Over Arm Substuite

  • catfish7251
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2005
      Instead of 4" tubing for the overarm, how about using 1 1/2" rnd.
      solid stock with bushings or bearings to 4" [or the bore size].

      I'm not familure with how to figure the stress load, so maybe someone
      can and tell us if this would work and what size rnd, stock is needed.
      In my area its hard to find lg. rnd. tubing, and ordering it will be
      expensive, solid might be cheaper in a smaller size.

      Also could someone post pictures or give an explanation of how to
      attach the 4 cyl. block to the six,

      And details about the up and down adjustments?

      It seems an Acme thread with a gear box to convert to a handle would
      work.

      Has any one made a table instead of buying one

      I am using a Ford Tarus spindle which will give me a 1.450 ID.

      If anyone needs an ideal on a power feed, I can post pictures of one
      I built using an elec. scooter parts.

      catfish.
    • David Lee
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2005
        I'm interested.

        David Lee

        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2005
          iam interested Bear
        • george_ewen
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2005
            Use whatever you have or can get. That is the whole idea behind
            building this kind of machine. I would guess that 1-1/2 shaft should
            work fine.

            I would like to see your photos as well.

            George

            --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "catfish7251" <cleon@m...>

            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2005
              Hi catfish

              George is right (as usual). The MM concept is to use
              what you are able to find. Another part of the idea is
              for a non lathe owner to be able to get an accurate
              machine with just 2 or 3 total hours of lathe time.
              This is done by using an engine shop to bore or sleeve
              the block to fit the overarm and spindle. An engine
              shop is much more accurate and and much cheaper than
              any machine shop that I know of because they do this
              all day long.

              As for the 4" size for the overarm. (1) It fits the
              block. (2) It's hollow so that it can be filled with
              concrete if needed. (3) The piece of tubing that I
              found was extremely accurate. It measured 4.0025" no
              matter how I measured it. 3 1/2" pipe will work just
              as well but you will have to have it turned down
              enough to make it truly round and it will still have
              to be fitted to the block.

              http://mail.yahoo.com