Re: Heavier duty Cole drill mechanism

  • hepps_29646
    Message 1 of 8 , May 31 9:45 PM
      Pat,
      I'm confused about the pivot point. If it's fixed it seems that the
      down pressure provided by the tensioner would put side pressure on the
      bit as it attempted to circle the pivot.
      Harold

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
        You are quite right Harold, any drill like this will not make a
        perfectly vertical hole. I left out the part of the design that has a
        guide for the spindle. I figured that the ball on the spindle,
        combined with the guide would make enough of a vertical hole for much
        third world work. It will certainly more accurate than I could do with
        a hand held drill motor.

        Pat

        -- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "hepps_29646" <hepps_29646@...> wrote:

        > Pat,
        > I'm confused about the pivot point. If it's fixed it seems that the
        > down pressure provided by the tensioner would put side pressure on the
        > bit as it attempted to circle the pivot.
        > Harold
        >
        > > It's the last picture in the "1 Cole" (first) folder. It should be
        > > durable while still buildable from material found in a disaster area.
        > >
        > > What do you think?
        > >
        > > Pat

      • hepps_29646
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2008
          Pat,
          Thanks for the explanation now it's clear as day. I didn't comprehend
          that the ball would act as a swivel and allow it to drill in a
          straight line. It seems to me that it should work. You've probably
          even thought of a handy source for a ball. All I can come up with is
          a pool hall.
          I agree about the inaccuracy of a hand held drill motor. When I
          finally moved up to a cheap imported drill press the difference was
          like night and day.
          Harold

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
            Hi Harold
            I'm looking for a croquet ball but actually a wood rasp could be used
            to round off a square block and would work just as well.

            wrote:

            > Pat,
            > Thanks for the explanation now it's clear as day. I didn't comprehend
            > that the ball would act as a swivel and allow it to drill in a
            > straight line. It seems to me that it should work. You've probably
            > even thought of a handy source for a ball. All I can come up with is
            > a pool hall.
            > I agree about the inaccuracy of a hand held drill motor. When I
            > finally moved up to a cheap imported drill press the difference was
            > like night and day.
            > Harold
            > >
            > > You are quite right Harold, any drill like this will not make a
            > > perfectly vertical hole. I left out the part of the design that has a
            > > guide for the spindle. I figured that the ball on the spindle,
            > > combined with the guide would make enough of a vertical hole for much
            > > third world work. It will certainly more accurate than I could do with
            > > a hand held drill motor.
            > >
            > > Pat
            > >
            > > -- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "hepps_29646" <hepps_29646@>
            wrote:

            > > > Pat,
            > > > I'm confused about the pivot point. If it's fixed it seems that the
            > > > down pressure provided by the tensioner would put side pressure
            on the
            > > > bit as it attempted to circle the pivot.
            > > > Harold

            > area.

          • hepps_29646
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
              Pat,
              I hadn't thought about a croquet ball. I figured you had something in
              mind.
              Harold

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2008
                hepps_29646 wrote:
                > Pat,
                > I hadn't thought about a croquet ball. I figured you had something in
                > mind.
                > Harold
                >
                >> Hi Harold
                >> I'm looking for a croquet ball but actually a wood rasp could be used
                >> to round off a square block and would work just as well.
                >>
                >> Pat

                How about pool balls? "Put your back behind that 8-ball!"

                --
                David G. LeVine
                Nashua, NH 03060
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 5, 2008
                  It doesn't need to be fully spherical. Just the upper surface needs a
                  little contour, that could easily be done with a rasp and some way to
                  spin it. Maple makes great wooden bearings.
                  Jeff

                  --- In multimachine@yahoogroups.com, "David G. LeVine"