Tu be-Shvat seder Sunday evening -- save the date -- details to follow

  • David Mivasair
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2009

      Earth.JPG

      Chevrah, our little blue-green-and-brown spaceship Earth, our companion Moon and our brilliant life-giving Sun will all line up on Sunday night to reflect the light of the Sun down to us here all night long.

      That full moon is the moon of Tu be-Shvat, the new year of the trees.

      Our ancestors, who lived closely in tune with the flux and flow of life energy in the cosmos and in the plants and animals, each year sensed a change in direction on that night.

      Deep in the earth, holy life energy awakens and begins to flow once again up through the tiny root hairs into the trunk, out the branches and, ultimately, into new blossoming, new fruit and new life.

      We celebrate Tu be-Shvat with a seder – an order – of fruits of the tree, taking into ourselves the energies stored in the fruits with the intention of aligning ourselves with that energy and then using ourselves as channels to bring that energy more fully into this world.

      Ahavat Olam’s Tu be-Shvat seder will be on Sunday evening, Feb 8.  With song, story, prayer and action, we open ourselves to that renewed flow.

      I’m trying to reserve a place at the highest point of land in Vancouver, the top of Queen Elizabeth Park, and am thinking now about beginning the seder fairly early in the evening, like from 6 until about 8.  We can do it earlier than usual this year because most of us don’t work on Sunday and can pretty easily get there by 6.  That would enable younger kids and their parents to join us more easily.

      I’ll send more info tomorrow (Tuesday).  For now, if you haven’t already, set an intention for Sunday night to be with us at the seder.  Everyone – and I do mean everyone – is most welcomed.

      Be-shalom,

      David