Re: dfm/spellcheck/o80829/23:27

  • hepps_29646
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 31, 2008
      Jack,
      I'm sorry I can't help you. The only language I'm at all fluent in is
      English and sometimes I have trouble with it.
      Harold

      > yes but it work only in one language
      >
      > no more
      >
      > for exemple I work in french english germen russian spanish
      >
      > my mother language is french canadian
      > if you can fix this
      > tel me HOW
      >

      > jack 47'N 71'W
    • William Dysinger
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 1, 2008
        At the start of installing evolution for linux you get to choose from about 25 or more different languages.
        Will, the Tink
        N45°29'05, W122°19.20

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 2, 2008
          Hi Wil
          I have recently buy from my son his "old" computer that has 2
          40gigabytes HDD .Now I want to install to one of them the linux OS
          because there are some very good machining programs written for this
          OS.So I want your opinion on what distribution is easer to install
          since I have 3-4 of them from various magazines and what is this
          evolution for linux that you mentioned in your reply.
          Thanx Costas

          --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, William Dysinger <tinkerbill@...>
          wrote:

          > At the start of installing evolution for linux you get to choose from
          > about 25 or more different languages.
          > Will, the Tink
          > N45°29'05, W122°19.20

        • Randy Kramer
          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 2, 2008
            On Tuesday 02 September 2008 03:33 am, cvlac wrote:
            > Hi Wil
            > I have recently buy from my son his "old" computer that has 2
            > 40gigabytes HDD .Now I want to install to one of them the linux OS
            > because there are some very good machining programs written for this
            > OS.So I want your opinion on what distribution is easer to install
            > since I have 3-4 of them from various magazines and what is this
            > evolution for linux that you mentioned in your reply.

            You didn't ask me, but that won't stop me from giving you my opinion:

            When I started making a transition to Linux (May through September, 2000), I
            collected quite a few install disks from various sources, purchased a few,
            got more from my local LUG, and from other sources, maybe including
            magazines. (I may have even downloaded a few, over my 33.6 kbps modem, which
            took on the order of 65 hours (5 nights). ;-)

            Anyway, with that collection in hand, I just started installing one after
            another. Several wouldn't install (for whatever reason, maybe incompatible
            hardware)--those got set aside. When I found one that would install, I'd
            play with it a few hours. When I had gone through the stack (and don't
            remember what all was on the stack), I picked what seemed the best to me from
            that group. That was Mandrake, either 6.0 or 6.2 (maybe I liked 6.0 well
            enough that I immediately went looking for the latest, which at that time was
            6.2).

            Currently, on my main machine, I'm using Mandriva2006. I haven't upgraded
            because it is often aggravating to get a new distro up to snuff with my old
            one what with added applications or customizations I've made. (I usually
            don't upgrade in any case, I install the new distro from scratch, preserving
            the configuration stuff in ~ (/home/<me>) , my data which I intentionally try
            to keep in a separate top level directory hierarchy (/<me>). Next time I do
            it, I'll also try to preserve /usr/local, which, is where many of the new
            apps I've installed are located. (Although some are also in ~.)

            On a laptop, I have a few years old version of Ubuntu. It seems to work fine
            (I don't use it that much), but there are a few issues that might be due to
            the laptop hardware. (Any Linux on a laptop is typically more problematical
            than on a desktop.)

            I have a newer machine on which I'll install a new version of Linux before I
            put it in service, and then gradually phase out my old machine. (I have a
            (cheap) KVM, so until then, I can easily switch between them.)

            I will choose between the latest Mandriva and the latest Ubuntu. Ubuntu has a
            great deal of appeal to me because it is "derived" from Debian, which is the
            "big" (30 CDs) Linux that is often favored by some hard core Linux and free
            software fans--the appeal for me is that it (along with some less free stuff
            added by Canonical, the maker of Ubuntu), probably makes the widest selection
            of programs available by the Debian / Ubuntu package manager (apt or some
            derivation thereof).

            Mandriva (at one point a derivative of Red Hat, not sure that is meaningful
            any more--I don't know if you could install a Red Hat rpm on a Mandriva
            system without problems) tends not to have as many applications packages
            available. Often enough, when I've wanted to install something, I couldn't
            find a Mandriva package. (Mandriva is the current name for what was
            Mandrake.)

            For what it's worth,
            Randy Kramer
            --
            "I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
            instead."--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.
            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 2, 2008
              Hi Randy
              First, thank you for reply.
              Then , I want to say that my needs from lynux are:I want to setup a
              machine shop computer installation that will not be connected to the
              internet, may be will have only some local network setup,will run on a
              40 Gb HDD, and in the same machine will run MSWindows too, in a second
              40 GB HDD. So I want the possibility to switch to the desired OS at
              start up. These HDD will run with no more 10GB of programs and the OS .
              They are mainly machining programs, like cutting speed calculators,
              CNC programs etc. Then I want to have the possibility to drive some
              CNC motors .
              I need also some hardware drivers for USB memory, USB , and
              serial and parallel port drivers, and finally the possibility to
              connect my external 150Gb to make some backup of the system.The
              possibility to connect some camera to this computer is wanted too.
              Given all this, please tell me about the proposed distribution
              where to download it, and some notion of the linux subfolders to
              create.I like too much KDE and his windowing system , and I want to be
              minimaly involved with the linux command line instructions and pseudocode.
              I have my main computer ( a HP laptop )with a quick ADSL connection in
              my house
              Thanx Costas

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 2, 2008
                Costas,
                    Linux will not lead you by the hand the way Windows and perhaps Apple's OS does. You have to know a little bit more about the computers hardware and how to best set it up. Having said that, I have found ubuntu to be the friendliest version of Linux to set up. In the install process for ubuntu, first comes the basic Linux OS, then the graphical interface with programs. I choose Gnome as my graphical interface. Next, you can configure your mail program to interface with your mail servers so you can download and send mail. In this case, I choose Evolution as my mail program and configure it to send and receive mail from multiple accounts. My accounts are with comcast, Yahoo, Gmail, and my own website: dysinger.info. Next you need a good internet browser. I choose Mozilla's Firefox! You will find when you download and install ubuntu Linux, with Gnome graphical interface(GFI), that it comes with the equivalent programs for just about everything you might want to do, all for free! No purchasing of software! If you install multiple HDD in your computer, Linux can treat them as one big array of HDD space if you want! If you first just want to read up about how ubuntu is supported & administrated, go to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/  If you want to learn more about how it works, take a test drive, and download the latest version, go to http://www.ubuntu.com/  You can choose to download it as an ISO image to be transferred to your DVD read/write drive or you can install it straight from the web without download. So in review, my best suggestions are the latest version of ubuntu Linux which is 8.04 LTS. It will contain the latest Gnome GFI, Evolution email program, and Mozilla/Firefox internet browser.
                If you have any questions, don't come to me! Naw, just kidding! I will try my best to help but maybe offline if it gets involved?

                Will, the Tink
                N45°29'05, W122°19.20

                wrote:

                > At the start of installing evolution for linux you get to choose from
                > about 25 or more different languages.
                > Will, the Tink
                > N45°29'05, W122°19.20

                SNIP
              • jimyjak1
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008
                  Costas
                  Check out LinuxQuestions.org There is a ton of info on this site.
                  jimyjack

                  wrote:

                  > Costas,
                  > Linux will not lead you by the hand the way Windows and perhaps
                  > Apple's OS does. You have to know a little bit more about the computers
                  > hardware and how to best set it up. Having said that, I have found
                  > ubuntu to be the friendliest version of Linux to set up. In the install
                  > process for ubuntu, first comes the basic Linux OS, then the graphical
                  > interface with programs. I choose Gnome as my graphical interface. Next,
                  > you can configure your mail program to interface with your mail servers
                  > so you can download and send mail. In this case, I choose Evolution as
                  > my mail program and configure it to send and receive mail from multiple
                  > accounts. My accounts are with comcast, Yahoo, Gmail, and my own
                  > website: dysinger.info. Next you need a good internet browser. I choose
                  > Mozilla's Firefox! You will find when you download and install ubuntu
                  > Linux, with Gnome graphical interface(GFI), that it comes with the
                  > equivalent programs for just about everything you might want to do, all
                  > for free! No purchasing of software! If you install multiple HDD in your
                  > computer, Linux can treat them as one big array of HDD space if you
                  > want! If you first just want to read up about how ubuntu is supported &
                  > administrated, go to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ If you want to learn more
                  > about how it works, take a test drive, and download the latest version,
                  > go to http://www.ubuntu.com/ You can choose to download it as an ISO
                  > image to be transferred to your DVD read/write drive or you can install
                  > it straight from the web without download. So in review, my best
                  > suggestions are the latest version of ubuntu Linux which is 8.04 LTS. It
                  > will contain the latest Gnome GFI, Evolution email program, and
                  > Mozilla/Firefox internet browser.
                  > If you have any questions, don't come to me! Naw, just kidding! I will
                  > try my best to help but maybe offline if it gets involved?
                  >
                  > Will, the Tink
                  > N45°29'05, W122°19.20

                • Randy Kramer
                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008
                    On Wednesday 03 September 2008 02:22 am, cvlac wrote:
                    > First, thank you for reply.

                    You're welcome!

                    > Then , I want to say that my needs from lynux are:I want to setup a
                    > machine shop computer installation that will not be connected to the
                    > internet, may be will have only some local network setup,will run on a
                    > 40 Gb HDD, and in the same machine will run MSWindows too, in a second
                    > 40 GB HDD.

                    In general, that's no problem, a dual boot setup is very common, it could even
                    be done from the same disk.

                    > So I want the possibility to switch to the desired OS at
                    > start up. These HDD will run with no more 10GB of programs and the OS .
                    > They are mainly machining programs, like cutting speed calculators,
                    > CNC programs etc.

                    > Then I want to have the possibility to drive some
                    > CNC motors .

                    That can be more problematic. Do you already have these motors and their
                    controllers? What kind of interface do they have? Do they have drivers for
                    Windows? (I don't really know, but in general, in many areas, there fewer
                    Linux than Windows drivers out there--you need to know what kind of interface
                    you need, then see if that is supported in Linux.)

                    > I need also some hardware drivers for USB memory, USB , and
                    > serial and parallel port drivers, and finally the possibility to
                    > connect my external 150Gb to make some backup of the system.The
                    > possibility to connect some camera to this computer is wanted too.

                    All of those are typically not a problem. Ubuntu has a pretty good reputation
                    for handling all of that type of stuff.

                    > Given all this, please tell me about the proposed distribution
                    > where to download it,

                    The CNC motors are the fly in the ointment. Ignoring those, I'd consider
                    trying Ubuntu first and see if it meets all your needs not including the CNC
                    motors. You'll have to do some more research on the CNC motors.

                    > and some notion of the linux subfolders to

                    Ubuntu will install the subfolders it needs, including a /home/<you>
                    subfolder. The main thing I typically do is create a /<me> top level
                    directory where I try to keep all my data, and a top level /backup directory
                    to do very quick backups before moving them to CD or DVD (or a plugin
                    harddrive).

                    Now, Linux gives you the opportunity to put any of those subfolders on
                    separate hard drives or partitions, and there are advantages to such, but to
                    start out, I'd just devote one of your hard drives to Linux, and let your
                    distro create the subfolders all in the same partition.

                    Hope that helps! I don't think you'll get away without learning some things
                    about a Linux system. Things just aren't exactly like a Windows system, and,
                    in the past, at least, the user has been expected to know more / do more for
                    himself on a Linux system.

                    Randy Kramer
                    --
                    "I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
                    instead."--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.
                  • James Jackson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008

                      Linuxcnc.org has Ubuntu live with the cnc program installed. Download and burn it to CD and you are ready too go.
                      jimyjack

                      http://www.linuxcnc.org/

                      On Wednesday 03 September 2008 02:22 am, cvlac wrote:
                      > First, thank you for reply.

                      You're welcome!

> [...]

                      harddrive).

                      Now, Linux gives you the opportunity to put any of those subfolders on
                      separate hard drives or partitions, and there are advantages to such, but to
                      start out, I'd just devote one of your hard drives to Linux, and let your
                      distro create the subfolders all in the same partition.

                      Hope that helps! I don't think you'll get away without learning some
                      things
                      about a Linux system. Things just aren't exactly like a Windows system,
                      and,
                      in the past, at least, the user has been expected to know more / do more for
                      himself on a Linux system.

                      Randy Kramer
                      --
                      "I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
                      instead."--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.

                      <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                      mailto:multimachine-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      mailto:multimachine-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • forget_simon
                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 3, 2008
                        Costas,

                        Linux is a LOT easier than it was 12 years ago (...) when I begun
                        poking around it.

                        Ubuntu (and its derivatives) is based on Debian, a well known and old
                        distribution with Linux as kernel. As with anything else, you'll need
                        some time and advises to learn it and appreciate a lot more. The Web
                        but also books will be your more important ressources through this
                        way. On books, you can't miss the ones published by O'Reilly
                        (Unix/Linux, Windows, MacOSX & Hacking are a few examples of their
                        titles).

                        Command line shouldn't be something to be scared of. If I was able to
                        learn it, I believe anybody could do the same.

                        I don't want to start a flamewar on which GUI you should use. Gnome
                        and KDE are leaders in graphical interfaces but you should choose the
                        one you'll used only base on how you're confortable with it. Programs
                        will follow after and you can mix them following your needs.

                        Don't expect however to do so without mistakes: you'll probably need
                        to reinstall a couple times before being confortable with the
                        administration of your workstation.

                        Without major problems, your Linux installation should be able to read
                        and write data on your Windows partitions. Dealing with cameras is,
                        however, a bit more tricky. You should read on this topic before doing
                        something harmfull.

                        So, for any comments or questions, feel free to post your questions
                        either on this forum (on which I perfer to read about the
                        MultiMachine) or directly.

                        Let's try now to get all the parts needed to build my MultiMachine... :)

                        P.S.: For the ones who have not understand in reading my poor written
                        English this is not my first language, I need to apologize. However,
                        I'll try to improve it. French is my first language.

                        Keep on your good work,

                        Simon

                        wrote:

                        > Costas,
                        > Linux will not lead you by the hand the way Windows and perhaps
                        > Apple's OS does. You have to know a little bit more about the computers
                        > hardware and how to best set it up. Having said that, I have found
                        > ubuntu to be the friendliest version of Linux to set up. In the install
                        > process for ubuntu, first comes the basic Linux OS, then the graphical
                        > interface with programs. I choose Gnome as my graphical interface. Next,
                        > you can configure your mail program to interface with your mail servers
                        > so you can download and send mail. In this case, I choose Evolution as
                        > my mail program and configure it to send and receive mail from multiple
                        > accounts. My accounts are with comcast, Yahoo, Gmail, and my own
                        > website: dysinger.info. Next you need a good internet browser. I choose
                        > Mozilla's Firefox! You will find when you download and install ubuntu
                        > Linux, with Gnome graphical interface(GFI), that it comes with the
                        > equivalent programs for just about everything you might want to do, all
                        > for free! No purchasing of software! If you install multiple HDD in your
                        > computer, Linux can treat them as one big array of HDD space if you
                        > want! If you first just want to read up about how ubuntu is supported &
                        > administrated, go to https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ If you want to learn more
                        > about how it works, take a test drive, and download the latest version,
                        > go to http://www.ubuntu.com/ You can choose to download it as an ISO
                        > image to be transferred to your DVD read/write drive or you can install
                        > it straight from the web without download. So in review, my best
                        > suggestions are the latest version of ubuntu Linux which is 8.04 LTS. It
                        > will contain the latest Gnome GFI, Evolution email program, and
                        > Mozilla/Firefox internet browser.
                        > If you have any questions, don't come to me! Naw, just kidding! I will
                        > try my best to help but maybe offline if it gets involved?
                        >
                        > Will, the Tink
                        > N45°29'05, W122°19.20

                      • cvlac
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 4, 2008
                          Merci Simon
                          I'm not a really newbie with Linux, since some years ago,(10-12) i
                          had tried it by installing Susie 6.0 .It was a little difficult to
                          work with it, and computers of the time was not very powerful yet.Now
                          I want to use it only as a partition of my workshop computer just to
                          have the possibility to run some very specialized programs .So a
                          graphical interface is a very good thing for me.
                          Now about your MM construction you can tell us about every problem
                          that you have and we see what we can do.
                          Thank you again Costas