Re: [multimachine] Re: dfm/spellcheck/o80829/23:27

  • William Dysinger
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 1, 2008
      At the start of installing evolution for linux you get to choose from about 25 or more different languages.
      Will, the Tink
      N45°29'05, W122°19.20

      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 2, 2008
        Hi Wil
        I have recently buy from my son his "old" computer that has 2
        40gigabytes HDD .Now I want to install to one of them the linux OS
        because there are some very good machining programs written for this
        OS.So I want your opinion on what distribution is easer to install
        since I have 3-4 of them from various magazines and what is this
        evolution for linux that you mentioned in your reply.
        Thanx Costas

        --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, William Dysinger <tinkerbill@...>
        wrote:

        > At the start of installing evolution for linux you get to choose from
        > about 25 or more different languages.
        > Will, the Tink
        > N45°29'05, W122°19.20

      • Randy Kramer
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 2, 2008
          On Tuesday 02 September 2008 03:33 am, cvlac wrote:
          > Hi Wil
          > I have recently buy from my son his "old" computer that has 2
          > 40gigabytes HDD .Now I want to install to one of them the linux OS
          > because there are some very good machining programs written for this
          > OS.So I want your opinion on what distribution is easer to install
          > since I have 3-4 of them from various magazines and what is this
          > evolution for linux that you mentioned in your reply.

          You didn't ask me, but that won't stop me from giving you my opinion:

          When I started making a transition to Linux (May through September, 2000), I
          collected quite a few install disks from various sources, purchased a few,
          got more from my local LUG, and from other sources, maybe including
          magazines. (I may have even downloaded a few, over my 33.6 kbps modem, which
          took on the order of 65 hours (5 nights). ;-)

          Anyway, with that collection in hand, I just started installing one after
          another. Several wouldn't install (for whatever reason, maybe incompatible
          hardware)--those got set aside. When I found one that would install, I'd
          play with it a few hours. When I had gone through the stack (and don't
          remember what all was on the stack), I picked what seemed the best to me from
          that group. That was Mandrake, either 6.0 or 6.2 (maybe I liked 6.0 well
          enough that I immediately went looking for the latest, which at that time was
          6.2).

          Currently, on my main machine, I'm using Mandriva2006. I haven't upgraded
          because it is often aggravating to get a new distro up to snuff with my old
          one what with added applications or customizations I've made. (I usually
          don't upgrade in any case, I install the new distro from scratch, preserving
          the configuration stuff in ~ (/home/<me>) , my data which I intentionally try
          to keep in a separate top level directory hierarchy (/<me>). Next time I do
          it, I'll also try to preserve /usr/local, which, is where many of the new
          apps I've installed are located. (Although some are also in ~.)

          On a laptop, I have a few years old version of Ubuntu. It seems to work fine
          (I don't use it that much), but there are a few issues that might be due to
          the laptop hardware. (Any Linux on a laptop is typically more problematical
          than on a desktop.)

          I have a newer machine on which I'll install a new version of Linux before I
          put it in service, and then gradually phase out my old machine. (I have a
          (cheap) KVM, so until then, I can easily switch between them.)

          I will choose between the latest Mandriva and the latest Ubuntu. Ubuntu has a
          great deal of appeal to me because it is "derived" from Debian, which is the
          "big" (30 CDs) Linux that is often favored by some hard core Linux and free
          software fans--the appeal for me is that it (along with some less free stuff
          added by Canonical, the maker of Ubuntu), probably makes the widest selection
          of programs available by the Debian / Ubuntu package manager (apt or some
          derivation thereof).

          Mandriva (at one point a derivative of Red Hat, not sure that is meaningful
          any more--I don't know if you could install a Red Hat rpm on a Mandriva
          system without problems) tends not to have as many applications packages
          available. Often enough, when I've wanted to install something, I couldn't
          find a Mandriva package. (Mandriva is the current name for what was
          Mandrake.)

          For what it's worth,
          Randy Kramer
          --
          "I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
          instead."--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 2, 2008
            Hi Randy
            First, thank you for reply.
            Then , I want to say that my needs from lynux are:I want to setup a
            machine shop computer installation that will not be connected to the
            internet, may be will have only some local network setup,will run on a
            40 Gb HDD, and in the same machine will run MSWindows too, in a second
            40 GB HDD. So I want the possibility to switch to the desired OS at
            start up. These HDD will run with no more 10GB of programs and the OS .
            They are mainly machining programs, like cutting speed calculators,
            CNC programs etc. Then I want to have the possibility to drive some
            CNC motors .
            I need also some hardware drivers for USB memory, USB , and
            serial and parallel port drivers, and finally the possibility to
            connect my external 150Gb to make some backup of the system.The
            possibility to connect some camera to this computer is wanted too.
            Given all this, please tell me about the proposed distribution
            where to download it, and some notion of the linux subfolders to
            create.I like too much KDE and his windowing system , and I want to be
            minimaly involved with the linux command line instructions and pseudocode.
            I have my main computer ( a HP laptop )with a quick ADSL connection in
            my house
            Thanx Costas

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 2, 2008
              Costas,
                  Linux will not lead you by the hand the way Windows and perhaps Apple's OS does. You have to know a little bit more about the computers hardware and how to best set it up. Having said that, I have found ubuntu to be the friendliest version of Linux to set up. In the install process for ubuntu, first comes the basic Linux OS, then the graphical interface with programs. I choose Gnome as my graphical interface. Next, you can configure your mail program to interface with your mail servers so you can download and send mail. In this case, I choose Evolution as my mail program and configure it to send and receive mail from multiple accounts. My accounts are with comcast, Yahoo, Gmail, and my own website: dysinger.info. Next you need a good internet browser. I choose Mozilla's Firefox! You will find when you download and install ubuntu Linux, with Gnome graphical interface(GFI), that it comes with the equivalent programs for just about everything you might want to do, all for free! No purchasing of software! If you install multiple HDD in your computer, Linux can treat them as one big array of HDD space if you want! If you first just want to read up about how ubuntu is supported & administrated, go to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/  If you want to learn more about how it works, take a test drive, and download the latest version, go to http://www.ubuntu.com/  You can choose to download it as an ISO image to be transferred to your DVD read/write drive or you can install it straight from the web without download. So in review, my best suggestions are the latest version of ubuntu Linux which is 8.04 LTS. It will contain the latest Gnome GFI, Evolution email program, and Mozilla/Firefox internet browser.
              If you have any questions, don't come to me! Naw, just kidding! I will try my best to help but maybe offline if it gets involved?

              Will, the Tink
              N45°29'05, W122°19.20

              wrote:

              > At the start of installing evolution for linux you get to choose from
              > about 25 or more different languages.
              > Will, the Tink
              > N45°29'05, W122°19.20

              SNIP
            • jimyjak1
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008
                Costas
                Check out LinuxQuestions.org There is a ton of info on this site.
                jimyjack

                wrote:

                > Costas,
                > Linux will not lead you by the hand the way Windows and perhaps
                > Apple's OS does. You have to know a little bit more about the computers
                > hardware and how to best set it up. Having said that, I have found
                > ubuntu to be the friendliest version of Linux to set up. In the install
                > process for ubuntu, first comes the basic Linux OS, then the graphical
                > interface with programs. I choose Gnome as my graphical interface. Next,
                > you can configure your mail program to interface with your mail servers
                > so you can download and send mail. In this case, I choose Evolution as
                > my mail program and configure it to send and receive mail from multiple
                > accounts. My accounts are with comcast, Yahoo, Gmail, and my own
                > website: dysinger.info. Next you need a good internet browser. I choose
                > Mozilla's Firefox! You will find when you download and install ubuntu
                > Linux, with Gnome graphical interface(GFI), that it comes with the
                > equivalent programs for just about everything you might want to do, all
                > for free! No purchasing of software! If you install multiple HDD in your
                > computer, Linux can treat them as one big array of HDD space if you
                > want! If you first just want to read up about how ubuntu is supported &
                > administrated, go to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ If you want to learn more
                > about how it works, take a test drive, and download the latest version,
                > go to http://www.ubuntu.com/ You can choose to download it as an ISO
                > image to be transferred to your DVD read/write drive or you can install
                > it straight from the web without download. So in review, my best
                > suggestions are the latest version of ubuntu Linux which is 8.04 LTS. It
                > will contain the latest Gnome GFI, Evolution email program, and
                > Mozilla/Firefox internet browser.
                > If you have any questions, don't come to me! Naw, just kidding! I will
                > try my best to help but maybe offline if it gets involved?
                >
                > Will, the Tink
                > N45°29'05, W122°19.20

              • Randy Kramer
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008
                  On Wednesday 03 September 2008 02:22 am, cvlac wrote:
                  > First, thank you for reply.

                  You're welcome!

                  > Then , I want to say that my needs from lynux are:I want to setup a
                  > machine shop computer installation that will not be connected to the
                  > internet, may be will have only some local network setup,will run on a
                  > 40 Gb HDD, and in the same machine will run MSWindows too, in a second
                  > 40 GB HDD.

                  In general, that's no problem, a dual boot setup is very common, it could even
                  be done from the same disk.

                  > So I want the possibility to switch to the desired OS at
                  > start up. These HDD will run with no more 10GB of programs and the OS .
                  > They are mainly machining programs, like cutting speed calculators,
                  > CNC programs etc.

                  > Then I want to have the possibility to drive some
                  > CNC motors .

                  That can be more problematic. Do you already have these motors and their
                  controllers? What kind of interface do they have? Do they have drivers for
                  Windows? (I don't really know, but in general, in many areas, there fewer
                  Linux than Windows drivers out there--you need to know what kind of interface
                  you need, then see if that is supported in Linux.)

                  > I need also some hardware drivers for USB memory, USB , and
                  > serial and parallel port drivers, and finally the possibility to
                  > connect my external 150Gb to make some backup of the system.The
                  > possibility to connect some camera to this computer is wanted too.

                  All of those are typically not a problem. Ubuntu has a pretty good reputation
                  for handling all of that type of stuff.

                  > Given all this, please tell me about the proposed distribution
                  > where to download it,

                  The CNC motors are the fly in the ointment. Ignoring those, I'd consider
                  trying Ubuntu first and see if it meets all your needs not including the CNC
                  motors. You'll have to do some more research on the CNC motors.

                  > and some notion of the linux subfolders to

                  Ubuntu will install the subfolders it needs, including a /home/<you>
                  subfolder. The main thing I typically do is create a /<me> top level
                  directory where I try to keep all my data, and a top level /backup directory
                  to do very quick backups before moving them to CD or DVD (or a plugin
                  harddrive).

                  Now, Linux gives you the opportunity to put any of those subfolders on
                  separate hard drives or partitions, and there are advantages to such, but to
                  start out, I'd just devote one of your hard drives to Linux, and let your
                  distro create the subfolders all in the same partition.

                  Hope that helps! I don't think you'll get away without learning some things
                  about a Linux system. Things just aren't exactly like a Windows system, and,
                  in the past, at least, the user has been expected to know more / do more for
                  himself on a Linux system.

                  Randy Kramer
                  --
                  "I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
                  instead."--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.
                • James Jackson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008

                    Linuxcnc.org has Ubuntu live with the cnc program installed. Download and burn it to CD and you are ready too go.
                    jimyjack

                    http://www.linuxcnc.org/

                    On Wednesday 03 September 2008 02:22 am, cvlac wrote:
                    > First, thank you for reply.

                    You're welcome!

> [...]

                    harddrive).

                    Now, Linux gives you the opportunity to put any of those subfolders on
                    separate hard drives or partitions, and there are advantages to such, but to
                    start out, I'd just devote one of your hard drives to Linux, and let your
                    distro create the subfolders all in the same partition.

                    Hope that helps! I don't think you'll get away without learning some
                    things
                    about a Linux system. Things just aren't exactly like a Windows system,
                    and,
                    in the past, at least, the user has been expected to know more / do more for
                    himself on a Linux system.

                    Randy Kramer
                    --
                    "I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
                    instead."--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.

                    <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:
                    mailto:multimachine-digest@yahoogroups.com
                    mailto:multimachine-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  • forget_simon
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008
                      Costas,

                      Linux is a LOT easier than it was 12 years ago (...) when I begun
                      poking around it.

                      Ubuntu (and its derivatives) is based on Debian, a well known and old
                      distribution with Linux as kernel. As with anything else, you'll need
                      some time and advises to learn it and appreciate a lot more. The Web
                      but also books will be your more important ressources through this
                      way. On books, you can't miss the ones published by O'Reilly
                      (Unix/Linux, Windows, MacOSX & Hacking are a few examples of their
                      titles).

                      Command line shouldn't be something to be scared of. If I was able to
                      learn it, I believe anybody could do the same.

                      I don't want to start a flamewar on which GUI you should use. Gnome
                      and KDE are leaders in graphical interfaces but you should choose the
                      one you'll used only base on how you're confortable with it. Programs
                      will follow after and you can mix them following your needs.

                      Don't expect however to do so without mistakes: you'll probably need
                      to reinstall a couple times before being confortable with the
                      administration of your workstation.

                      Without major problems, your Linux installation should be able to read
                      and write data on your Windows partitions. Dealing with cameras is,
                      however, a bit more tricky. You should read on this topic before doing
                      something harmfull.

                      So, for any comments or questions, feel free to post your questions
                      either on this forum (on which I perfer to read about the
                      MultiMachine) or directly.

                      Let's try now to get all the parts needed to build my MultiMachine... :)

                      P.S.: For the ones who have not understand in reading my poor written
                      English this is not my first language, I need to apologize. However,
                      I'll try to improve it. French is my first language.

                      Keep on your good work,

                      Simon

                      wrote:

                      > Costas,
                      > Linux will not lead you by the hand the way Windows and perhaps
                      > Apple's OS does. You have to know a little bit more about the computers
                      > hardware and how to best set it up. Having said that, I have found
                      > ubuntu to be the friendliest version of Linux to set up. In the install
                      > process for ubuntu, first comes the basic Linux OS, then the graphical
                      > interface with programs. I choose Gnome as my graphical interface. Next,
                      > you can configure your mail program to interface with your mail servers
                      > so you can download and send mail. In this case, I choose Evolution as
                      > my mail program and configure it to send and receive mail from multiple
                      > accounts. My accounts are with comcast, Yahoo, Gmail, and my own
                      > website: dysinger.info. Next you need a good internet browser. I choose
                      > Mozilla's Firefox! You will find when you download and install ubuntu
                      > Linux, with Gnome graphical interface(GFI), that it comes with the
                      > equivalent programs for just about everything you might want to do, all
                      > for free! No purchasing of software! If you install multiple HDD in your
                      > computer, Linux can treat them as one big array of HDD space if you
                      > want! If you first just want to read up about how ubuntu is supported &
                      > administrated, go to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ If you want to learn more
                      > about how it works, take a test drive, and download the latest version,
                      > go to http://www.ubuntu.com/ You can choose to download it as an ISO
                      > image to be transferred to your DVD read/write drive or you can install
                      > it straight from the web without download. So in review, my best
                      > suggestions are the latest version of ubuntu Linux which is 8.04 LTS. It
                      > will contain the latest Gnome GFI, Evolution email program, and
                      > Mozilla/Firefox internet browser.
                      > If you have any questions, don't come to me! Naw, just kidding! I will
                      > try my best to help but maybe offline if it gets involved?
                      >
                      > Will, the Tink
                      > N45°29'05, W122°19.20

                    • cvlac
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 4, 2008
                        Merci Simon
                        I'm not a really newbie with Linux, since some years ago,(10-12) i
                        had tried it by installing Susie 6.0 .It was a little difficult to
                        work with it, and computers of the time was not very powerful yet.Now
                        I want to use it only as a partition of my workshop computer just to
                        have the possibility to run some very specialized programs .So a
                        graphical interface is a very good thing for me.
                        Now about your MM construction you can tell us about every problem
                        that you have and we see what we can do.
                        Thank you again Costas