[MURG] Fast analog computation with unreliable synapses

  • eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
    Message 1 of 1 , May 4, 1999
      From: Thomas Natschlaeger <tnatschl@...-graz.ac.at>

      Announcement of a new paper by Wolfgang Maass and Thomas Natschlaeger:

      "A model for fast analog computation based on unreliable synapses"

      Neural Computation, 1999. in press.

      Abstract: We investigate through theoretical analysis and computer simulations
      the consequences of unreliable synapses for fast analog computations in networks
      of spiking neurons, with analog variables encoded by the current firing
      activities of pools of spiking neurons. Our results suggest that the known
      unreliability of synaptic transmission may be viewed as a useful tool for analog
      computing, rather than as a ``bug'' in neuronal hardware. We also investigate
      computations on time series and Hebbian learning in this context of space-rate
      coding.

      This paper is available as gzipped postscript file (26 pages, 211Kb) from

      http://www.cis.tu-graz.ac.at/igi/maass/#Publications (see #102)
      or
      http://www.cis.tu-graz.ac.at/igi/tnatschl/Publications.html

      Sincerely

      Thomas Natschlaeger

      ** **
      ** Thomas Natschlaeger **
      ** Institute for Theoretical Computer Science **
      ** Technische Universitaet Graz **
      ** Klosterwiesgasse 32/2 **
      ** A - 8010 Graz, Austria **
      ** email: tnatschl@...-graz.ac.at **