RE: [multimachine] Re: A big MM bed and carriage

  • Bill Derby
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009

      Actually, that is considered North Central Texas, East would be the Piney Woods, the border regions…

      Bill Derby

      Coloradan by birth,

      Texan by choice,

      American by the Grace of God!

      From: Pat Delany <rigmatch@yahoo. com>
      Subject: [multimachine] Re: A big MM bed and carriage
      To: multimachine@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 10:15 PM

      The only cold rolled available in East Texas is keystock!

      Pat

      --- In multimachine@ yahoogroups. com, keith gutshall <drpshops@.. .>
      wrote:

      > Hello Nick
      > You have got it. The cold rolled is closer tolerance than hot
      rolled.
      >  I made a way when I was experimenting and it took about 3 days to
      get it to work halfway good. The hot rolled  was tough to work into a
      good way.
      >  I got some cold rolled and it work up easy to a good way It worked
      into a way with about
      >  0.0005 variance in it .
      >  That looked very good to me,I am not complaining.
      >
      >  Keith
      >
      > Deep Run Portage
      > Back Shop
      > " The Lizard Works"

      tolerances, no scale, etc. = less hand work!

      com> wrote:

      > Hello Pat
      >  I was planning on useing cold rolled steel for the machine ways.
      >  It is a lot better tha hot rolled and there is no black mill scale
      on it.
      > It cost a little more but work alot better and the size is good.
      >
      >  Keith
      >
      > Deep Run Portage
      > Back Shop
      > " The Lizard Works"

      but a single throat, and I had my hands about it..."  Rorschach, 1975

      > "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
      temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin
      Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania , 1759

      > "Be polite.  Be professional.  But be prepared to kill everyone you
      meet."  Anonymous

      > "I believe that if you can't find something nice to say about
      somebody, then you must be talking about Hillary Clinton."  Jeff
      Foxworthy

    • a1g2r3i
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
        Just checked your phots Keith. ROCK ON! Way to go!
        keep smiling
        dennis mac

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
          Hello Dennis
           You like that design?
          The outside of the way holds the carriage and the inside guides the tailstock.

          wrote:

          > Hello Pat
          >  I have a design that is sort of like that for my machine.
          >  It is in the photo two block lathe.
          > ?>  Keith
          >
          > Deep Run Portage
          > Back Shop
          > " The Lizard Works"

        • a1g2r3i
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
            Dear Nick
            Please correct me if I am wrong; as I read Dave's book 2 The metal
            lathe, he speakes of scraping the aluminium bed casting but with the
            cold rolled steel on page 33 I only see where he speaks of scraping
            the front edge and then after that ,setting the carriage on, squaring
            it up and sliding the carriage up and down using blueing to high-
            light high spots of the edge. The photo also only shows scraping the
            front edge. So far, I have not seen where he dresses the surface of
            the cold rolled steel. I believe some folkes have said that such
            dressing (of the flat surface) would cause warpage. Now here I am
            getting to untested, by me, theory so I could be wrong and am open to
            correction if so. It is just what I have read.
            keep smiling
            dennis mac

            --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, Nick Andrews <nickjandrews@...>

            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
              Yes Keith
              If one was to take it further, looking at some lathes with four
              separite strips for the bed with two having an upward taper with both
              the carriage and the tailstock sliding on seperate tapered and flat
              parts. I would think that would cut down on wear because of these two
              assemblies not just wearing on the one set of ways. The ways for the
              tail stock, I think, would not wear as fast near the spindle head as
              the carriage ways.
              keep smiling
              dennis mac

              wrote:

              > Hello Dennis
              >  You like that design?
              > The outside of the way holds the carriage and the inside guides the
              tailstock.
              > ?>  Keith
              >

              > Deep Run Portage
              > Back Shop
              > " The Lizard Works"

            • Nick Andrews
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                Hi Dennis,

                Well, I must admit it's been about 4 years since I read the whole book.  But I remembered where he talks about using CRS over HRS for the reasons already mentioned.  I don't think minor scraping of any surface would cause warpage, but I suppose it's possible.

                Nick

                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                  Hello Dennis
                   On the ways I made ,i scraped them.
                   Basically I just scraped them lightly to get the rolling mill marks out of it.
                  I did not get heavy handed about it.You just want to clean it up good.
                  It didnot seem to warp it or anything.
                   You can look at it when you are working on it tell how it is doing.
                  You are not removeing but very little metal at a time.

                  wrote:

                  > Exactly the reasons Dave used it vs HRS originally, right? Closer
                  > tolerances, no scale, etc. = less hand work!
                  >
                  > On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 3:15 PM, keith gutshall <drpshops@.. .> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hello Pat
                  > > I was planning on useing cold rolled steel for the machine ways.
                  > > It is a lot better tha hot rolled and there is no black mill
                  scale on it.
                  > > It cost a little more but work alot better and the size is good.
                  > >
                  > > Keith
                  > >
                  > > Deep Run Portage
                  > > Back Shop
                  > > " The Lizard Works"

                • Lance
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                    Would someone briefly describe the process of
                     "scraping the surface flat" ?
                    What tool is to be used?

                    Is it like that done for wood scraping?
                    Could a wood cabinet scraper be used on CRS ?

                    Thanks

                    lance
                    ++++

                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                      Hi Lance
                      Good stuff on our links page!

                      Pat

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                        Hello Lance
                         It sort of like wood scraping. you are just takeing off small amounts
                        of metal.
                         I have not tried it with a wood scraping tool,I do not have one.
                         If I had one I would give it a try. I just use a blade  from a utility knife.
                         There are other scraper maybe better for the job than a utility knife blade,
                         but it works for me for small jobs.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                          Nick Andrews wrote:
                          > Exactly the reasons Dave used it vs HRS originally, right? Closer
                          > tolerances, no scale, etc. = less hand work!
                          However, surface stresses on CRS can warp things pretty badly.

                          --
                          David G. LeVine
                          Nashua, NH 03060
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                            Hi Dennis
                            I think that putting box sections below the steel bars would be just another way to introduce inaccuracy.
                            I don't think that cutting the block would be that hard. I recently drilled a bunch of small holes in a big piece of cast iron, chiseled a line between the holes and neatly broke it off with a big hammer.
                            As for the hot rolled vs cold rolled controversy, I just can't buy big cold rolled shapes and I think most people in the world can't either

                            Pat