RE: [multimachine] Re: A big MM bed and carriage

  • Bill Derby
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009

      Actually, that is considered North Central Texas, East would be the Piney Woods, the border regions…

      Bill Derby

      Coloradan by birth,

      Texan by choice,

      American by the Grace of God!

      From: Pat Delany <rigmatch@yahoo. com>
      Subject: [multimachine] Re: A big MM bed and carriage
      To: multimachine@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, March 2, 2009, 10:15 PM

      The only cold rolled available in East Texas is keystock!

      Pat

      --- In multimachine@ yahoogroups. com, keith gutshall <drpshops@.. .>
      wrote:

      > Hello Nick
      > You have got it. The cold rolled is closer tolerance than hot
      rolled.
      >  I made a way when I was experimenting and it took about 3 days to
      get it to work halfway good. The hot rolled  was tough to work into a
      good way.
      >  I got some cold rolled and it work up easy to a good way It worked
      into a way with about
      >  0.0005 variance in it .
      >  That looked very good to me,I am not complaining.
      >
      >  Keith
      >
      > Deep Run Portage
      > Back Shop
      > " The Lizard Works"

      tolerances, no scale, etc. = less hand work!

      com> wrote:

      > Hello Pat
      >  I was planning on useing cold rolled steel for the machine ways.
      >  It is a lot better tha hot rolled and there is no black mill scale
      on it.
      > It cost a little more but work alot better and the size is good.
      >
      >  Keith
      >
      > Deep Run Portage
      > Back Shop
      > " The Lizard Works"

      but a single throat, and I had my hands about it..."  Rorschach, 1975

      > "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
      temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin
      Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania , 1759

      > "Be polite.  Be professional.  But be prepared to kill everyone you
      meet."  Anonymous

      > "I believe that if you can't find something nice to say about
      somebody, then you must be talking about Hillary Clinton."  Jeff
      Foxworthy

    • a1g2r3i
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
        Interesting Pat
        Am wondering, even though I have said at times to cut the
        block myself, if by cutting the block in two or just pieces out of
        it, if by doing this it would release stresses within the cast iron
        or cast aluminum that would nessitate a waiting time for the block to
        season and work out these stresses. It may be a try it and see, sort
        of thing.
        It may be do-able. Would you taper the under-sides of these strips
        of hot rolled flat-iron to hold the carriage in place; or, perhaps
        have an upward taper on one of them and leave the other flat (to
        borrow from Kieth's idea using two strips of metal)? Would you also
        then extend the sides of these pieces of flat-iron over the sides of
        the top to enable griping below them to hold the carriage down? I
        like the idea of using the hot rolled, in that it can be made smooth
        by dressing the surfaces of the flatiron without fear of warpage,
        that is, if my understanding is correct.
        Pat; Just had another thought; what about introducing pieces of
        square tubing under each of the pieces of flat-iron to raise them up,
        thus eliminating the need to cut a grove in the block? ( I am meaning
        to use these pieces of square tubing on their side so as to eliminate
        any need of accuracy in cutting them to length to achive the desired
        height. ) At the left hand end, standing at the side of this block
        could sit your multimachine as the spindle head, and with a piece
        of, posibly, four inch square tubing to maintain part of the
        alignment equation as it would be against the multimachine block and
        the front of this other block to be used as a lathe bed. This set-up
        might also provide the gap to mount larger stock near the spindle
        head end by not extending the metal all the way to the left end. This
        second block to the right of the multimachine block would also
        introduce the stability of cast iron to the set-up if I have it right
        What think?
        keep smiling
        dennis mac

        --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Pat Delany" <rigmatch@...>
        wrote:

        > Something I am thinking about..
        > The bed would use 2 pcs. of 3/4 x 5" hrs. bolted to a block head
        > surface with a 2" gap between the bars. A matching slot would be
        ground
        > out of the block head surface so as to provide room for the lead
        screw
        > and the lead screw nut that would be attached to the bottom of the
        > carriage.
        >
        > The carriage would be similar in design (not size) to the Romig
        design
        > used on his turret lathe (files). It would be made from a 12" x 12"
        > 3/4" plate with a "U" cut out for chuck clearance (like most lathes
        > have). The top of the slide would be made from an 8" x 12" 3/4"
        plate.

        > The bed could be fixed or could be elevated by jack screws on each
        end
        > that are connected by a gearmotor driven chain.
        >
        > What do you think?
        >
        > Pat

      • a1g2r3i
        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
          Just checked your phots Keith. ROCK ON! Way to go!
          keep smiling
          dennis mac

          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
            Hello Dennis
             You like that design?
            The outside of the way holds the carriage and the inside guides the tailstock.

            wrote:

            > Hello Pat
            >  I have a design that is sort of like that for my machine.
            >  It is in the photo two block lathe.
            > ?>  Keith
            >
            > Deep Run Portage
            > Back Shop
            > " The Lizard Works"

          • a1g2r3i
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
              Dear Nick
              Please correct me if I am wrong; as I read Dave's book 2 The metal
              lathe, he speakes of scraping the aluminium bed casting but with the
              cold rolled steel on page 33 I only see where he speaks of scraping
              the front edge and then after that ,setting the carriage on, squaring
              it up and sliding the carriage up and down using blueing to high-
              light high spots of the edge. The photo also only shows scraping the
              front edge. So far, I have not seen where he dresses the surface of
              the cold rolled steel. I believe some folkes have said that such
              dressing (of the flat surface) would cause warpage. Now here I am
              getting to untested, by me, theory so I could be wrong and am open to
              correction if so. It is just what I have read.
              keep smiling
              dennis mac

              --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, Nick Andrews <nickjandrews@...>

              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                Yes Keith
                If one was to take it further, looking at some lathes with four
                separite strips for the bed with two having an upward taper with both
                the carriage and the tailstock sliding on seperate tapered and flat
                parts. I would think that would cut down on wear because of these two
                assemblies not just wearing on the one set of ways. The ways for the
                tail stock, I think, would not wear as fast near the spindle head as
                the carriage ways.
                keep smiling
                dennis mac

                wrote:

                > Hello Dennis
                >  You like that design?
                > The outside of the way holds the carriage and the inside guides the
                tailstock.
                > ?>  Keith
                >

                > Deep Run Portage
                > Back Shop
                > " The Lizard Works"

              • Nick Andrews
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                  Hi Dennis,

                  Well, I must admit it's been about 4 years since I read the whole book.  But I remembered where he talks about using CRS over HRS for the reasons already mentioned.  I don't think minor scraping of any surface would cause warpage, but I suppose it's possible.

                  Nick

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                    Hello Dennis
                     On the ways I made ,i scraped them.
                     Basically I just scraped them lightly to get the rolling mill marks out of it.
                    I did not get heavy handed about it.You just want to clean it up good.
                    It didnot seem to warp it or anything.
                     You can look at it when you are working on it tell how it is doing.
                    You are not removeing but very little metal at a time.

                    wrote:

                    > Exactly the reasons Dave used it vs HRS originally, right? Closer
                    > tolerances, no scale, etc. = less hand work!
                    >
                    > On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 3:15 PM, keith gutshall <drpshops@.. .> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hello Pat
                    > > I was planning on useing cold rolled steel for the machine ways.
                    > > It is a lot better tha hot rolled and there is no black mill
                    scale on it.
                    > > It cost a little more but work alot better and the size is good.
                    > >
                    > > Keith
                    > >
                    > > Deep Run Portage
                    > > Back Shop
                    > > " The Lizard Works"

                  • Lance
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                      Would someone briefly describe the process of
                       "scraping the surface flat" ?
                      What tool is to be used?

                      Is it like that done for wood scraping?
                      Could a wood cabinet scraper be used on CRS ?

                      Thanks

                      lance
                      ++++

                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                        Hi Lance
                        Good stuff on our links page!

                        Pat

                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                          Hello Lance
                           It sort of like wood scraping. you are just takeing off small amounts
                          of metal.
                           I have not tried it with a wood scraping tool,I do not have one.
                           If I had one I would give it a try. I just use a blade  from a utility knife.
                           There are other scraper maybe better for the job than a utility knife blade,
                           but it works for me for small jobs.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 3, 2009
                            Nick Andrews wrote:
                            > Exactly the reasons Dave used it vs HRS originally, right? Closer
                            > tolerances, no scale, etc. = less hand work!
                            However, surface stresses on CRS can warp things pretty badly.

                            --
                            David G. LeVine
                            Nashua, NH 03060
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 4, 2009
                              Hi Dennis
                              I think that putting box sections below the steel bars would be just another way to introduce inaccuracy.
                              I don't think that cutting the block would be that hard. I recently drilled a bunch of small holes in a big piece of cast iron, chiseled a line between the holes and neatly broke it off with a big hammer.
                              As for the hot rolled vs cold rolled controversy, I just can't buy big cold rolled shapes and I think most people in the world can't either