A warm, personal invitation to a sweet Jewish festival at our house, Sunday evening, Oct 4

  • David Mivasair
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2009

      rimonim.gifPlease come and join us on Sunday evening, Oct 4, any time at all between 5:30 to 9 pm, at my house for the very lovely, sweet and calm Jewish festival of Sukkot.  Please don’t be shy.  This is my personal invitation to you; we want you to come.

      In this beautiful autumn season, fruits ripen.  The harvest is gathered in.  We Jews celebrate a most beautiful week-long holiday.  We open more than ever to an awareness of many blessings that constantly surround us.  We celebrate the divine presence in the natural world as well as the spiritual harvest of our religious devotion during our holy days just past – Rosh ha-Shanah, Yom Kippur and the ten days between.

      Yesterday, we built a sweet little sukkah – a kind of a harvest hut with cloth walls and fresh evergreen branches for a roof Sukkot תש''ע 020.JPGin our backyard.  We Jews are commanded in the Torah to build a sukkah and dwell in it for seven days beginning with the full moon of this current month.  Ours is in our backyard.  We hang fruits and vegetables from the branches of the roof and decorate it with simple home-made art.  When we have guests, we put carpets on the ground and take out pillows and low tables.  At night we light candles.  It’s very sweet!

      All week long, when we're in the sukkah, we look up to the sky between the branches and smell everything around us.  At night we see the stars and moon.  When it rains, fresh water from the heavens drips right through.

               We love to share it with you – our friends from many different religious communities and spiritual paths.  Please come on Sunday Sukkot תש''ע 073.JPGevening.  We'll sit, share a vegetarian dinner and some teachings for our lives.  We can make a time for the evening prayers.  Please come and bring your friends as well.

      If you have a chance, please tell me that you're coming and how many you'll be.  If you don't write, please come anyway.  We’re at 2644 Manitoba St in Vancouver, just off of Broadway between Main and Cambie.  We’re in the back outdoors.  If you need directions or have any questions, please phone me at (604) 781-7839.

      The sukkah is a Jewish practice with universal meaning in both the physical and spiritual realms.  Its foundation is the renewal of rains and the turn of seasons.  It has great meaning in knowing God's constant presence and the message of peace among us all.  We all are sustained by the earth, the rains, the winds and sun -- all are sustained by God on our life journeys in every moment of every day.  One can dwell in a sukkah -- a light and fragile structure -- only if one is living in peace with one's neighbours.  May it be God’s will for us all . . .

      David