Re: Photos - Files

  • cvlac
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2009
      Hi Pierre
      Now it is OK.
      Thanx Costas

      --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Pierre Coueffin" <pcoueffin@...>
      wrote:

      > I downloaded a fresh copy of the original pdf file, and used a
      > different tool to generate higher resolution (400 DPI) copies of the
      > original images. Which is what the hosting site says that they were
      > originally scanned at. I have put these images in the files section
      > as 3 separate zip files (to get around Yahoo's 5 meg limit.)
      >
      > These images have not been enhanced in any way, so they are pretty
      > faint. If you have image processing tools, they are probably your
      > best bet for raw data though.
      >
      > The files are called:
      > nonlinearscrewcutter-pages-01-07.zip
      > nonlinearscrewcutter-pages-08-14.zip
      > nonlinearscrewcutter-pages-15-21.zip
      >
      > If I get a bit of time, I will try to finish up some re-drawn copies
      > of these images.
      >
      > On 12/29/08, cvlac <cvlac0@...> wrote:
      > > Hi Pierre
      > > Me too I'm interested to this.!
      > > Please make these Photos as clear possible and repost them , since
      > > have printed them a couple of times , and I'm still not able to
      read
      > > them.
      > > Costas
      > >

      > > --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Pierre Coueffin"
      <pcoueffin@>
      > > wrote:
      > >>
      > >> I'm the culprit here!
      > >>
      > >> If you look in the archives around Feb 25 of 2008, Pat requested
      > > that
      > >> someone attempt to improve the legibility of the images in a PDF
      > > file
      > >> that was available through the links section of the site.
      > >>
      > >> What I did was download the PDF file and tear it apart.
      Internally
      > > it
      > >> was just a series of scans of an old document. I dumped the raw
      > >> images from the file and ran a bit of semi-automated cleanup
      > > software
      > >> on the images, tweaking the contrast mostly in an attempt to
      improve
      > >> legibility.
      > >>
      > >> I uploaded those "improved" images to the photo section as that
      > > seemed
      > >> the obvious home for them.
      > >>
      > >> I no longer have the PDF file, and have been unable to locate the
      > >> original URL. I have copies of the Jpeg files, which may or may
      not
      > >> be my "improved" versions. I'm not at home right now and have no
      > > copy
      > >> on my laptop, so I had to locate them via remote-access to my
      > > machine
      > >> at home... I did ask poke around the files at home, and they are
      > >> mostly on the close order of 800 pixels wide. Numbers 14 and 15
      are
      > >> nearer to 1900 pixels wide. I don't recall, but I assume that I
      > >> spliced together two images because the drawings spanned two
      pages
      > >> there. I'd be happy to send you these files if you think that
      Yahoo
      > >> has somehow mangled the originals.
      > >>
      > >> I did locate a couple of dxf files that I think were an attempt
      on
      > > my
      > >> part to trace these images in a CAD program, but I think that
      other
      > >> work forced me to stop 3 pages or so into the attempt. I can
      send
      > >> them to you if you like. I may make another attempt at doing
      this
      > >> conversion if anyone thinks that it is worthwhile, since I have
      new
      > >> software that I am now using to trace scanned images to produce
      > >> legible vector art, and I think that these images may decompose
      > > fairly
      > >> cleanly under such an approach.
      > >>
      > >> Anyway, I hope that provides some sort of background on these
      > > images.

      > > ScrewCutter" with a
      > > Inch South
      > > somebody
      > > a max of

      > > the group
      PDF,
      > > or any

      Gmail,
      > > and Yahoo

    • cvlac
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2009
        I will try to redraw all designs in Autocad, using these photo as
        background layer
        .It is difficult to have them in the exact size, since all hand written designs are not very exact in their dimensions, so it is
        difficult to directly copy them.The other alternative is to print them
        , and draw them to the computer from scratch.
        Costas

      • anthrhodes@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2009
          Pierre and others,

          Thanks. I've downloaded the zipped files and extracted each individual PNG file. Anything that can be done to improve the contrast and to converting them to CAD files will be greatly appreciated.

          Anthony
          Berkeley, Calif.
          In a message dated Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:45 am (PST), Pierre Coueffin writes:
          I downloaded a fresh copy of the original pdf file, and used a
          different tool to generate higher resolution (400 DPI) copies of the
          original images. Which is what the hosting site says that they were
          originally scanned at. I have put these images in the files section
          as 3 separate zip files (to get around Yahoo's 5 meg limit.)

          These images have not been enhanced in any way, so they are pretty
          faint. If you have image processing tools, they are probably your
          best bet for raw data though.

          The files are called:
          nonlinearscrewcutte r-pages-01- 07.zip
          nonlinearscrewcutte r-pages-08- 14.zip
          nonlinearscrewcutte r-pages-15- 21.zip

          If I get a bit of time, I will try to finish up some re-drawn copies
          of these images.

        • jacques savard

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
              On Friday 02 January 2009 09:41 am, jacques savard wrote:
              > http://i2.tinypic.com/246niw3.gif

              Wise men say the only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask--let's
              not discourage anyone from asking a question here, but gently steer
              them toward google for future questions. But if they need help, that's
              partly why we (some of us, anyway) are here, isn't it?

              Randy Kramer
              --
              I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
              instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
                my frend said it is a dumb question because I alway asking do you know this
                or that and it is clear I do not search on google or anywhere else
                I know he know the answer he was very young and very good in internet
                roother configure

                it is easyer to asking
                somtime

                I also like to give some advise from my long experience but somtime it is
                not realy usable

                jack 47'N 71'W

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
                  I've used several automated raster-to-vector packages... I've even
                  tried writing one. They sort of work, but I've never seen one that
                  makes drawings that I did not have to go over manually before I'd
                  consider cutting up an expensive piece of metal stock based on the
                  drawing. For a great many things, it turns out to be quicker and
                  easier to place the raster image on a locked background layer for
                  reference, and just trace it in a standard CAD package. For other
                  things, I typically use the potrace plugin in inkscape to generate the
                  vectors, then clean them up by hand. I can usually make "good enough"
                  drawings that way in a fairly short amount of time.

                  On the other hand, I'm a computer programmer, not a draftsman. My
                  little brother could look at the PDF, and draw up the whole thing in
                  AutoCAD in way less time than it would take me to clean up the traced
                  image.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
                    Hi All
                    I fully agree with you ,unless someone have find some newer raster-
                    to-vector program that do miracles.
                    To have an acceptable raster-to-vector conversion at least you must
                    have in hand a program that is costing more than 2,500.00 USD and it
                    is generally used in collaboration with these large HP ploters-
                    scanners machines used with mainframe computers,in the big
                    architectural companies .
                    We at work we had installed a low cost (250.00 USD)raster-to-vector
                    program , and it was never used since resulting drawings were not
                    good.The problem with low cost programs is that an automatic image
                    processing operation s needed before rasterization .And since source
                    raster images are generally too different , the program must always understand what to do like image processing.This is the difficult to
                    do.
                    So the faster way is to put the raster image as a background
                    layer, scale it(here is the difficult part since hand written designs
                    are never exact) ,and then design with AUTOCAD ( or any other vector
                    designing program you use) over the background. Personally I have the
                    lack to design mostly buildings electromechanical installations, and
                    since these drawings are always symbolic, I have not the problem to
                    produce exact dimensions.
                    I have forgot to say that scanned designs of older plotted drawings
                    are more easy to rasterize since scaling them is more good work.