Happy New Year to you all!

  • Isabel Brattkull
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2004
      So sorry for not having written as I should, but as many of you know
      (at least those I write to here) I've been very down and depressed
      because of my financial situation. And to be depressed, as many of
      you also know, takes all energy you have and leaves nothing for
      later. But two weeks ago I decided to stop wasting my time and do
      something creative instead, so I started mailing out my resumé and
      presentation to companies in and around Gothenburg. The more they
      see my name, the bigger the chance they might think of me if they
      need to hire new staff.

      I thought you might be interested in seeing my New Year menu. I've
      already made the dessert, it's in the freezer, and soon I'll get
      busy with the main course. Those of you who write to me probably
      have got the recipe for the dessert already, but there are many who
      haven't! I made it last year as well and it was sooo good!

      STILTON-BAKED FILLET OF PORK
      WITH PORT SAUCE AND PARSLEY POTATOES
      Stiltongratinerad fläskfilé med portvinssås
      och persiljepotatis

      Serves 4

      1 3/4 lbs fillet of pork
      butter or margarine for frying
      salt, black pepper
      good 1/3 – 1/2 cup Stilton cheese (2 1/2 to 3 1/2 oz)
      (if you can't find Stilton cheese, you
      can use blue cheese)

      Port sauce:
      good 3/4 cup crème fraiche or sour cream
      3/4 cup meat stock (pan juices + water + fond)
      scant 1/4 cup port
      1 tbsp all-purpose flour
      1/2 tsp salt
      dash black pepper
      1 tsp dried tarragon

      Preheat oven to 435F.

      Mix the ingredients for the sauce in a saucepan and bring to a boil
      while stirring. Cut the meat in slices and brown them in fat in a
      frying pan. Flavor with salt and black pepper. Whisk out the pan
      with scant 1/4 cup water and strain this into the sauce.

      Put the sliced fillet of pork in a greased, oven-proof dish with
      high walls and pour on the sauce, which must not cover the meat. Put
      a piece (crumble/slice) of Stilton cheese on top of each slice of
      meat (or just crumble it over the meat) and put the dish in the
      middle of the oven. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the cheese
      has melted and taken color.

      Serve with boiled potatoes, that you sautee slightly (whole) in a
      frying pan after boiling and sprinkle with chopped parsley.

      ICE COLD NEW YEAR'S DREAM
      Iskall nyårsdröm

      Serves 8

      10 oz almond paste
      2 eggs
      2 tbs potato starch (don't know if
      cornstarch is equally good here!)

      Filling:
      1 1/4 cups whipping cream
      (isn't "cream" one of the most
      beautifully looking words in the English
      language? Just look at it, taste it!)
      1/3 lb good-quality white chocolate
      2 eggs
      2 tbsp brandy

      Raspberry sauce:
      1/2 lb frozen raspberries
      2 – 3 tbsp sugar

      Preheat oven to 350F.

      Grease and flour a dish with loose edges, diameter good 9". Grate
      the almond paste (I'll post a recipe for it in case you can't get
      hold of it or it's too expensive). Whisk up the eggs and mix with
      the almond paste and starch. Pour the batter in the dish and bake in
      the lower part of the oven for 20 minutes. Allow the cake to cool
      and gently loosen it from the dish.

      Wash and dry the dish well, then put the cake back in, for now it's
      time to fix the filling!

      Beat the cream. Melt the chocolate on low heat in a waterbath. Whisk
      up the eggs in a large bowl. Add the chocolate while stirring
      vigorously, then stir in the brandy and last the cream. Spread this
      mousse over the cake in the dish. Cover with plastic film and freeze
      for at least 3 hours.

      Thaw the raspberries and mix them with sugar to taste. If you wish,
      pass it through a sieve for a smoother sauce (personally I don't
      think that's necessary when making raspberry sauce).

      Let the cake stand in room temperature for about 30 minutes before
      serving with the raspberry sauce. If you wish, you can decorate with
      silver "bullets" (you know, of the edible kind)and flaked almonds.

      Last but not least, let me take this opportunity to wish all of you
      who celebrate on December 31st the Happiest of New Years. I know
      it's not easy to celebrate today with this horrible tragedy - Sweden
      has 54 confirmed dead and more than 2.500 missing still, and it
      seems we're the European country with the greatest number of missing
      and dead. Let's send our deep, warm, heartfelt thoughts to all the
      victims of earthquake and death wave when we gather together this
      evening to see the New Year in.

      Bella