Re: [multimachine] Re: magnetic chuck

  • Bob Gilbert
    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
      Thanks. That will be great.

      Bob

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "louisrfnauto" <louisrfnauto@...>
      To: <multimachine@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2008 4:09 PM
      Subject: [multimachine] Re: magnetic chuck

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 6, 2008
        Of course you could just get a *big* neodymium magnet and bolt it to a
        faceplate:

        http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm

        Take a look at "Super Magnet #31" for $100 you get a 3" diameter, 1"
        thick disc that exerts 270lbs of force on a steel workpiece.

        Now unlike a proper PM chuck, you'll have to figure out how the heck
        to get the part off the faceplate, then figure how to get all the
        swarf off it. Plus every random steel object in the shop will tend to
        want to become a projectile and will happily pass through you to get
        to the chuck... Maybe not the best of plans in retrospect.
      • jacques savard
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
          how do you center the work peice

          difficult maybe

          jack 47'n 71'W

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 7, 2008
          • jacques savard
            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 10, 2008
              I have a very big magnet from old hard disk from 80' cpu

              the disk is about 16 inch wide
              the magnet is 6 inch wide 4 inch hight whit a kind of copper coil inside
              about 2 inch by 3 to mouve the hreading head on the 8 plato about 200 meg
              Hard disk very big for the 80 mini cpu

              I plan at fisrt to used it for heart quate detection
              BUT now you said it is possible to used it as a cCHUCK

              1-but how exactly?
              2- do you have exemple?
              3- do you have sommercial exemple?
              4- how to center the turning peace?

              help please

              I am ready to test any edeal for you

              jack 47'N 71'W
              NB maybe easyer to work horizontaly a kind of milling

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 10, 2008
                I've never used a magnet chuck, but I could see three possibilities
                for centering the workpiece:

                In a permanent magnet chuck. If the magnets are laid out well, the
                forces will balance, and the work will tend to crudely self-center.

                If your chuck uses electromagnets you could adjust the field strength
                to each coil to better center the work.

                The third option is to take an oversized workpiece, lap one side flat,
                and put that side on the magnet. Now, you can face the piece, and
                turn the outer surface. After that it should be dead-nuts centered.
                The advantage of your magnetic chuck is that except for the reference
                face that is pressing against the magnet, you can machine pretty well
                the whole surface of the part in one setup.

                Now here's the fun part. Expect any piece of tempered high-carbon
                steel that comes into contact with that chuck to be instantly
                magnetized. You do not want the want to magnetize your indicators.

                On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 9:02 AM, jacques savard
                <jacquessavard@...> wrote:
                > I have a very big magnet from old hard disk from 80' cpu
                >
                > the disk is about 16 inch wide
                > the magnet is 6 inch wide 4 inch hight whit a kind of copper coil inside
                > about 2 inch by 3 to mouve the hreading head on the 8 plato about 200 meg
                > Hard disk very big for the 80 mini cpu
                >
                > I plan at fisrt to used it for heart quate detection
                > BUT now you said it is possible to used it as a cCHUCK
                >
                > 1-but how exactly?
                > 2- do you have exemple?
                > 3- do you have sommercial exemple?
                > 4- how to center the turning peace?
                >
                > help please
                >
                > I am ready to test any edeal for you
                >
                > jack 47'N 71'W
                > NB maybe easyer to work horizontaly a kind of milling
                >
                >> --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Gilbert" <traceya@...> wrote:
                >> >
                >> > Howdy Folks,
                >> >
                >> > Where can I find out how a magnetic chuck like used on a surface
                >> > grinder is made using permenate magnets?
                >> >
                >> > Thanks,
                >> > Bob
                >> >home shop machinist did article on one,have issue can copy and mail
                >> f$5 louisrfnauto@...

              • Jacques Savard
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 29, 2009
                  someboday tel me
                  here i can find and how to built a mag chuck

                  From my magnet I take from floppy disk
                  3 inch round 1\4 stick

                  but i read in file section and do not find anything about

                  can you help please

                  jack 47'N 71'W
                • Jacques Savard
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 29, 2009
                    oupps

                    I thing i find it

                    but it is elctromagnetic chuck

                    not magnetic chuck from permanent mag

                    if somebady know how or what the principe in back of these type of
                    mag chuck

                    I have lot of mag from floppy disk very powerfull

                    but do not know how to set it

                    jack 47'N 71'W

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 29, 2009
                      Maybe some of the following will help:

                      This one is an electro-permanent magnetic chuck. It uses electricity
                      to turn the chuck on and off, but the permanent magnets supply the
                      holding force.

                      http://www.moldmakingtechnology.com/articles/030202.html

                      Here are some patents that explain permanent magnetic chucks. They
                      use a mechanical switch to change the field shunting. You will
                      probably find the drawings informative. The referenced patents
                      contain the historical sources for these technologies.

                      http://www.google.com/patents?id=VekRAAAAEBAJ
                      http://www.google.com/patents?id=SnAvAAAAEBAJ
                      http://www.google.com/patents?id=-rd1AAAAEBAJ