I would love to know

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
      How the axles and bearings are made on this.
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/27/AR2009032701154.html

      Might sound silly but I think its important.

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
        Hello Pat
         It is probably at the bottom end of the tech scale.
         The   wooden wheel has a hole in it with no bearings
         There mught be a tube/pipe in it to keep wear down.
         The axle is a simple rod/bolt .
        Some grease/oil for a lube.

        How the axles and bearings are made on this.
        http://www.washingt onpost.com/ wp-dyn/content/ article/2009/ 03/27/AR20090327 01154.html

        Might sound silly but I think its important.

        Pat

      • J W
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
          By doing a google search for more images it seems the bar is solid mounted in the wheel and the forks have a small groove cut out of them to allow the axle to rest in it then a cap is put on the base to hold it in ... Here is 3 pics that might help see.

          << http://jeremierita.canalblog.com/images/t-DSC01061.JPG >>
          << http://www.flickr.com/photos/12235091@N00/44824153/ >>
          << http://jeremierita.canalblog.com/images/DSCN2697.JPG >>

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
            Ah found one more that is a very close up shot of the rear wheel which is attached a bit different than the front.

            << http://www.cedcc.psu.edu/khanjan/cCongo/P1080932.JPG >>

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 1, 2009
              Thanks guys!
              People accuse me of being primitive! I wonder if these things really need license plates?

              There is a lesson here for us about the accuracy and durability needed to perform a given task in a given place.

              Pat