Re: Tail stock

  • cvlac
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2009
      Yes, this is not a bad idea , just for the beginning.Could be difficult to align the centers, but not impossible. Then having a working lathe, one can cast a real tail stock with ZA12.I;m planing to do so, and have buy from rotometals 20 ounce of zinc.Yesterday I have found for free 50 clay bricks, form someone that had destroyed his fireplace at his home.
      Costas

      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Delany" <rigmatch@...> wrote:

      > The tail stock could be as simple as a piece of 6" angle iron that could mount a drill chuck and a home made live center. One side of the iron could be drilled and fly cut true from the head stock. A "key" could be bolted on the bottom to keep it aligned between the ways.
      >
      > Pat

    • Ian Newman
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
        Hi,

        Alignment of the tailstock centre would be easy to achieve:

        Hold a boring tool in the lathe chuck at the headstock.

        Mount the tailstock between the headstock and the saddle.  Make sure it is free to slide along the bed, but with minimum play.

        Wind the saddle towards the headstock so it pushes the tailstock onto the boring tool.

        The resulting bore through the tailstock will be inherently parallel to the bed.

        Ian.

        Yes, this is not a bad idea , just for the beginning.Could be difficult to align the centers, but not impossible. Then having a working lathe, one can cast a real tail stock with ZA12.I;m planing to do so, and have buy from rotometals 20 ounce of zinc.Yesterday I have found for free 50 clay bricks, form someone that had destroyed his fireplace at his home.
        Costas

        --- In multimachine@ yahoogroups. com, "Pat Delany" <rigmatch@.. .> wrote:

        > The tail stock could be as simple as a piece of 6" angle iron that could mount a drill chuck and a home made live center. One side of the iron could be drilled and fly cut true from the head stock. A "key" could be bolted on the bottom to keep it aligned between the ways.
        >
        > Pat

      • Bruce Bellows
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
          I would also check to verify that the chuck jaws are square to the bed. Then a boring should be parallel to the bed.

          Bruce

          Yes, this is not a bad idea , just for the beginning.Could be difficult to align the centers, but not impossible. Then having a working lathe, one can cast a real tail stock with ZA12.I;m planing to do so, and have buy from rotometals 20 ounce of zinc.Yesterday I have found for free 50 clay bricks, form someone that had destroyed his fireplace at his home.
          Costas

          --- In multimachine@ yahoogroups. com, "Pat Delany" <rigmatch@.. .> wrote:

          > The tail stock could be as simple as a piece of 6" angle iron that could mount a drill chuck and a home made live center. One side of the iron could be drilled and fly cut true from the head stock. A "key" could be bolted on the bottom to keep it aligned between the ways.
          >
          > Pat

        • Jeff
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
            Bruce
            You could use a bent boring bar and an uncentered 4 jaw chuck. It doesn't matter because the cutter rotates at a single point in space. The tailstock moves over it and it is guided by the rails. Worse case is that the hole comes out slightly oval and not centered but it will be parallel to the rails. Centering is expected to be a little off but the side to side adjustment can comp for that.
            Jeff

            --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Bellows" <bbellows@...> wrote:

            > I would also check to verify that the chuck jaws are square to the bed. Then a boring should be parallel to the bed.
            >
            > Bruce

          • Ian Newman
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
              Hi Bruce,

              I used this method when I built my first lathe - a watchmakers size lathe using some T section angle iron as a bed.

              I made two temporary centres (nails banged through pieces of wood).  The wood mounted centres were clamped to the bed and a boring bar mounted between them.

              The saddle was used to push a fabricated headstock over the boring tool and the job was then repeated to make a tailstock.  As the boring tool rotates and does not move along the axis of the lathe, any slight misalignment of the centres has minimal effect.

              Ian.