reminder - May 1: MayDay 2007 Solidarity with All Immigrant, Migrant and Undocumented Workers

  • sumayya k
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2007
      Harsha <harsha@...> wrote:
      MAY DAY 2007
      MARCH FOR WORKERS' RIGHTS: SOLIDARITY WITH ALL IMMIGRANT, MIGRANT &
      UNDOCUMENTED WORKERS!

      Immigrant rights are worker's rights: Justice for All!

      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      TUESDAY, MAY 1
      Gather at 6pm at Clark Park @ Commercial Drive and 14th Avenue
      (close to Broadway Skytrain)
      March to Grandview Park for gathering @ 7:30 pm
      ++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      ==> Family-friendly march
      ==> There will be food, water and snacks during the demo.
      ==> Rest vehicles will accompany the march.

      With imperialist globalization, workers in Canada are facing undeniable
      attacks. Hard-won wages, benefits and social services are now being
      cruelly eroded as Canada joins other imperialist countries in forcing
      increased labour flexibility in the name of ‘free trade’ and the
      neo-liberal agenda. Even workers’ solidarity is being criminalized and the
      right for workers to unionize or to fight for their legitimate rights is
      under attack.

      Even more vulnerable and attacked are Canada’s immigrant, migrant, and
      undocumented workers whose numbers in Canada are increasing and whose
      exploitation is intensifying. Canada has always used migrant and immigrant
      labour to fill its relentless demand for cheap labour, but now, under the
      deepening crisis of imperialism and its never-ending pursuit for private
      profit, there is a renewed push in the country to bring in a greater
      number of cheaper, mobile, and flexible migrant labour. This push towards
      cheaper more mobile migrant labour is clearly evident in the Canadian
      state’s thrust to expand the country’s Temporary Foreign Workers Program.

      This May Day, we will also be joining migrants, refugees and their allies
      across Canada who will again demonstrate against the deportation and
      detention of migrants and refugees, for a full, inclusive, unconditional
      and ongoing regularization program, and for full rights and dignity for
      immigrant communities against racism, poverty, and criminalization. Our
      march on May Day coincides with marches in the US as we collectively
      assert that immigrant rights are workers rights.

      Hundreds of thousands of people live without status, without sufficient
      access to health care or education, and in great fear of being detained or
      deported, all the while being the most exploited in the workplace. For
      decades immigrants have been scapegoated, and now since 9/11, the false
      link between immigrants and terrorism has developed. Thousands of
      migrants, especially immigrant women, are forced to live in poverty; while
      thousands of temporary workers perform hard and dangerous labour, yet are
      denied their basic rights.

      Join us this May Day, as we join with workers around the world in
      celebrating the militant tradition of May 1 as a day to oppose the
      exploitation and oppression of workers. We are coming together as workers
      in our various communities to expose the harsh impact of neo-liberalism
      upon Canadian workers. We also are continuing the courageous struggle of
      immigrants and migrants in North America for their full rights anddignity.

      * Expose and oppose the heightened attacks on workers, migrant, immigrant
      and undocumented workers in Canada!
      * Solidarity with migrant, immigrant and undocumented workers in Canada! *
      Workers Unite for Economic Human Rights: Reclaim the Militant Tradition of
      May One!
      * Build Genuine International Solidarity Against Imperialist Globalization!

      For more information, contact us at:
      saic@... or call 778-885-0040
      ilps_canada@... or call 604-215-1905

      Organized by:
      - STATUS COALITION, a coalition of community-based organizations in the
      Vancouver area belonging to movements and struggles of the people of the
      Global South (Asia, Africa, Central and South America, Middle East, the
      Caribbean region) and the struggles of such migrant communities in Canada.

      - MAY DAY 2007 ORGANIZING COMMITTEE, was initiated by International League
      of Peoples' Struggles (ILPS) participating organizations in Vancouver in
      2006. It is made up of democratic and progressive individuals and
      organizations coming together to organize educational and political
      activities in the spirit of international workers' and people solidarity
      for May Day 2007.