[MURG] Re: Uploading book?

  • Keith Wiley
    Message 1 of 74 , Jun 1, 1999
      count me in.

      Joseph J. Strout wrote:

      > Keith wrote:
      >
      > >Joe, can we hammer out the ND agreement while still biding Ansgar's suggestion
      > >of forgoing the details of profit-target selection? The skeleton of the book
      > >is the most important thing and I know you don't want to discuss that in too
      > >much detail before we get this stuff done.
      >
      > Right, let's do it -- I agree that we can detail the selection of an
      > appropriate research organization later.
      >
      > Here are some NDAs...
      > http://autm.rice.edu/autm/policy/nondisclosure.html
      >
      > I haven't had time to look them over, though. I could also take one of the
      > ones I've signed over the years, and adapt that (fortunately the NDA is not
      > covered by itself!).
      >
      > So who's in on this project? Randal, Keith, Ansgar, me? Please confirm or
      > deny your intent to participate. As soon as that's done, we should all set
      > up address lists in our respective email clients, and stop cluttering MURG
      > with this noise. :)
      >
      > Cheers,
      > -- Joe
      > ,------------------------------------------------------------------.
      > | Joseph J. Strout Biocomputing -- The Salk Institute |
      > | joe@... http://www.strout.net |
      > `------------------------------------------------------------------'

      > Make the News Come to you!
      > FREE email newsletters sent directly to your in-box
      > USAToday, Forbes, Wired, and more. Sign-up NOW!
      > http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/316
      >
      > eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/murg

      . . .. ... ..... ........ ............. .....................
      .. ... ..... ....... ........... ............. .................
      . .. .... ........ ................ ................................
      Keith Wiley * * * * *
      Email: kwiley@... ** * * ** *
      WWW: http://www.tigr.org/~kwiley/ * ** ** ***
      MP3 songs: http://www.amp3.net/keithw
      MP3 cds: http://www.mp3.com/keithWiley

      eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/murg
    • j.Maxwell Legg
      Message 74 of 74 , Jun 1, 1999
        Beep Beep! Just a passing remark to wish you all well on your Uploading
        book monopoly, a la Rockefeller -> Gates - > Strout.

        I'm sorry not to be able to contribute to this long series on the
        Uploading book. Anyway, I've just managed to read all the posts that I
        missed and this one stands out in need of comment. Before now I've been
        too busy getting WinGrid up and running.

        "Peter C. McCluskey" wrote: (I think)

        > >Dividing among the individuals, on the other hand, is done all the time and
        > >requires basically nothing but a written agreement.

        Not So. It needs continual adjustment and more importantly, for it to
        work well it needs non-linear input systems beyond our frail human
        capabilities.

        > But may have the side effect of increased incentives towards competition
        > within the group, and will definitely increase the amount of thought needed
        > to keep track of who gets credit for what. In a project such as Linux,
        > people are almost always glad to give credit where credit is due. Where
        > there's money involved, assigning credit often becomes less honest.
        > The monetary rewards aren't likely to be worth these risks.

        My experience is that competition within a group does not lead to an
        increase of incentives. Competition will lead to isolation and a
        tendency to ignore the less dominant competitor.

        For example, if I suggest you all have a good look at my open source
        WinGrid project for today's Win95/98/NT, surely you will want to remain
        free to continue to ignore this work so you can find your own
        alternatives. I thought about using it for not only managing the
        development of the Uploading book but any other development as well,
        including even the psychological integration of the uploading act
        itself,

        However, this WinGrid software lens is just my unashamedly personal
        method of developing my own uploading apparel and it wants for no
        resources save what the future will provide. Book or no book.

        Best regards,
        j.

        http://ingrid.netpedia.net/wingrid

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/murg