Re: [multimachine] Posting Rules or Guidelines?

  • Roy J. Tellason
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 7 10:26 AM
      On Friday 06 June 2008 14:40, Randy Kramer wrote:
      > Thanks to all who have replied so far!
      >
      > I'm going to try to reply to Rich, jimyjak, and Pat in this email.
      >
      > On Friday 06 June 2008 01:39 pm, you wrote (reordered for my convenience in
      > responding):
      > > You can't choose what directory to save attachments to? What mailer are
      > > you using? Kmail? I'm not familiar with that one. Are you running
      > > Linux?
      >
      > I can't recall that I ever thought about it before today (even though I may
      > have done it--I'm getting sort of long in the tooth ;-) --yes, I can do
      > that, but that doesn't remove the attachment from the email, so I'm still
      > faced with doing something like what you describe below if I want to save
      > the email text without the attachment.

      I use kmail here. If you want to save an email without the attachment the
      only choice is to move it to the drafts folder, then edit the message, at
      which point you can remove the attachment and save it back to the drafts
      folder, at which point you can save it, move it back to some other folder,
      etc.

      > When your email client saves an attachment in a directory, does it get
      > removed from the original email (or is there an option to do that)?
      >
      > BTW, yes, I'm running Linux, and kmail is the KDE email client.
      >
      > > I don't like email attachments either, but if you really want to save a
      > > message without attachments outside of your mailbox it should be pretty
      > > simple to create a new text file, select all the email text (ctrl-A in
      > > Windows and usually in Linux, cmd-A on Macs), copy the text (ctrl-C or
      > > cmd-C), and paste it into the text file (ctrl-V or cmd-V).
      >
      > Yes, I can do that. The problem is that the text is then saved somewhere
      > other than with all my other email messages. (Unless I go through further
      > gymnastics to make that text file look like an email file, import it back
      > into kmail, and then save it in the appropriate folder--it can be done, but
      > that's more work than I want to do (although I may look into automating it,
      > or seeing if someone has already automated it).)

      See above for the easiest way to do it.

      > Re: Reading the list online instead of by email:
      >
      > I prefer to read the lists I subscribe to via email--the stuff is delivered
      > to me and I can read it at my convenience.

      Just so.

      > Afaik, it is Pat's list, so if he doesn't want guidelines or rules, unless
      > there is some major groundswell to the contrary (or he delegates the
      > responsibility to create guidelines), there won't be any.

      That all being said, I still wondered when I saw the mail run that brought
      that particular post in -- only 2 messages in it, and up over three quarters
      of a megabyte?! It wasn't that big of a deal for me, but if I was still on
      dialup I'd be pretty unhappy about it.

      BTW, if anybody has datasheets like that they want posted online, feel free
      to contact me offlist and we'll figure something out. I have a whole pile of
      stuff online already here:

      http://www.classiccmp.org/rtellason/parts-index.html

      and will get around to adding that one at some point, though I haven't gotten
      to it yet.

      -
      M Dakin
    • Roy J. Tellason
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 7 10:29 AM
        On Friday 06 June 2008 17:54, Randy Kramer wrote:
        > On Friday 06 June 2008 03:41 pm, William Dysinger wrote:
        > > Under ubuntu linux, I use Gnome as my GFI and evolution as my mail
        > > program but would assume that the following procedure could be done in a
        > > lot of email programs: create a new email, copy/paste text that you want
        > > to save from the other email into the new email, name new email whatever
        > > you want, then save a draft copy and close the new email without any
        > > further saving. Now you have a copy of the text only file in your drafts
        > > folder. Click/drag that file to whatever folder you choose. For me, it's
        > > a folder I named "MM_good_ideas".
        >
        > Will,
        >
        > Thanks! That might be slightly easier than some of the approaches I've
        > considered or tried, but still not as simple as not having to handle the
        > problem to begin with, i.e., having some rules or guidelines to try to
        > avoid (large) attachments (or HTML) in email. ;-)

        BTW, the method I mention for removing attachments in my other nearby post
        also works well for removing HTML parts, another thing I don't like in
        emails at all -- a _text_ medium as far as I'm concerned. :-)

        -
        M Dakin
      • Roy J. Tellason
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 7 10:32 AM
          On Friday 06 June 2008 18:15, danny257@... wrote:
          > Most e-mail is html

          On AOL maybe, they're one of the people that promote such garbage. Here it's
          the exception, and only occasional.

          If you read yahoo groups much you'll start seeing on the bottom of
          messages "non-text portions of this email have been removed" -- that refers
          to the HTML!

          As far as I'm concerned (and I'm not the only one to hold this view) HTML is
          for web pages and has NO place in emails!

          -
          M Dakin
        • Roy J. Tellason
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 7 10:35 AM
            On Friday 06 June 2008 18:56, Donald H Locker wrote:
            > <rant>
            > Which is a crime, in my book. If words can't express what needs to be
            > said, changing fonts or size or stroke width won't get the message across
            > either.
            >
            > Even worse, though, is stuff that is composed in some "rich text" format by
            > unsuspecting non-technologist, then sent as both plain and "rich." A 500
            > character message embedded in a 9000 or 10000 byte email is truly criminal.
            > It's no wonder our costs are rising like a rocket and the economy is going
            > down the tubes - we're wasting 90 or 95% of some of our most accessible
            > resources like they're totally cost-free.
            > </rant>
            >
            > ALL my email is plain text.
            > Donald.

            :-)

            As is all of mine.

            Oh, and one other thing while I'm going on about it, most times when stuff
            comes through here with HTML there's a text portion to it and I can ignore
            the HTML part. Once in a while, though, I get one in where the text
            portion of it is missing and there's *only* HTML there. Those I don't bother
            with trying to read, I just delete 'em.

            So, is communication important to you? Do you want your message to get read?
            That's a hint, there...

            -
            M Dakin
          • Roy J. Tellason
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 7 10:37 AM
              On Friday 06 June 2008 22:46, Pierre Coueffin wrote:
              > On the linux front, I've been running slackware since the mid 90's. I
              > don't use it, but I could probably add a feature to allow kmail to
              > save messages without attachments, and auto-converted into plain
              > text... It'd be easier to do it in procmail, and have kmail invoke
              > the procmail filters when it grabs your messages though. I did some
              > similar things on the server side at a company I worked for years ago.
              > Made it automatically dump any large messages or messages with large
              > attachments to a secure ftp site, and replace the message with a link
              > to the ftp server.

              I've run Slackware pretty much exclusively since about 1999 myself, and if
              you want to kick around more on that offlist by all means feel free to drop
              me an email, as procmail and all that sort of stuff isn't something I've
              messed with much, so far...

              -
              M Dakin
            • Randy Kramer
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 10 2:43 PM
                On Saturday 07 June 2008 01:35 pm, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
                > On Friday 06 June 2008 18:56, Donald H Locker wrote:
                > > ALL my email is plain text.
                > As is all of mine.

                Not trying to rekindle this thread, I think we should let it die. I just
                wanted to mention that Yahoo has an option (for a list, for the list-owner or
                moderator) which strips attachments from emails posted to the list.

                Unfortunately, they don't have anything similar for HTML emails.

                Randy Kramer