[MURG] Re: Intro & Articles II *ignore previous*

  • luigi tosti
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 31, 2000
      HEY, anybody want to talk about mind uploading in italian with me??? JUST
      JOKING ! I also want to say I am both pleased and impressed with how quickly the
      group is becoming organized, hopefully we don't grow antennas and form an ant
      colony.
      My contribution to this group unfortunately isn't much, my major is biology but
      I'll be switching into psych (through the faculty of science, so I will hopefully
      learn a few things about synapses and neurotransmitters, etc...). Computer
      knowledge is limited, but I have begun teaching myself JAVA, but I really won't be
      able to do much until the late summer.
      By the way, if my messages, although few, are messed up, tell me, thank you.

      luigi

      Randal Koene wrote:

      > On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Eugene Leitl wrote:
      >
      > > Randal Koene writes:
      > > >
      > > > Oh come on Eugene! ;)
      > > > Isn't that just a little bit harsh? He's making a serious contribution
      > > > afterall... and it's really just up to me to take the RTF, convert it and
      > > > make it available through minduploading.org. I have no problem with that,
      > >
      > > This is wrong logic, the workload of making the message understandable
      > > should not be shifted to the recipient of the message. For the same
      >
      > You misunderstood my point... I said *I* just had to convert it for you
      > all, since I have to edit it for OSP anyway... and then anyone can read
      > it there (and of course I sent you a copy). But your point is well taken,
      > and I understand the policy of not encouraging such behaviour.
      >
      > > reason I don't speak Russian or German here. Come on, you could use
      > > Babelfish, right? It will only take you a few minutes, and you'll lose
      > > some of the information, but so what. You could read it, right? Ok, Ó
      > > ÜÔÏÇÏ ÍÏÍÅÎÔÁ Ñ ÂÕÄÕ ÐÉÓÁÔØ ÐÏ ÒÕÓÓËÉ. ÷ÁÓ ÜÔÏ ÎÅ ÕÓÔÒÁÉ×ÁÅÔ? ïÞÅÎØ
      > > ÖÁÌØ. ñ ÐÒÉÍÅÎÑÀ ÒÕÓÓËÉÊ, × ÏÄÎÏÊ ÉÚ ÓÔÁÎÄÁÒÔÏ× (!) ËÏÄÉÒÏ×ËÉ. Was? Es
      > > ist ein bisschen schwer zu verstehen? Tut mir sehr leid. Das ist Ihr
      > > Problem, ich benutze schliesslich eine standartisierte Form fuer den
      > > Informationsaustausch.
      >
      > Was mich betrifft koenntest du aber genauso gut Deutsch mit mir reden.
      > Das macht mir gar nichts aus. Na ja, dein Beispiel verstehe ich wohl, nur
      > hast du leider meine Muttersprache gewaehlt (meine Mutter ist Deutsch
      > naturalisierte Oesterreicherin). ;)
      >
      > Was ist ausserdem mit dem ganzen Siezen los, wir sind doch hier unter
      > Freunden, du darfst mich also ruhig auch mit "du" ansprechen.
      >
      > Well enough of that... couldn't resist. ;) Sorry everyone. No useful
      > content in the above paragraphs, but if you like I'll translate it anyway
      > to prove it. My humble apologies again.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Randal

      > RANDAL A. KOENE
      > Neural Modeling Lab, Department of Psychology - McGill University
      > randalk@..., www.psych.mcgill.ca/perpg/stds/rk/
      > minduploading.org, Lab:(514)-398-4319, Home:(514)-767-6406

      > You can today at X.com - and we'll give you $20 to try it! Sign
      >
      > up today at X.com. It's quick, free, & there's no obligation!

      > -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/murg/?m=1
    • Randal Koene
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2000
        Hi Luigi,

        On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, luigi tosti wrote:

        > HEY, anybody want to talk about mind uploading in italian with me??? JUST
        > JOKING ! I also want to say I am both pleased and impressed with how quickly the
        > group is becoming organized, hopefully we don't grow antennas and form an ant
        > colony.

        Heh... I guess that's all a matter of perspective. :)
        This group has been around for quite a number of years (is MURG 4 or 5
        years old now?)... there was a stage pre-Egroups. And Joe's web pages are
        even older!

        But the times are catching up, and so the idea of mind uploading is
        becoming more popular, and that effect is definitely noticable here! I'm
        very happy about it. :)

        *** AND I EXPRESS MY SINCERE WELCOME TO ALL OUR NEW MEMBERS!!! ***

        > My contribution to this group unfortunately isn't much, my major is biology but
        > I'll be switching into psych (through the faculty of science, so I will hopefully
        > learn a few things about synapses and neurotransmitters, etc...). Computer
        > knowledge is limited, but I have begun teaching myself JAVA, but I really won't be
        > able to do much until the late summer.

        Oh my God... what are you saying Luigi! ;)
        Biology is the *crux* of the matter! Who cares if we understand
        psychologically what part of the brain does what if we can emulate it
        biologically! Of course you have things to contribute.
        Switching to psych (especially if it is neuropsych) is very useful, but
        biology is too. Don't worry about the computer knowledge. I think the
        computer angle is the one we have most covered already.

        Cheers,
        Randal

        RANDAL A. KOENE
        Neural Modeling Lab, Department of Psychology - McGill University
        randalk@..., www.psych.mcgill.ca/perpg/stds/rk/
        minduploading.org, Lab:(514)-398-4319, Home:(514)-767-6406
      • Keith Wiley
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 1, 2000
          > > reason I don't speak Russian or German here. Come on, you could use
          > > Babelfish, right? It will only take you a few minutes, and you'll lose
          > > some of the information, but so what. You could read it, right? Ok, Ó
          > > ÜÔÏÇÏ ÍÏÍÅÎÔÁ Ñ ÂÕÄÕ ÐÉÓÁÔØ ÐÏ ÒÕÓÓËÉ. ÷ÁÓ ÜÔÏ ÎÅ ÕÓÔÒÁÉxÁÅÔ? ïÞÅÎØ
          > > ÖÁÌØ. ñ ÐÒÉÍÅÎÑÀ ÒÕÓÓËÉÊ, x ÏÄÎÏÊ ÉÚ ÓÔÁÎÄÁÒÔÏx (!) ËÏÄÉÒÏxËÉ. Was? Es
          > > ist ein bisschen schwer zu verstehen? Tut mir sehr leid. Das ist Ihr
          > > Problem, ich benutze schliesslich eine standartisierte Form fuer den
          > > Informationsaustausch.
          >
          > Was mich betrifft koenntest du aber genauso gut Deutsch mit mir reden.
          > Das macht mir gar nichts aus. Na ja, dein Beispiel verstehe ich wohl, nur
          > hast du leider meine Muttersprache gewaehlt (meine Mutter ist Deutsch
          > naturalisierte Oesterreicherin). ;)
          >
          > Was ist ausserdem mit dem ganzen Siezen los, wir sind doch hier unter
          > Freunden, du darfst mich also ruhig auch mit "du" ansprechen.

          Boy, you better but that out *real* fast. :-)

          . . .. ... ..... ........ ............. .....................
          .. ... ..... ....... ........... ............. .................
          . .. .... ........ ................ ................................
          Keith Wiley *
          keithw@... * * * * * *
          http://www.unm.edu/~keithw *** ** * * ** *
          http://www.amp3.net/keithw (mp3 music) * ** ** ***
        • Eugene Leitl
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 1, 2000
            Randal Koene writes:

            > Heh... I guess that's all a matter of perspective. :)
            > This group has been around for quite a number of years (is MURG 4 or 5
            > years old now?)... there was a stage pre-Egroups. And Joe's web pages are
            > even older!

            Well, there was even a pre-MURG stage called NEL.
          • Randal Koene
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 1, 2000
              On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Eugene Leitl wrote:

              > Randal Koene writes:
              >
              > > Heh... I guess that's all a matter of perspective. :)
              > > This group has been around for quite a number of years (is MURG 4 or 5
              > > years old now?)... there was a stage pre-Egroups. And Joe's web pages are
              > > even older!
              >
              > Well, there was even a pre-MURG stage called NEL.

              I know... I was signed up for that one too :)
              Bunch'a old-timers, that's what we are!

              Now sometimes I wish NEL was still active, because now I do have a ton of
              actual neural emulation questions.