Re: [multimachine] Re: Theading

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 12, 2008
      Hello Anthony
      The drawing is a concept drawing
       I made the drawing about two years ago and things change as building go on.
      As for the placement of the sprocket I will place mine and I think Costas are useing a
       taper bushing pulley. With this type of pulley we are able to bolt it to the outside of the
       pulley  the sprocket has to be bored to the shaft size and drilled for hole to fit the bolts.
       I have a spindle shaft with 2 3/8 dia and fixed in the shaft. I have to use a sprocket with
       enought diameter so the chain does not hit the pulley bushing.

       The shaft from the back of the block to the front is set out to clear the block.
       The block and ways for the slide have to be cleared by the shaft.
       This works good because other set of sprockets gets the ratio you need for threading.

       By doing this the leadscrew can be close to the carriage and keep the twist to a minimum
       I think i said that it is not as simple as it looks.

      And the shaft I am makeing is not for a MM it is for my wood turning lathe.

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 13, 2008
        Hi Keith
        Me too, looking at your drawing "mulimach, the fifth photo in the
        drp shops 2 photo album ,I see a normal lathe threading mechanism ,
        but it is not very adequate to be used by the MM.
        With this ,I mean that if the MM table goes up and down ,it will
        hit the intermediate axle that brings motion from the the back of the
        MM spindle.As an idea I'm proposing to for this purpose to use the
        first bore of the MM ,(this one used by Pat to hold the overarm) from
        the upper side of the MM .The only emerging problem with this
        solution,is that the belt or the chain must be changed each time you
        change the threading ratio. And of course for a given fixed position
        of the vertical slide because the cutting tool must be and moved at a
        very precise horizontal plane.
        I think that this is a good idea for me that I have a pure MM ,
        but it is not for you that you have build a "hybrid" MM on a wooden base.
        From the other side, it is difficult now to adapt to the front of
        the MM a tapper bush because of the larger diameter of my spindle to
        the front .The back of the spindle is machined to 45mm OD smaller than
        the front that helps mounting the large pulley taper bush .You can see
        it in my photos.Any way I insist that you must make some simple design
        of your proposition since like me , a lot of people are using english
        language occasionally and can't follow long text explanations.
        Thanx Costas

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 16, 2008
          Hello Costas
           I have not forgot about you.
           I am makeing some more drawings for you to help you understand why I designed the way I did.
          I seems like the best idea to me , the shaft place on the side of the machine has less problems with pulley and the chuck. A shaft in the bore on top of the machine the chain drive would hit the chuck?
          You have to change sprockets for the different threads The little sprockets are cheaper than
           gears. I can buy a set of sprockets for the $$ of one change gear.

           I am haveing trouble seing the pulley in the photos, the photo is not well to see.

[...]
          From the other side, it is difficult now to adapt to the front of