The Tent of Abraham, Hagar, & Sarah

  • Alana Lea
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2005
      This is a beautiful vision that you can learn more about here:
      www.tentofabraham.org/
      Perhaps Vancouver will want to participate also? Love, Alana

      The Tent of Abraham, Hagar, & Sarah is a gathering of Jews, Christians,
      and Muslims who have been building a 'Tent' of shared spiritual concern
      for peace, justice, and healing of the earth. Arising from this effort
      has been a call to take part in 'God's October Surprise'. [see below.]

      This call has been endorsed by the National Council of Churches; the
      Islamic Society of North America; Pax Christi; The Shalom Center; the
      Jewish Committee for Isaiah's Vision (see note 3 below); ALEPH:
      Alliance for Jewish Renewal and its rabbinic body, Ohalah; the
      Disciples Justice Action Network; the Northwest Interfaith Movement
      (Philadelphia) and many others.

      October Surprise: A Call to Share Sacred Seasons

      At just the moment of history when religious conflicts have reemerged
      bearing lethal dangers for each other and our planet, God has given our
      spiritual and religious traditions a gift of time:

      During October 2005, a rare confluence of sacred moments in many
      different traditions invites us to eat together, walk together, learn
      together, pray alongside each other, listen to each other, and work
      together for peace, justice, human rights, and the healing of our
      wounded earth.

      The sacred Muslim lunar month of Ramadan and the sacred Jewish lunar
      month of Tishrei (which includes the High Holy Days) both begin October
      3-4; October 4 is the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi; and October 2 is
      World-wide (Protestant/Orthodox) Communion Sunday. (For other sacred
      times that appear in October, see note 1 below.) The confluence of
      these four sacred seasons will recur in 2006 and 2007.

      We could do much during these sacred times to heal our nation and the
      world. As one unifying moment of our prayer and effort --

      We call on all communities of faith and ethics to observe a Nationwide
      Fast for Reflection, Repentance, Reconciliation, and Renewal, from
      sunrise to sunset on October 13. That day is for Muslims one of the
      fast days of Ramadan, and for Jews is the fast day of Yom Kippur.

      Just as Abraham, Hagar, and Sarah welcomed into their tent thirsty
      travelers from all four directions, we welcome to this Fast not only
      those of the three Abrahamic traditions but all who thirst for a world
      made whole. We encourage those who join in this Fast to dedicate their
      prayers and their intention to serve the God Who calls us to seek
      peace, feed the poor, heal the earth, and then later to take visible
      steps in the world to heed God's call.

      Besides taking part in the October 13 Nationwide Fast, there are a
      number of ways to share these sacred moments. (See note 2 below for
      possible examples.)

      Engaged as we are in war, violence, and repression with strong
      religious overtones, we, communities of the faithful, could instead
      take some action together during the Ramadan/ Tishrei month to change
      public policy in favor of protecting human rights, healing the earth,
      and achieving peace in the regions where Abraham, Hagar, and Sarah
      sojourned.

      We urge those of all our traditions to begin NOW, in our own cities and
      neighborhoods as well as nationally and internationally, to plan with
      each other how to use God's October Surprise of these sacred dates to
      heed the call of the Holy One that we live in peace together.

      As we walk our path into this three-year journey of sharing sacred
      seasons, let us make the deep connections that will keep us together
      long after our sacred calendars dance in other directions.

      This Call was initiated by The Tent of Abraham, Hagar, and Sarah. The
      Call has been endorsed by the National Council of Churches, the Islamic
      Society of North America, Pax Christi, The Shalom Center, the Jewish
      Committee for Isaiah's Vision (see note 3 below), ALEPH: Alliance for
      Jewish Renewal and its rabbinic body, Ohalah, the Disciples Justice
      Action Network. Northwest Interfaith Movement (Philadelphia)
      [partial list]

      Join God's October Surprise!

      Notes:

      1. October 2 is Mahatma Gandhi's birthday. October 4 to 12 are for
      Hindus Navarathri (nine nights of spiritual struggle), followed on
      October 13 by Vijayadashami, the tenth day of spiritual victory. And
      for Buddhists, Vassa (rainy season of spiritual reflection) ends on
      October 18 with the full moon day, Pavarana.
      2. Some possible actions are listed below. These should be understood
      as suggestions; communities and congregations should choose their own
      approaches.
      * Clusters of congregations a church, a synagogue, a mosque, a temple
      could arrange for each congregation to host one meal for members of the
      others, after nightfall on any of the evenings of Ramadan.
      * Congregations could arrange public Interfaith Walks for Peace and
      Reconciliation that go between church, synagogue, and mosque, pausing
      at each for prayer.
      * Jews could invite Muslims, Christians, Buddhists, and Hindus into the
      Sukkah, a leafy hut that is open to the earth. Traditionally, "sacred
      guests" are invited in and the Rabbis taught that during Sukkot,
      blessings are invoked upon "the seventy nations" of the world.
      Traditional prayers implore God to "spread the sukkah of shalom" over
      us. These are perfect rubrics for peacemaking among the children of
      humanity and with the earth.
      * Muslims could invite other communities to join in celebrating Iftar
      (the break-fast) after sunset on a night of Ramadan. For some aspects
      of Eid el-Fitr (the feast at the end of Ramadan), Jews and Christians
      could (as in Morocco) bring food to the celebration of the end of
      Ramadan's fasting.
      * Churches could invite other communities to join in learning about and
      celebrating the teachings of Francis of Assisi. He was practically
      unique among the Christian leaders of his day in opposing the Crusades,
      learning in a serious way from Muslim teachers (even to the extent of
      transforming his own prayer practice), and becoming deeply dedicated to
      kinship with the earth and all living creatures.
      * Synagogues could invite Muslim scholars and spiritual leaders to
      teach on Rosh Hashanah when Jews are reading the Torah passages on the
      story of Abraham, Hagar, Ishmael, Sarah, and Isaac, how it is that
      Muslims understand that story. Then there could be open discussion of
      the differences, the similarities, the wisdom held in each of the
      versions of the story. Synagogues could set aside a time to read and
      discuss the Torah's story of the joining of Isaac and Ishmael to bury
      their father Abraham, and then to achieve reconciliation at the Well of
      the Living One Who Sees Me.
      * Congregations could undertake actions to protect human rights by
      making public the plights of those detained without trials, often
      without access to counsel or to families, those disappeared, and those
      being subjected to torture; could create a series of evenings to look
      together at the texts in their traditions that have been misused to
      justify violence against other communities, and shape occasions of
      repentance, forgiveness, and reconciliation; could create seminars and
      public actions on the global climate crisis, religious perspectives on
      it, and Beyond Oil support for sustainable energy sources; etc.
      3. The Jewish Committee for Isaiah's Vision is an ad hoc group of more
      than 100 rabbis and other Jewish leaders, echoing Isaiah's call that is
      read on Yom Kippur morning. [full list of signers]

      The Tent of Abraham, Hagar, & Sarah - 6711 Lincoln Drive |
      Philadelphia, PA  19119 | info@...

      Gods October Surprise; Reading & Joining the Call to Take Part
      Gods October Surprise: Information on the Holy Days and Holy Action
      Gods October Surprise: Events and Actions
      The Tent of Abraham & How to Pitch Your Own Tent
      top