New to group with question

  • usnavymc1
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 16, 2007
      Hi all! I am new to the group and in need of some help. I am in the
      military, did 9 years active-duty, then for the past 5 years I've
      been in the reserve. When I left AD, I got a little lazy and gained a
      few pounds, ok more than a few... lol. Anyhow, I've lost most of the
      fat I gained before, but I also lost a lot of muscle. I've tried
      combinations of weight gain and intense workouts, even some ripped
      fuel, I do a good amount of cardio as well. Does the cardio hurt me
      from gaining muscle max? Would I be better off just lifting?

      I've been in this routine of getting back in shape for about a year
      now and I'm looking much better than I did, but I feel I'll never get
      back into that really ripped form I used to have. I am 5'6", 165lbs,
      34 years old. Of course my age might have something to do with it
      since my metabolism might not be as good as it used to be, but I try
      to eat healthy and things that digest easily. Should I be eating more
      red meat? I don't at the moment at all, but I do take a multivitamin
      everyday so I do get all my vitamins.

      Any advice would be great! Also, if anyone knows if I should take
      something besides ripped fuel to help me gain mass more please let me
      know. Also, what more can I do (like in the other post) to get rid of
      the little layer of fat over my abs? They're defines pretty good but
      can't be seen through that damn little layer of flub.

      Thanks!

      Rich
    • Michael Plasencia

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 19, 2007
          to get ripped I'd recommend half your body weight of grams of protein
          everyday, so for you that'd be about 80 grams, and tons of water since
          high protein can be hard on digestion and kidneys.

          for abs I'd suggest training for a marathon. google "train for a
          marathon" and follow the instructions, most start at the average 5k
          runner and works their way up over several months. When you get to
          the point where you're running 3 and 4 hours straight you'll quickly
          burn off all the fat and reveal any abs muscles that are there. You
          really don't even have to run that hard, long as your heart's elevated
          the entire time and you're sweating should do it, a 4-5 mph pace
          should be enough.