CFP: Columbia Music Scholarship Conference (Jan '05)

  • AMS
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4 9:35 AM
      Call for Papers

      The second annual Columbia Music Scholarship Conference will take place on
      January 29, 2005 at Columbia University. We invite paper proposals
      pertaining especially to the theme of the 2005 conference, Music and
      Conflict; we will also consider proposals on any topic pertaining to
      ethnomusicology, historical musicology, or music theory. Below are some
      possible approaches to the conference theme:

      -Music and violence, power, politics, censorship.
      -Music and identity. The tension between a composer or performer�s gender,
      sexuality, ethnicity, and/or nationality and the composition, performance,
      and/or reception of his/her music.
      -Judgment. Good versus bad music, highbrow versus lowbrow music.
      -Theoretical models. The idea of conflict in specific music theories;
      conflicting (or consenting) theoretical models; tension between theoretical
      models and listening experience.

      We invite proposals for 20-minute presentations from any graduate student
      engaged in musical research. Submissions should include:

      1. A 500 word proposal
      2. A 250 word abstract
      3. Indication of any special audio-visual needs
      4. The author�s contact information.

      Proposals may be submitted either electronically (PDF or Word document) to
      cmsc@... or as paper copy by post to:

      The Columbia Music Scholarship Conference
      Department of Music
      621 Dodge Hall
      Columbia University
      New York, NY 10027

      Submissions must be received by October 31, 2004. Authors will be notified
      in November of our decision. For further information, please e-mail us at
      cmsc@... or visit www.columbia.edu/cu/cmsc.