ships anchored in Greece, even before the organizers of the flotilla knew about it, shows Israel's involvement.”  Prof Vangelis Pissias, a member of the flotilla's steering committee said the Greek government is under pressure not only from the Israeli government but by other governments as well.” Given the “FLOTILLA WARNING 2011” that was on the government of Canada’s website’s page for Canada’s Embassy to Greece, and its unwavering - support at any cost – mentality to Israel, we can assume Canadian government complicity in this. We must call on the Canadian Government to remind Greece of maritime conventions.
      Prof Pissias affirms that the popular pressure that is being applied is making it hard for Greece to give in to Israel. WE MUST BUILD THE PRESSURE.

      Despite this week's General Strike by the people of Greece against the austerity measures “the port workers' union announced that in solidarity with the flotilla to Gaza, the stevedores who would be loading the flotilla vessels had been exempted from the strike … and in Athens, where daily protests are being held against Greek government policies, the protesters have voted to support the flotilla”.

      It is illegal for the Greek Government to prohibit the sailing of the ships. They have passed inspection and Greece has no right to hold foreign ships from sailing.
      TEMPLATE LETTERS AND CONTACT INFORMATION

      Letter to Canadian MPs
      [ADDRESS]
      Date…….
      Dear [NAME of MP in your riding]:

      I am writing to you as a concerned Canadian about the alarming news that vessels bound for the Gaza Strip are being prevented from leaving Greek ports, despite their compliance with all legal expectations. One of those vessels is the Canadian ship, the Tahrir, with Canadian passengers on board. The Tahrir is part of the Fredom Flotilla 2 – Stay Human.

      The Freedom Flotilla is an international initiative with the goal of challenging the illegal blockade of Gaza, and bringing humanitarian aid to the civilian population of Gaza in the spirit of the U.N. Security Council Resolution 1860 (2009).  The Canadian boat is carrying much needed medical supplies.   All delegates on the Freedom Flotilla, including the Canadian Boat, the Tahrir, are committed to peaceful and non-violent action.   The Flotilla and the Tahrir are not breaking the law but are actively upholding international law.
      I am concerned at the lack of port security in Greece that allowed the sabotage of two vessels –  one Irish and the other Swedish-Greek-Norwegian – with potentially serious consequences for the passengers of those vessels. But I am outraged that the Tahrir is being prevented from leaving the Greek port while all legal documents are in order for it to sail.

      I am concerned that the Canadian government is giving in to pressures from the Israeli government in preventing the Flotilla from sailing to Gaza by referring to this action as “provocative”. By doing so, the Canadian government is implying that the Israeli government is acting within its right when imposing an inhumane siege on 1.5 million Palestinians in Gaza and seeking to control international waters.

      As the MP of my riding I urge you to speak out in Parliament for the legitimate right of those Canadians on the Flotilla to express their solidarity with fellow Palestinians in Gaza, as well as
      ·     to demand the Government to uphold its responsibility for the safety of all Canadians including those on the flotilla;
      ·     to demand the Greek government immediately release the Tahrir and implement all necessary measures for the safety of the Canadian ship and its passengers while in Greek waters;
      ·     to demand the Israeli government to abide to international law by removing the illegal blockade of Gaza and allow safe docking of a Canadian ship to a port in Gaza

      I look forward to hearing from you what actions you have taken on the above.

      Sincerely,

      [name]
      [contact information]

      LINK to MP contact information : http://www.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx <http://www.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx>
      LETTER TO GREEK OFFICIALS IN CANADA AND IN GREECE
      Sample letter addressed to Greek authorities (consular and government)

      [ADDRESS]

      Date…….

      Dear Sir/Madam:

      I am writing to you as a concerned Canadian citizen who has just learned that the Canadian Boat to Gaza, The Tahrir, is being prevented from leaving its port in Greece.  This boat carries passengers from Canada, Australia, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Russia and Israel, and is part of the Fredom Flotilla 2 – Stay Human.

      The Freedom Flotilla is an international initiative with the goal of ending the illegal blockade of Gaza and to bring humanitarian aid to the civilian population of Gaza in the spirit of the U.N. Security Council Resolution 1860 (2009). The Tahrir is carrying much needed medical supplies to the people of Gaza.

      All participants in the Freedom Flotilla are committed to peaceful and non-violent action. Its intention is to break the illegal blockade of Gaza by Israel.  Its intention is not to break the law but to uphold international law.

      While your country has been very welcoming by allowing the Flotilla to use various Greek ports, I am appalled that the ships have not been permitted to set sail in spite of the fact that they meet all the legal requirements to sail.  I am also appalled at the lack of port security that allowed the sabotage of two vessels –  one Irish and the other Swedish-Greek-Norwegian – with potentially serious consequences for the passengers of those vessels.

      The various administrative steps taken by your government, including unnecessarily meticulous inspections, and the most recent detention of the Tahrir are preventing the departure of the Flotilla.

      It is my understanding that the Tahrir has no legal or other impediment to leave port.

      I would regard any actions by your government trying to block any vessels in the flotilla from leaving a Greek port and/or reaching the Gaza Strip as an overt collaboration with the illegal blockade imposed by Israel.

      The Greek government can play a profound role in protecting human rights and international law. I expect the Greek government to NOT give in to pressures from the Israeli government or any other government, to allow the flotilla to sail and to take all necessary measures to assure the safety of all ships and passengers until they are in international waters.

      I urge the Greek government to immediately allow the Tahrir and all other ships in the Freedom Flotilla to set sail.

      Sincerely,

      [your contact information]

      Contact information for Greek Embassy and Consulates
       Greek Embassy, OTTAWA     www.greekembassy.ca <http://www.greekembassy.ca/>
      76- 80 Maclaren Street Ottawa  Ontario Canada K2P OK6
      Phone:  +1-613-2386271
      <tel:%2B1-613-2386271>   +1-613-2386273 <tel:%2B1-613-2386273>
       Fax: +1-613-2385676 <tel:%2B1-613-2385676>
       Email: embassy@.greekembassy.ca <http://greekembassy.ca/>

      Greece Consulate , MONTREAL

       1170 Place Du Frere Andre, Suite 300  Montreal Quebec  H3B 3C6
      Phone: +1-514-8759902
      <tel:%2B1-514-8759902>    +1-514-8752119 <tel:%2B1-514-8752119>
       Fax: +1-514-8758781 <tel:%2B1-514-8758781>
       Email:  montreal.consulate@... <http://montreal%2Econsulate@.../>
      Greek Consulate , TORONTO

       365 Bloor Street East, Suite 1800
       Toronto Canada  M4W 3L4
      Phone: +1-416-5150133
      <tel:%2B1-416-5150133>  +1-416-5150134 <tel:%2B1-416-5150134>
       Fax: +1-416-5150209 <tel:%2B1-416-5150209>
       Email: toronto.consulate@... <http://toronto%2Econsulate@.../>
      Greece Consulate , VANCOUVER
       500-688 West Hastings Street  Vancouver Canada  V6B 1P1
       Phone:+1-604-6811381
      <tel:%2B1-604-6811381>   +1-604-6841366 <tel:%2B1-604-6841366>
       Fax: +1-604-6816656 <tel:%2B1-604-6816656>
       Email: vancouver.consulate@... <http://vancouver%2Econsulate@.../>

      CONTACT INFO FOR GREEK OFFICIALS IN GREECE
      Address for the media to contact the president:   internationalmediaoffice@... <http://internationalmediaoffice@.../>
      On facebook: George A. Papandreou
      On Twitter: @PrimeministerGR