Grand Opening for Imam Fode's new Zawiyah Foundation, Sunday, Sept 3

  • David Mivasair
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2006

      Dear friends,

      Shalom, salaam.  I am sharing with you a lovely invitation to the grand opening of a emerging Muslim religious community in Vancouver which is devoted to peace and tolerance in a multicultural and pluralistic society.  It is called the Zawiyah Foundation* and is inspired by the leadership and teaching of Imam Fode Drame, our partner in learning and prayer and an early supporter of our Muslim-Jewish connections.

      The Zawiyah Foundation’s mosque is at 1330 East 66th Avenue in Vancouver , south of SE Marine Drive just west of Knight Street off of Compton Street .  More info at www.zawiyah.ca.

      I have been looking forward for months to this event and expect, ה ירצה אם, إن شاء الله, God willing, to be there.  I have attached a file of a poster with details.

      David

      From the Zawiya Foundation invitation:

      The Zawiyah Foundation cordially invites you and your family for its Grand Opening on Sunday, September 3rd 2006.  We intend to share our first official public event with other faith groups within Vancouver , and hope to create an atmosphere of mutual respect and understanding.

      The event will commence at 2:00 pm with various activities including, speeches from several internationally renowned scholars. The speakers will emphasize the meaning of faith and its message of peace and tolerance in a multicultural and pluralistic society. There will also be time for mingling with the various attendees including the speakers as well as snacks and refreshments. We hope to conclude the event at 8:30 pm.

      *  By the way, zawiyah in Arabic is the equivalent of zavit in Hebrew and refers to a corner, or a space, in which one enters into prayer and a deeper focus on one’s self in relationship to the One Self.  There’s an amazing story in the Talmud of Rabbi Akiva praying and prostrating in a zavit or, in Arabic, zawiyah.  -- D