While Eid and Yom Kippur are Still With Us

  • Humanity Check
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
      Dear friends,

      Thank you for your dedication to compassion, justice and tolerance.

      The World's burden of rage, fear and greed threaten to encroach on the Spirit of soul-searching, mercy and forgiveness which our beloved Muslim and Jewish communities have each embraced through long days of prayerful fasting and reflection.  We must choose each day -- each moment -- between materialist conflict and spiritually guided healing and reconciliation.

      The attached accounts of Muslim/Jewish friendship and healing, during the 2006 sacred season of Ramadan and Jewish Holy Days offer new hope and new light.

      May we each be granted new and deeper understanding, and be sustained in our dedication to increase, strengthen and sustain loving and healing good will toward all Humanity, as we venture forward into the coming year.  Insha'Allah.  (God willing.)

      Assalaamu alaikum.  Shalom.  Namaste.  Peace.

      -- David L. Hoffman
      Coordinator
      Humanity Check interfaith peace and reconciliation project
      No. 560, 122 Calistoga Road
      Santa Rosa, CA 95409
      U.S.A.
      e-mail:  humanitycheck@...

       October 26, 2006

      More Muslims, Jews Joined
      for Ramadan and Jewish Holy Days
      in 2006

      The Muslim Ramadan month and Jewish Yom Kippur ended on Monday, October 23, 2006.
            Both faiths' followers re-dedicated themselves to return again and again to a closeness to God and people, in deed and in heart.

            More than ever, they did it together.

      VANCOUVER, CANADA

           In Vancouver, Canada's Ahavat Olam Synagogue -- http://ahavat-olam.ca/ -- Rabbi David Mivasair ( David@... ) knew of shared principles of Jews and Muslims.

           So Yom Kippur morning, the Rabbi's congregation welcomed Imam Sa'ad Bahr of the Masjid Al-Hidayah -- http://islam-canada.com/pn/ -- a mainstream, beautiful Sunni mosque.

           The imam and rabbi side-by-side affirmed shared intentions of Jews and Muslims to be their very best.

           This was not a one-time event.  It is a new tradition of courage and wisdom in Vancouver.

           In each of the four years of its existence, Ahavat Olam has invited a Muslim religious teacher during Rosh ha-Shanah or Yom Kippur, the two
      holiest days of the Jewish year.

           Rabbi Mivasair:  "The Zohar teaches that problems are not solved on the level on which they occur.

          "Ahavat Olam is seeking a different level on which to begin approaching the relationship between our community and our Muslim neighbors,"  published the Jewish Independent.

      CALIFORNIA, USA

          An unprecedented Muslim outreaching saw six San Francisco Bay Area mosques open their doors to Jews and other in the public.

           The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) along with six mosques hosted Ramadan Open Houses & Iftars the weekend of October 7th and 8th to celebrate Ramadan: A Month of Sharing.

           It is described at http://www.myvillage.us/profile/profile.asp?/my/ramadan .

          Mosque members of the Oakland Islamic Center reached out community-wide.

           Mosque Muslims broke the daily Ramadan fast one Friday night at Kehilla Community Synagogue as part of an event that also included the
      Montclair Presbyterian Church.
      See:
      Muslims Mark Holiday with Charity Outreach
      San Francisco Chronicle -- October 7, 2006

      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/07/BAG9ALKTRS1.DTL

      BETHLEHEM, PALESTINE

           Israeli Jews and Arabs of the Interfaith Encounter Association -- http://interfaith-encounter.org/ -- traveled twice to Hope Flowers School -- http://hope-flowers.org/ -- in El-Khader,  Bethlehem.

           Thursday, October 5th, 2006 was the first of two Ramadan interfaith gatherings to study faith traditions and share a Ramadan Iftar dinner to
      break the fast.

           The story and photos are at

      MORE ABRAHAMIC GATHERINGS for global healing

           This Fall, 2006, many more than ever are these interfaith educational and healing re-connections are being initiated.

           Read about Inspiring gatherings in Maryland, New York, Washington, California, Florida, Rhode Island, and the Holy Land, at:
      Abrahamic Events for Global Healing
      http://shalomctr.org/node/1206

      We are beginning to understand the meaning of One -- Echod, Wahad -- and to live as though it is true.

      We are totally and inextricably interconnected and inter-related -- neighbors forever.

      Information Received From:

      The Jewish-Palestinian Living Room Dialogue Group
      of San Mateo, California

      "Celebrating 14 years of sustained listening, creating, and helping people engage"

      Humanity Check
      Interfaith Peace and Reconciliation Project

      The Humanity Check  mailing list is a private, unaffiliated volunteer project.  Mailings are selected which (God willing) address the need for Unity on the Planet, religious tolerance, justice and peace.

      People from every faith tradition (or none) are welcome.  Written contributions from every tradition (or none) are invited.

      In particular, in view of the present historical situation,  Humanity Check  seeks (God willing) to reach across obsolete cultural barriers, to honor the spiritual and moral contributions of Islam to Humanity, and the deep desire of Muslims for a just and peaceful World.

      If you receive Humanity Check  mailings unsolicited, someone has identified you as likely to be interested in these materials.

      TO SUBSCRIBE:
      If you wish to receive Humanity Check  mailings on an ongoing
      basis, please send an eMail, to humanitycheck@... and include the word "Subscribe" in the Subject Line.

      Humanity Check
      Interfaith peace and reconciliation project
      No. 560, 122 Calistoga Road
      Santa Rosa, CA 95409

      e-mail:
       humanitycheck@...

    • David Granirer
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2006
        Re: [muslim-jewish] While Eid and Yom Kippur are Still With Us This is so great to hear, really gives me hope!
        --
        David Granirer, Psychocomic.com Presentations Inc.
        Humor in the Workplace and Stand-Up Comedy

        From: Humanity Check <humanitycheck@...>
        Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 09:05:44 -0800
        To: <muslim-jewish@yahoogroups.com>, Tucson Peace Walk <Tucson_Peace_Walk@yahoogroups.com>, <NPMuslims@yahoogroups.com>, <PMUNetwork@yahoogroups.com>
        Cc: Shalom Center <shalomctr@...>, <iea-reports@yahoogroups.com>, Libby & Len Traubman <LTraubman@...>, <yehuda@...>
        Subject: [muslim-jewish] While Eid and Yom Kippur are Still With Us

        humanitycheck@... <mailto:humanitycheck@...>

        web site:  http://home.earthlink.net/~humanitycheck

        See:   Muslims Mark Holiday with Charity  Outreach  San Francisco Chronicle -- October 7, 2006      http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/07/BAG9ALKTRS1.DTL <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/10/07/BAG9ALKTRS1.DTL>

             http://interfaith-encounter.org/Reports/IPD-100506.htm .

        (http://traubman.igc.org/dg-prog.htm <http://traubman.igc.org/dg-prog.htm> )